Price Check for Ammo Boxes

PDA

mondocomputerman
June 21, 2004, 12:32 AM
I can get some used ammo boxes (originally from gov surplus) at $.75 for the small ones and $2.25 for the large ones. Is this a good deal?

If you enjoyed reading about "Price Check for Ammo Boxes" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
larry_minn
June 21, 2004, 12:43 AM
Have to ASSUME a lot here. Are these metal boxes with handle and a gasket/over center latch? @ 3" wide by 8" high by 12" long? (wild guess on measurements...) IIRC labeled 7.62 ammo 200rd carts If so under a dollar great price if in good shape. LARGE ones @ 8" wide by 16" high by 18" long. Again wild guess on size. Again under $3 good price. Or fiber cases (large) that I do have within reach. 30 rds of 25mm M910 Looks about 6" w by 14" l by 16 high. also under $3 in good shape good.

BluesBear
June 21, 2004, 04:50 AM
It all depends on their condition. Locally I pay $2.50 for .30 cal and $4.00 for .50 cal in very good condition.

I have seen them for sale that have been repainted and/or splotched and dented and rusted and...

The value will depend on their condition.

mondocomputerman
June 21, 2004, 12:10 PM
These are for the metal ones with the gaskets. They are both the .30 cal and .50 cal boxes. There are quite a few to pick from, so I should be able to get ones that are not all rusty and banged up.

Third_Rail
June 21, 2004, 12:17 PM
I have to order those from Midway, Cheaperthandirt, and Natchez SS, I can't find ANYONE who sells them locally. Stupid MA stores... :cuss:

mondocomputerman
June 23, 2004, 09:46 PM
One of the smaller ammo boxes from Government Surplus had two 7.62 ammo pouches!! I guess they didn't check them all that well. Has anybody else found anything interesting in ammo boxes? I also learned, for transportation, that a small ammo box (7.62) can fit in a large ammo box (.50 cal) if you take the lid off and put the lid in sideways.

If you enjoyed reading about "Price Check for Ammo Boxes" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!