George Hill ... nice write-up

PDA

P95Carry
June 20, 2004, 10:03 PM
Just been reading your write-up on the Detonics Combat Master in latest CCW mag' .... nice one. Very readable and well written. Thank you.

I shot one of these way back ... in late 80's IIRC ..... always liked it but was fascinated by the strange barrel shape! Seemed to shoot quite well for such a compact gun.

If you enjoyed reading about "George Hill ... nice write-up" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
CZF
June 20, 2004, 10:22 PM
Where can we find this gun magazine?

Nice to see some comments about any article on here. Should you ever
write to a magazine in praise of a writer. They fail to publish the letter..
using STUPID questions like: "Should I shoot lead in my Glock??"

I once wrote a letter in response to Oleg Volks excellent review of the
75B Military. Now seems like a waste of my time and effort. I really
should have asked a Glock or 1911 question.

Sven
June 20, 2004, 10:46 PM
I bought a CZ75 after reading Oleg's review of the gun in SWAT... some prolific people on this forum!

George Hill
June 21, 2004, 10:30 AM
Thanks.
I just finished a review of a Makarov for CCM that I think you'll like even more.

Oh, and since that article I've had a little work done to that Detonics and it's a lot tighter than when I reviewed it. Tighter thanks to a new pin and link... made a world of difference.
I think I'm going to keep this little for a very long time.

P95Carry
June 21, 2004, 11:10 AM
CZF ....... Where can we find this gun magazine? You'd need to subscribe. I warn you, it is expensive but many of us feel, myself included, that such a valuable mag needs to survive and prosper ... these are its early days and I'd like it to keep going. It has a very special niche IMO... and I think Tim, the boss man, deserves support.

I think you'll find what you need just from web site ......

http://www.concealedcarrymag.com/

clipse
June 21, 2004, 11:24 AM
I got a bundle of cards in the mail. In them was a card for one free issue of CCM. I sent off for it. If I like it then I will deffinately pay for it. What really caught my eye was the lady on the cover was that same as alot of Olegs posters. I am excited about this magazine because I have been looking for a mag specifically dedicated to CCW.

clipse

Edited to add: I just looked at the website and now I am really excited. :D

George Hill
June 21, 2004, 11:48 AM
It's a danged good magazine. And I'm just saying that because they print my articles. It's solid. It's a for real Cover to Cover read.
John Silveira's piece called "We Don't Need No 'steenking' 2nd Amendment"
is worth the price of the subscription alone.
And the next issue's artice on the psychological preparedness... and a new column by Gabe Suarez... its all solid gold stuff.
Meat and Potatoes reading fodder here.

My stuff I'm writing for them... I'm trying to use a bit more humor to make the gun reviews not quiet so dry. But I have a "dry humor" so while I'm not the next Patrick McManus, at least I my reviews are fun to read. Or at least that is what I am told. My intent behind that is that CCW people are not always semi professional gunslingers so they don't need to be overly technical. And most gun reviews I have read lately have been nothing more than ammunition reviews and they are not talking about the gun. I'm sorry, but I can not read a Charles Petty review. I don't give a crap about how a gun shoots every single different defensive load out there from a ransom rest. I don't care. What a gun does in a machine rest is different from what it does in the hand.

Er... I'm rambling...

eyz
June 22, 2004, 12:27 PM
It's in Wisconsin. I could be wrong isn't Wisconsin one of the four states that doesn't have concealed carry. ARGGHHHH.... why can't a magazine ever come from an actual practiceing state.

HiWayMan
June 22, 2004, 02:43 PM
George Hill-

Can you make us all a promise. One single teeny tiny promise.

Please report it as it is. I suspect that you are not beholden to any manufacture and won't be swayed by advertising monies. If you give us the straight dope on a firearm, the good and the bad, then CCW Magazine has found a new loyal subscriber. Regardless of the cost.

HiWayMan

George Hill
June 22, 2004, 09:17 PM
Did you read my Detonics review? No, if there is something wrong with a gun I'll say it. I'm not beholden to anyone.

The thing is though, about the Makarovs, they are not many bad things to say about them. Its a dang good pistol for under 200 bucks, so you can expect some shortcomings with it. At least it's not like a cinderblock on the top of a broomstick like a Hi-Point. But getting past the trigger, sights, and heel clip... it's a damn fine handgun for anyone.

Come to think of it, I had a couple complaints about the Cougar in that article too. And I didn't write about how they put a factory rep on the next flight with a replacement part to hand fit in the ringer gun they sent.

A spade will be a spade.

halvey
July 2, 2004, 10:30 AM
The thing is though, about the Makarovs, they are not many bad things to say about them. Its a dang good pistol for under 200 bucks, For $200 sure. But anything over that is debateable.

Let me write an article on a Mak.:D I have all kinds of bad things to say about them.

DDGator
July 2, 2004, 04:39 PM
Hey George,

I didnt make the connection with you and the forum. I wrote "A Guide to Pocket Carry" in the March/April issue of CCM, and I have a review of the CZ RAMI coming up in the next issue.

I agree that it is a great magazine that offers a lot of stuff that is not available elsewhere.

George Hill
July 2, 2004, 05:41 PM
I've got the Mak article done for the next issue and after that will be either a P3AT or a Baby Eagle Compact.

JohnKSa
July 2, 2004, 11:38 PM
It's a pretty decent magazine. I've gotten 2 or 3 issues so far and they've been good.

Dings

It's a bit expensive. Offsetting factor is that it's not the typical gunrag BS. I think it's worth the money (obviously).

Some of the posed photos come off a bit comedic. I don't think they were meant to. The funniest one in the last issue is "Dr. Cigar" sitting on his John Deere in his garage/shed with his C&L 1911 in open carry on his hip. Accompanying article is good though.

The best article was by John Silveira on the 2nd Amendment. Stuff I'd read before but presented a bit differently. Good read.

George's writeup was probably a close second. It was interesting enough that I read it all even though I have absolutely zero interest in owning a Detonics.

I keep getting subscription bills. I'm going to have to figure out why they don't have/didn't get my payment...

If you enjoyed reading about "George Hill ... nice write-up" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!