Today was a field day, a Springfield day!

PDA

Brass Balls
June 20, 2004, 05:40 PM
Today was one of those days to tuck safely away in the memories so that it can be relived from the rocking chair. I became the lucky new owner of two Springfield pistols that I have most coveted. Then I was able to shoot both pistols with the friend who sold them to me. Acquiring either of these pistols and shooting it for the first time would be unforgetable, however obtaining them both together was an awesome experience.

The pistols are both from the Springfield Custom shop. The first is arguably their finest target pistol the TGO I, the second their finest defense pistol the Professional Model.

Upon initial inspection I was quite impressed with the finish on the TGO. The Robar NP-3 proprietary nickel/Teflon finish is slick to the touch and complimented nicely by the Roguard proprietary black finish on the slide. The trigger on the TGO was a little lighter than I'm accustomed to, however not so light that it couldn't be taken advantage of with just a little trigger time.

I was able to run 150 rounds through each of them today. Both delivered perfect reliability and astonishing accuracy. When gripped in the hand they felt very similar, although the different weight triggers and sights made the experience of shooting them considerably different.

The TGO was first on the firing line. The way it was grouping told me straight away that this gun has tons of potential. Several twists of the screwdriver on the adjustable Bomars had the bullets taking out small targets from 7 yards to the maximum of 17 yards at the indoor range where we shot. The overhead lighting in the shooting stations was lacking, however the fibre optic dot was still quite easy to pick up and the squared top edge of the front sight made precision alignment a snap.

Although the Professional Model is designed as a combat handgun somebody forgot to tell the pistol this because it thinks it is a target gun. Although all of my shooting was done freehand this pistol has the uncanny ability to put bullets through the same holes created by the previously fired bullets it shared a magazine with. I was awed with its performance at 10 yards. Upon sending the target back to 17 yards and firing another volley it was difficult to discern which groups were shot from the closer range.

Eventually I'll have more to share about these pistols as we continue our budding relationship, but right now we've only just begun. What a begining though! :)

Many thanks to my friend Keith for making me a great deal on these pistols which made it possible to buy them both together. Thanks to the rest of you firearm enthusiasts for putting up with me gushing about my new pistols.

clic pic
http://www.springfield-armory.com/images/pistolscustomshop/TGO/Black/TGO1.jpg (http://www.springfield-armory.com/TGO.shtml)

clic pic
http://www.springfield-armory.com/images/pistols/a1/PC9111.jpg (http://www.springfield-armory.com/prod-pstl-1911-pro.shtml)

If you enjoyed reading about "Today was a field day, a Springfield day!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Marshall
June 20, 2004, 08:09 PM
BB,

Congrats! I would say 5K on two pistols is a nice fathers day!

Brass Balls
June 21, 2004, 12:08 AM
Thanks Marshall! :) Since they were both used, one had 400 rounds the other 2000, and I bought them from a friend they were far less than $5k. Still for guns like this that low of a round count is nothing. I can't wait to get back to the range and get better acquanted with them both.

sturmruger
June 21, 2004, 06:30 PM
I envy you, it sounds like you picked up two really nice pistols.

Brass Balls
June 23, 2004, 12:52 AM
Thanks sturmruger. I appreciate your kind remark.

I've been so busy the past few days that I haven't been able to get back to the range to shoot these beauties and it's killin' me. Hopefully tomorrow.

After I get some more trigger time I'll try to give a little more feedback about them. I find that around my area nobody wants to stock pistols like these which leaves the buyer with no choice but to make a giant leap of faith and buy them sight unseen.

Gun forums like THR are about the only place to learn about them before pulling the trigger on the purchase. Therefore I'll try to do my part to give some info for anybody else that may be considering one of these models from Springfield.

BamBam-31
June 23, 2004, 03:26 AM
Are they more accurate than your TRP Operator?

Brass Balls
June 23, 2004, 10:24 AM
From my initial impressions I would say yes they are both more accurate than the TRP Op. However I don't think they are more accurate than my Baer TRS. Further testing is required. Part of the issue is that I shoot so rarely from a rest that I'm not all that good at it. I do almost all of my shooting freehand which I am pretty good at, however this does introduce shooter error.

BamBam-31
June 23, 2004, 07:36 PM
AND a Baer TRS, eh? Man. Where's the green-with-envy smilie when I need it?

The reason I ask is, 2011BLDR over on 1911forums says the TRP Operator is built to the same accuracy standards as the Pro.

If you do ever shoot them off bags, side by side, give us a report, eh?

Brass Balls
June 25, 2004, 12:14 AM
My TRP Op is a really nice pistol. I have no intention of selling mine, but it's not built to the same standards as the Pro. I've read some of 2011's posts and I what he says is that he can build a TRP to be as good as a Pro for less money than a new Pro costs.

Personally I don't have that ability. The deal that I got on the Pro doesn't make it worth it to try to build a TRP Op to be as good as the Pro. Both are good guns to be sure, but owning them both I can see, feel and shoot the two of them and it is quite apparent that the Pro is a better gun. JM2C.

Brass Balls
June 25, 2004, 12:18 AM
If we're really after bang for the buck I think my TLE/RL represents a tremendous value. The TLE/RL was $800 and the TRP Op was almost $1200. I do think the TRP Op is a better pistol, but it isn't, imho, 50% better than the TLE/RL.

MaceWindu
June 25, 2004, 03:02 AM
...hmm...I am a bit skeptical of the pistols ability....in order to give an accurate and unbiased report please do the following:

-Pack up the TRP Op, Pro Model and TGO
-Pack up about 2000 rounds of ammo

And send them to ME right away!! Quick!!! Hurry!!! Don't wait!!! So that I can properly break them in for you!!:D :D :D

Very nice pistols.....My buddy just picked up his Pro Model last Monday....Very well made, TIGHT, smooth....

Congrats.

MaceWindu

MaceWindu
June 25, 2004, 03:02 AM
...hmm...I am a bit skeptical of the pistols ability....in order to give an accurate and unbiased report please do the following:

-Pack up the TRP Op, Pro Model and TGO
-Pack up about 2000 rounds of ammo

And send them to ME right away!! Quick!!! Hurry!!! Don't wait!!! So that I can properly break them in for you!!:D :D :D

Very nice pistols.....My buddy just picked up his Pro Model last Monday....Very well made, TIGHT, smooth....

Congrats.

MaceWindu

Brass Balls
June 25, 2004, 10:55 AM
Hey Mace are you sure that 2000 rounds is going to be enough. I don't want some half fast evaluation. :D

Brass Balls
July 4, 2004, 03:43 PM
http://www.hunt101.com/img/192150.jpg

MaceWindu
July 4, 2004, 09:20 PM
...I think I have pistol envy...:scrutiny:

MaceWindu....

Mace likes!! Mace likes!

BamBam-31
July 5, 2004, 01:45 PM
That would make a great Christmas card. :D

Brass Balls
July 22, 2004, 07:01 PM
Springfield TGO1

http://www.hunt101.com/img/203838.JPG

Brass Balls
July 22, 2004, 07:02 PM
TGO with Mammoth tooth ivory grips.

http://home.comcast.net/~capilla/TGO_Mammoth3.JPG

Brass Balls
May 9, 2005, 10:36 AM
http://home.comcast.net/~1911brass/Professional_SOG_sm.jpg

lyricsdad
May 9, 2005, 12:21 PM
Whoa Brass Balls, are those Mammoth grips like in "wooly". Wow

If you enjoyed reading about "Today was a field day, a Springfield day!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!