FM hipowers?

PDA

clipse
June 18, 2004, 12:29 PM
Whats the opinion on them. Good for the money? total crap? What?

If you enjoyed reading about "FM hipowers?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
RON in PA
June 18, 2004, 12:55 PM
Had one a few years back, totally reliable with ball ammo over approx. 1500-2000 rounds. Not the fit and finish of a Browning, but at a much cheaper price. Well worth considering if you don't want to spend the money on a FN or Browning.

Man-O-War
June 18, 2004, 02:15 PM
I had one years ago that I sold to buy another gun. Regretted it for years. I finally got another one and I plan to hold on to this one. Both of mine have been 100 percent reliable (with good magazines). As stated by RON in PA, they do not have the fit and finish of the Brownings, but they function just as well or better and cost a whole lot less. My Browning stays in the safe and the FM is the one that I actually shoot. Excellent deal for the money.

BTW, if you buy one and it is malfunctioning, replace the magazine with a good magazine such as Mec-Gar. My current FM would not shoot 3 rounds without malfunctioning until I replaced the magazine. It has not had a single malfunction since.

bountyhunter
June 18, 2004, 03:04 PM
FN is the owner of Browning, so all HI-powers are made by FN. They currently sell one as the "Browning" version and one as the "FN" version, and I have no idea why.

Stephen A. Camp
June 18, 2004, 03:45 PM
Hello. I don't own one, but have shot several Argentine FM's over the years. They worked fine and accuracy was good. In most instances the sights were well regulated out of the box. Trigger pulls varied just as they can on the FN Hi Powers.

Best.

Ash
June 18, 2004, 03:46 PM
He refers not to FN (Fabrique Nationale), but FM, (Fabrica Militar, I believe) in Argentina. (Also FMAP). They've made High Powers for years now.

Ash

clipse
June 18, 2004, 04:23 PM
Yeah I am talking about the FM hipowers not FN. I like the hipower design but don't really want to spend the money on a FN or Browning. The FM looked decent though and for a little more than $300 I can't argue too much.

clipse

Rittmeister
June 18, 2004, 04:29 PM
I purchased an FM as a replacement to a FEG P9M that I got rid of (close replica to the P35, but not truly a copy). I've been VERY pleased with the FM - no jams of any kind that weren't magazine-related. I put a nice set of used Uncle Mike's grips and a C&S safety on it, as well as a home-bobbed spur hammer. The only thing I'm unhappy about is the sights; they're small and difficult for my lousy eyesight to pick up, especially in a poorly-lit indoor range.

RatFink
June 18, 2004, 05:30 PM
clipse,

I have an FEG PJK-9HP (The true copy) I'm gonna sell so that I can afford a new FN HP if your interested, it's got the deep blue finish, very pretty pistol.

pauli
June 18, 2004, 05:39 PM
does the fm have that blasted mag disconnect?

Stephen A. Camp
June 18, 2004, 06:04 PM
Hello. Oh, yes. They do. At least the ones I shot. I don't know if all FM's do or not, but all I've ever seen have.

Best.

albanian
June 18, 2004, 06:28 PM
Yeah the Fms have the mag safety but it can be taken out with little problem. I take out all the mag safeties from any gun that has them. Hate them like I hate automatic seat belts or automaticaly locking car doors.:cuss: They just get in the way of you doing what you want to do. I am going to wear my seat belt but I don't like the thing being in control.

shep854
June 18, 2004, 07:13 PM
The FM is a licensed copy of the P-35, made with the full blessing (and royalites, I'm sure) of Fabrique National. Consider it a mil-spec pistol, and you've got it.

I used to have one myself, and sold it:banghead: . Of the Hi-Power tribe, it's the best value, IMHO. Yes, I plan to get another one. The feature I like is the spur hammer, which doesn't bite me.

Johnny Guest
June 18, 2004, 08:29 PM
I have two or three friends who own 'em - - They like the type pistol but didn't care to pay for the "Pride of ownership" in a Browning. They work fine and accept all the Browning holsters, mags, and accessories, SFAIK.

Good value for the money.

Best,
Johnny

Coronach
June 19, 2004, 02:27 AM
FM HP is to FN HP as Sistema is to 1911.

See? Gun nut word problems. ;)

Mike

clipse
June 24, 2004, 11:59 AM
So, would you guys trust one of these enough to carry it?

I realize that If I wanted a dedicated CCW piece then I should spend a little more a get something better. I want a hipower but don't want to spend a lot of money. I also don't really want a gun that I wouldn't feel comfortable carrying.

clipse

Coronach
June 24, 2004, 12:12 PM
We talking as-is, or after a thorough going-over by a 'smith?

I don't own a FM, but I do own a Sistema. If the FM is anything like the Sistema (and it logically should be, as it is essentially the same thing- a quality contract-manufactured copy of a proven design), OOB it will be a solid gun with some worn parts. Once the worn parts are addressed, it should be good to go.

I have not heard of FMs having any particular foibles or failings other than age.

Mike

Johnny Guest
June 24, 2004, 01:56 PM
Well, I don't like the idea of carrying ANY handgun I haven't personally test fired, but - - - -

Picturing a scenario in which I needed to temporarily draw a sidearm from an arms locker for some reason . . . . No revolvers or Glocks available. I'd look for the plainest possible 1911 (or Sistema 1927) or Browning High Power (or FM.) I'd want to field strip it, inspect the magazine and dry-cycle some ammo through it. I'd have pretty high confidence in carrying the FM with ball ammo.

Regards,
Johnny

Matt G
June 24, 2004, 08:53 PM
Stephen A. Camp (http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com) said:Hello. I don't own one, but have shot several Argentine FM's over the years. They worked fine and accuracy was good. In most instances the sights were well regulated out of the box.

And that, my friends, is what we call the definitive endorsement. :)

manwithoutahome
June 25, 2004, 02:46 PM
I have one, got it on sell for alittle under $250. Since I can't afford a FN and like the style I decided to get it. Great pistol. The finish is abit rough but I can live with that.

Mag disconnect can be easily (and I mean easily) removed, just get the HP takedown chart from Stephen Camp, it's a must have IMHO if you own any type of HP.

The FM is the exact same in parts and fit as the FN, just the N is replaced by a M :p . All parts so far have been interchangable that I've seen and read.

Wayne

Spieler
June 25, 2004, 10:02 PM
I've had my FM for more than six years now with a couple thousand rounds through it and it has not missed a beat. I shoot it more accurately than some of my other, more expensive and 'modern' big name brand semi-autos. It's not a pretty gun, and I'm not totally happy with the non-scalloped upper slide on my gun because it doesn't present the classic Hi-Power look, but the proff is in the pudding. A very good gun in my opinion.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=661727

If you enjoyed reading about "FM hipowers?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!