Just One Gun?

PDA

Butch
December 28, 2002, 09:59 PM
Ok here's the deal , The SHTF is gonna happen tonight . You have family & loved ones that you have to get out & you may have to survive the the boonies for up to a year. You have to get out fast ,with food water supplies and all other gear in very limited vehicle space. You decide that there is only room for one gun and the ammo to feed it for a year . WHICH ONE IS IT. & NO CHEATING your loved ones are depending on you & that one gun.

My answer is a model 52 winchester sporter & 3 cases of ammo for it. 22 ammo can be easily found & the 52 is nearly indestructible not to mention quiet & accurate.:D

If you enjoyed reading about "Just One Gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ezoeni
December 28, 2002, 10:09 PM
http://www.thearmedcitizen.com/gunpages/mosslike.gif

With a standard stock as well, and tools and ammo. But I really dont think Id leave home with just one :rolleyes:

enfwago
December 28, 2002, 10:24 PM
I am going to say an AR-15.

CAP
December 28, 2002, 10:30 PM
Well, if I have a vehicle there is definitely room for more than 1 gun no matter what. But given your scope, I'd grab my 92fs and the many hi-caps I have ready in a packed ammo can.

Soap
December 28, 2002, 10:34 PM
M4 with Aimpoint, Surefire, 30 30 round "clips", bayonet, laser sight, IR designator, "When SHTF: A Tactical Study" manual by Roscoe P. Mallninja ;)

Really all I want is grey matter. Firearms are secondary. But for a survival type scenario I would take...aww...well...I don't know and I probably wouldn't know until faced with the situation. Probably a 700P, Kimber .22, or an AR.

eotp
December 28, 2002, 10:38 PM
Springfield SAR-4800.

Great for defense and adequate for hunting.

How would you know how much ammo that you would need for one year in the boonies?

Wakal
December 28, 2002, 10:41 PM
Since I have...ummm...(counts boxes)...5,000 rounds of .223 on had right this very minute, I'd drag out my wee M4 with the NSN01 scope. From running it in ISPC, as well as varmit hunting, I know it can engage close targets as well as reach out and touch longer range targets with equal skill. Light, compact, easy to carry, easy to shoot fast and accurately.

Although if I had more than 1,500 rounds of .308 on hand, the M14 would be nice as a backup...I know, cheating.

Alex

Redlg155
December 28, 2002, 10:45 PM
870 pump shotgun with and assortment of shells ranging from #8 to Slugs.

Ducks and quail are pretty hard to hit with an AR15.

Good Shooting
RED

MAKOwner
December 28, 2002, 11:04 PM
One of my AKs with several cases of ammo. I can't think of anything (from fighting radiation zombies, to killing space aliens, to fighting off the evil UN invaders, to killing Bambi's mom) that a decent AK couldn't handle well enough... Plus it would have the best chance of never breaking or wearing out or never malfunctioning at a bad time, etc.

I'm must torn on whether I want to carry the 7.62 or 5.45 AK? I like the 5.45 better but still...

Politically Incorrect
December 28, 2002, 11:10 PM
Flip coin: Heads AK, Tails M1A. If it lands on its side, the M1 Garand.

Heads wins.

Calamity Jane
December 28, 2002, 11:10 PM
AR-15, .223 of course, along with .22 conversion.

Or would that be cheating? :p ;)

armabill
December 28, 2002, 11:53 PM
Marlin .22 LR rifle with ammo. Good for short and long ranges and not too loud.

Schuey2002
December 29, 2002, 12:16 AM
Ok, I'll grap a H&K G3KA4 with a Aimpoint Red Dot scope,extra mags and as much ammo as I can carry.

If this was a real situation, I'd take my HK93. Plus, I'd take out a few of the .223 rounds in my ammo can and tuck one of my G19's (plus a few mags) in there. ;)

Preacherman
December 29, 2002, 12:22 AM
I'm with Redlg155 - Remington 870 with a good assortment of ammunition. Don't forget that it wasn't the Winchester lever-action or Colt Peacemaker that was "the gun that won the West" - it was the shotgun! Widely distributed, able to hunt land animals or birds, very good indeed for close-range defence with buckshot, able to reach out to 100 yards or more with slugs... all around, I can't think of a better gun to cover the multitude of circumstances I might have to face. (Of course, I'd probably cheat and have a Glock 22 or 29 on my hip as well!!! :D )

Blackhawk
December 29, 2002, 12:24 AM
AR-15

Mark Benningfield
December 29, 2002, 12:29 AM
Hello All.

Well, since I am already in the boonies, I would stay put and let 'em come to me. I would fire up the generator and set the watches, and figure anyone approaching under stealth to be a valid target. Besides, I could never choose just one gun, the others would get their feelings hurt.:D

PATH
December 29, 2002, 12:47 AM
Ak! It goes bang when you pull the trigger. You can't kill it as it was a peasants wapon. Easy to service and clean. POur a handful of dirt in the reciever and see if it does not fire. Dependability is a big asset if you must choose only one gun!

cheygriz
December 29, 2002, 01:07 AM
AR-15. No question.

If unavailable, then AK-47

chaim
December 29, 2002, 02:05 AM
Well, I'm one of those who feels the need to cheat on this one. Why?:

I could see only one long gun, but a handgun can fit in a holster on your person without any extra space (and an additional one, Bersa size or smaller, could fit in your pocket). As far as ammo, well I don't see the difference if you planned to take, say 3000 rounds of 5.56, to cut it in half and use 9mm, .45acp or whatever in the vacated space (thus no more room needed for ammo than with one). What you do get is more versatility, one long gun and one (or two) handgun(s).

In this case I'd take a long gun (probably a 12ga, but see below), and one of my .357mags (not sure between my S&W 65LS and my 6" S&W 586) or my CZ 75 (9mm) or my 1911 in a holster and my Bersa in my pocket.

What long-gun (if cheating) or gun in general (if not) would depend upon a couple factors:
-what is the main concern? Fending off bandits/looters, fending off invading troops, or feeding yourself.
-is the question what is your ideal gun for the situation (assume you have it and ammo for it) or based on what you have on hand?

If bandits/looters I'd want either a handgun (the CZ, 1911 or .357s- it would be hard to choose between them so it would probably be whichever my hand came to first) and a shot gun in an ideal gun question. If only one I guess the shotty makes a little more sense (high powered) if you will be hiding out in the middle of nowhere, if you will be spending time in populated areas a handgun would be better. If this scenario is based on what is on hand I'd have to go with my 9mm (CZ) as I have far more ammo for it than any of the others (my SKS has a decent ammo stash, but it wouldn't be my choice for this situation) and I don't currently have a shotgun.

If fending off invaders I'd want the 9mm CZ (as more armies use 9mm than anything else so there would be more chance of resupply) if I could also have a rifle. If we are again going to be strickly holding to one (or for the rifle to go w/ the 9mm) I'd want a bolt rifle in a decent caliber (.308, .270, 30-06 or similar) and a good scope. Against trained troops few, if any, of us would stand a chance alone (or with one or two buddies) in a firefight (remember they have numbers, training, communication, and the ability to call in airstrikes and artillery). My goal is to live. I'd want to be able to engage at longer distances and get away. As I don't currently have one and if we are limited to what we currently have I'd go with a .22 (my Marlin 60, Ruger 10/22 or my bolt action Rem 581 would all be ok) and engage at shorter ranges and count on the limited report and flash of a .22lr making it tough for them to locate me.

If feeding is the main concern I'd be less worried as I would use my fishing gear for that and the gun would be mainly for SD situations (as they are now). If only one SD gun in a non-carry situation I'd prefer a shotgun, in a carry situation I like my revolvers, CZ and 1911 but I'd probably go w/ the 65LS (or for space and ammo space reasons I may go with the Bersa). For a hunter (which I'm not) a shotgun or .357mag (esp. the 6") make sense as either can have its ammo adjusted for anything from bear down to squirel (the shotgun may be even better, if you have one, since one can also go for birds).

piccolo
December 29, 2002, 02:15 AM
Originally posted by Redlg155

Good Shooting
RED

Thief! You stole the words right out of my mouth! [:)]

Mike
December 29, 2002, 02:18 AM
Aaaaaaaaaarrrrrgggghhh! :rolleyes:

telewinz
December 29, 2002, 11:13 AM
AK Sporter version in 7.62X39, Hunter Rifle. Longer barrel and butt stock, take Hi-cap clips and is just more comfortable to shoot.

pahrumpcaveman
December 29, 2002, 11:14 AM
AR-15

Butch
December 29, 2002, 11:19 AM
Strange I thought I would get more 22 lr answers. Oh well to each his own.:D

Tamara
December 29, 2002, 11:43 AM
This is one of those "If there was no oxygen, what would you breathe instead?" kind of questions.

I can't wrap my head around any plausible scenario where I can't pack out a long gun and a handgun.

Probably my 870... or my 627... or my AK...

ruger357
December 29, 2002, 11:53 AM
870 pump.

cobb
December 29, 2002, 11:58 AM
12 gauge Mossberg 500 pump shotgun, with slugs, buckshot, and #6's.

KRAUTGUNNER
December 29, 2002, 12:00 PM
STEYR SCOUT RIFLE .308Win!

sm
December 29, 2002, 12:59 PM
Shotgun

s&w 24
December 29, 2002, 03:13 PM
my grand dad's sporter 98 mauser(8mm) because if I never make it back to the ranch this is the one gun that could never be replaced.

faustulus
December 29, 2002, 04:26 PM
Mossberg 590

NEon
December 29, 2002, 05:45 PM
I've got to go with some of the above. Remington 870 with 30inch barrel, 20inch barrel with sites, blackpowder, barrel. Would fill a lot of needs!

cratz2
December 29, 2002, 06:05 PM
A single gun for a SHTF scenario would be either 590A1 or 870. Or the 700PSS in 223.

Single gun PERIOD for the rest of my life would be 1911A1.

GD
December 29, 2002, 06:06 PM
If TSHTF and I could only grab one weapon, it would be a very simple weapon that had few parts, was very sturdy, and easy to clean. If survival was very tough with many targets, then a simple semiautomatic like the sks would be appropriate. If things were long term and tough I would opt for a bolt action like the mauser or a mosin nagant (M44 perhaps). I would not want a commercial modern weapon which do not seem robust to me or a semiautomatic which required parts frequently or was difficult to clean. After about two weeks in the elements, an unclean AR 15 would not be an ideal weapon.
To those who believe that a mauser or a mosin would not be a good survival weapon because of the calibre - I don't think you are going to be buying any kind of ammo during a SHTF scenario. In a SHTF scenario it would be better to avoid confrontation anyway. If you are sending lots of bullets downrange, you are in deep trouble anyway.
I bet there are more bullets in Russian and German calibres in my county than American bullets. The hunters in my county buy boxes of American ammo, the collectors of military surplus buy cases of ammo.

Gila Jorge
December 29, 2002, 06:07 PM
Browning 12ga Auto (of course my always gun is always with me...CZ75 in 40S&W). Like Tamara I can't imagine a scenario where I would NOT have at least two guns. The volitional gun would be the Browning 2000 Auto.

GD
December 29, 2002, 06:12 PM
Another point. Where I live, rural Kansas, a shotgun would not be an appropriate SHTF weapon. At best a shotgun would be an under 75 yard weapon. Out here where encounters could take place at ranges greater than 100 yards, a shotgun would not do. I can't imagine defending my homestead with a shotgun when someone behind a tree or other cover was placing .30 calibre rounds into my home from over 100 yards away.
In the cities a shotgun would be great weapon.

ruger357
December 29, 2002, 06:19 PM
I agree with Tamara, hafta have my 1911 with my 870.:D

WonderNine
December 29, 2002, 06:40 PM
Why a Hi-Point .380 of course!

AnklePocket
December 29, 2002, 07:21 PM
DSA Carbine/Iron Sights

thumbtack
December 29, 2002, 07:27 PM
I would take my AR15 and use it to get more firepower.

Gordon
December 29, 2002, 07:52 PM
I than G-d at least thats one choice I'll NEVER have to make. Got all the bases covered laddie- including helpers.:D :D :D

Mike Irwin
December 29, 2002, 09:14 PM
12-gauge shotgun.

tlhelmer
December 30, 2002, 09:16 AM
Glock 35 with 15 round magazines.

CTgunteacher
December 30, 2002, 10:43 AM
I don't have a survival hideaway in the mountains, so I guess I'd have to pack a tent and my backpack, and plan to escape and evade until I found allies or a good place to settle.

A 12 gauge shotgun would be tempting, since it is indeed a good all-purpose gun. Small game, deer, defense, etc. Carrying lots of shotgun ammo is something of a problem if you have to abandon your vehicle and take to the hills on foot, though. Being "on the run" and therefore lacking a smokehouse or refrigeration facilities, killing a deer would seem a waste, anyway. It takes a heck of a lot more time and energy to find, kill, and butcher a deer than a couple of squirrels, rabbits, wandering dogs and cats, etc. Hunting these little guys enables me to eat and run.

So I think I'd actually take my scoped Marlin .22 and oodles of its easy-to-pack ammo. I can take all manner of small animals with it. It is very light and easy to carry while I'm using my "ninja-like" bushcraft skills to avoid whatever calamity has forced me into the woods. It has a fifteen round capacity, and is easily capable of ocular-cavity shots on human targets at 75 yards. At closer range, I can hose unarmored bad guys with 3-4 shots each, which will probably discourage them. The muted report of the .22 doesn't carry far, and will enhance my hiding abilities, too.

Would I choose this little gun to fend off the Mongol hordes or the blue-helmeted oppressors? Of course not, but having seen light infantry squads in action, I wouldn't try that with an AR or an AK either. In the immortal words of Monty Python, "Run away!" (If they really want you, they'll run you down with a chopper. Nothing short of a deep cave -- and certainly not a puny little .223 -- will save you from the hell an attack helicopter can unleash.)

I'm also with Tamara on the handgun question. My .45 auto is holstered on my person when I am awake, so it would naturally accompany me as a short-range defense gun.

Mike

Viking6
December 30, 2002, 10:54 AM
AR-15

Erik
December 30, 2002, 11:53 AM
Rem 870, 12 gauge.

JMLV
December 30, 2002, 12:11 PM
I can easily add a couple of handguns without taking up more space if they are on my person. I would grab my 357 marlin lever gun and my Dan Wesson revolver/pistol pac. the lever gun will take any large game in the area with the proper bullets as well as be a viable defence round in either rifle of revolver. My smith 422 and a brick of ammo would go along as well and a NAA mini gun I am rarely without.
I drive a conversion van a d could consiveablew take all od my current ammo suppily and abourt half of my firearms with me and still have room for the family. I could easily take a long gun and handgun for each adult family menber(and I could suppily them too if need be:D )

Betty
December 30, 2002, 12:27 PM
Since I've got at least two guns on me right now (not including my "pick-a-gun"), I'm going to have to "cheat" on my answer. Since Oleg and I live together and he's also on these forums, he gets to answer the same topic, so that means he gets to pick a gun, so we're going to have at least two, plus the two already on me and there's at least one or two that Oleg always carries. So that's about six. :p

I'd pick my AR-15 because Oleg has one also (plus a spare), and it's convenient to have the same rifle that shares the same ammo, magazines, and parts.

GhostShooter
December 30, 2002, 12:35 PM
Depends on the SHTF scenario. If we're talking pure survival I pick a .22 lr rifle. If I have to fight an army then probably an AK. My question is why are we leaving our houses?http://www.stopstart.freeserve.co.uk/smilie/moreek.gif Just a thought.

http://www.stopstart.freeserve.co.uk/smilie/2M16.gif

sm
December 30, 2002, 12:37 PM
...ejumacate me, whats a "pick me gun"? A "desk gun" perhaps?

I was waiting on you to answer this thread--ask Runt "just one" and figured you'd get out the door with a dozen...just knew it...figure you got at least one gun on the tarantula:p

Betty
December 30, 2002, 12:41 PM
The "pick-a-gun" is the "just 'one' gun" the original post asked for.

I decided to use my math instead. :p

TallPine
December 30, 2002, 12:43 PM
Yeah, I've got to shoot down the "one gun" limit right off the bat.

Why would I take off my carry gun because I was leaving the house and might not ever be coming back?

Actually, I have thought this out a long time before I ever read any of these "what if?" threads.

The answer always comes out the same: a medium caliber revolver (can anyone one say "357" ?) for short range last-ditch defense, and a 22 bolt action with as many bricks of shells as I/we can possibly carry.

But in reality, we would probably be heading to the hills in the Suburban and possibly dragging a little camper trailer. The "hills" in my case are about 40 miles away and we can get there without going out on any main highways. So we would have all the guns and ammo we had time to throw into the vehicles in 5 minutes, plus what is already stashed there.

TallPine
December 30, 2002, 12:51 PM
My question is why are we leaving our houses?

No water, no power, no food in grocery stores, JBTs marching up and down the street confiscating guns, forced innoculations, <insert non-PC word here> rioting in the streets. approaching asteroid or comet (hey, you get a better view out there away from the city lights!) ...

You take your pick - any or all of the above.

None of the above ...? Heck, just go rent a disaster video and make some popcorn.

GhostShooter
December 30, 2002, 01:09 PM
Ok....Not to Hi-Jack this thread :p but. No water, no power, no food in grocery stores, JBTs marching up and down the street confiscating guns, forced innoculations, <insert non-PC word here> rioting in the streets. approaching asteroid or comet (hey, you get a better view out there away from the city lights!) ... First regardless of lack of water, power, or grocery stores you still stand a much better chance of survival in your home. Second, if the JBTs are marching on you, do you think you have a better chance out in the woods where they have a supply chain to hunt you down but you are just trying to establish one between you and your fellow freedom fighters (you don't think you're going to fight the JBTs alone do you?) You'll be doing hit and run attacks while returning home after a certain period of time most likely (you will have hidden your guns.) Third, as for rioting, turn your home (or neighborhood if possible) into a bunker...period... Finally, I guess you got the Asteroid but, most likely unless you live on the coast and it hits the ocean running isn't going to help you much anyway. Ah well it's fun to fantasize though isn't it.:D

P.S.
If I missed anything maybe I need to watch more disaster movies ;)

http://www.stopstart.freeserve.co.uk/smilie/2M16.gif

TallPine
December 30, 2002, 02:12 PM
First regardless of lack of water, power, or grocery stores you still stand a much better chance of survival in your home.
Really? Out there I have water (I know where the springs are), wood for heat and cooking, and game to eat as long as it lasts.

Second, if the JBTs are marching on you, do you think you have a better chance out in the woods where they have a supply chain to hunt you down but you are just trying to establish one between you and your fellow freedom fighters (you don't think you're going to fight the JBTs alone do you?) You'll be doing hit and run attacks while returning home after a certain period of time most likely (you will have hidden your guns.)
Good question - I hope we don't have to find out the answer! I would just feel more comfortable out there. It's got to be a lot harder to find people hiding who knows where in the woods than at 101, 102, 103, 104 ... Maple Street. The only chance of "winning" such a "war" is to make it not worth the effort for the other side.

Third, as for rioting, turn your home (or neighborhood if possible) into a bunker...period...
Depends on who is rioting and why - just a short term unrest among the natives or an attempt to take over part of our country (check out "Aztlan" movement in the southwest)

Finally, I guess you got the Asteroid but, most likely unless you live on the coast and it hits the ocean running isn't going to help you much anyway.
Might as well enjoy mother nature while it lasts ... :)

BTW, Ghost - not arguing with you, just comparing viewpoints.

JeFF D
December 30, 2002, 02:17 PM
Either Mosin Nagant M44 or Mossberg 500

cuchulainn
December 30, 2002, 02:57 PM

Good Shooting
RED

Ditto on the shotgun.

Remember folks, you need something that can take down small game without vaporizing it on one day and protect you against a 250 lb attacker the next. Yeah, you could stop that 250 lb attacker with your granddad's Remington .22 bolt action, but it would be easier with a shotgun, even one loaded for small game.

You probably aren't going to be able to invest the time to get larger game, not to mention the preparation time involved; a squirrel can go from tree limb to roasting on a skewer in 5 minutes, and they're easy to hunt. You'll have to take what you can when the opportunity presents itself.

I can't think of any rifle or handgun with the versatility of a shotgun. And 12-guage shells are as common as .22 rounds -- not that any ammo would be easy to come by regardless of how common they are now.

Betty
December 30, 2002, 03:04 PM
Well, if you can't make up your minds whether to have a rifle or shotgun, use a drilling ! :D

sm
December 30, 2002, 03:14 PM
ROTFLMAO :D

JMLV
December 30, 2002, 04:30 PM
either a savage model 24 or one of the new EAA IHZ over under rifle/shotgun combo's :D

Double Maduro
December 30, 2002, 05:23 PM
What Redlg155 said. 870 pump with at least 2 barrels, you didn't say anything about how many barrels we could bring.

triggertime
December 30, 2002, 05:40 PM
A bolt-action .308 based on a short action with iron sights and a sling.

Pointman
December 31, 2002, 01:06 AM
The FAL for sure.

Of course everyone should already have their retreat planned and stocked before this occurs. :D

556A2
December 31, 2002, 01:14 AM
My Mosin M44 since I love it to death and since I own it, but a Springfield M1A would be nice though.

TERRY8m
December 31, 2002, 03:05 AM
If buggin' out, .22 pump and several thousand rounds of ammo. standard velocity, high velocity and CB caps. Under those conditions the silenced .22 is a very handy little tool.
You can kill anything you need to eat and a silenced .22 would be very handy to pick off bg's in the bush.

Bob A
December 31, 2002, 05:10 AM
Pistol? not good for hunting really, but if it's all you have...

Rifle? cumbersome for personal defense and using high powered ones to hunt small game and foul is like using a sledgehammer to kill mosquitos. But it will kill bears... which I understand frequent the boonies, so make mine .30-06, OK?

Shotgun? I don't hunt, will this take bear? If so make mine .12 guage, with bird shot, 00, and slug.

Hard to choose only one for this.

Ala Dan
December 31, 2002, 06:12 AM
Remington 12 gague 870 Marine Magnum

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

NewShooter78
December 31, 2002, 06:50 AM
My Mossberg 590 with a lot of 00 shells, and rifled slugs.:cool:

December 31, 2002, 08:59 AM
If there is no "cheating" then I will have to say my 16" AR15. But if I had to actually use the rifle to somehow, survive. Then I very well might make it my .30-06 with my handloads inculding the pipsqueak loads that hardly make any noise, up to loads easily capable of taking deer and elk. Or then again, I might like to take my Super Blackhawk in .44 Mag. It wouldn't be as effective on big game as the '06 and wouldn't have the range of either the '06 or the AR, but it is perfectly aduequate for big game and is a lot easier to carry than a rifle. Besides, if conditions were just like they are when I am hunting, just shooting a big game animal is easy. Having it be in season, having a tag to legally hunt that animal, and trying to get a trophy animal are what makes it difficult.

AmericanFreeBird
December 31, 2002, 09:34 AM
One gun, perish the thought!

I'd have to say my Winchester 1300 20ga, case of slugs two cases of #2, 2 cases of #7, and 5 cases of #5 shot. Hmm, better make it 2 cases of #5, gotta fit the kids in somewhere! :D

tobeat1
December 31, 2002, 11:33 AM
Mossberg 590a1. Dead simple to operate, very versatile.

(and I own one!)

If you enjoyed reading about "Just One Gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!