PMC Starfires, my review.

PDA

sevenpoint62mm
June 21, 2004, 03:29 AM
Went to the range this weekend with some friends to try the Starfire out as a possible carry load. Heres what we tested:

Ruger P97 .45 w/factory mags w/new springs

a Springfield XD .40 w/factory mags w/new springs

Both fired 200 rounds each of Remington UMC fire with no miss feeds.

When we moved to the Starfires things went bad fast:

Ruger, 4 misfeeds out of 50 rounds.

Springfield, 3 misfeeds and one FOE out of 50 rounds.

In both guns the round was hooked on the ramp and chewed up too bad to fire.

So far I'm not impressed. :uhoh:

If you enjoyed reading about "PMC Starfires, my review." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
denfoote
June 21, 2004, 04:22 AM
The 9mm kurz version works in my P3AT.
I have not tried it in anything else!!
The Starfire is one of only two 95gr .380 loadings that I could find!! My little Kel-Tec prefers the heavier bullets!!

stans
June 21, 2004, 07:12 AM
Geewhizbang hollowpoints are great, right up to the point they jam. Sounds like this ammo is not for your Ruger or Springfield.

Pumpkinheaver
June 21, 2004, 11:53 AM
I've never had starfire ammo jam in anything I've tried them in. I carry the 124gr load in my 9mm.

wally
June 21, 2004, 01:29 PM
Not all guns work with all ammo and vice-versa. Don't extrapolate too widely.

This means test whatever JHP you carry in whatever gun you carry it in.

--wally.

sevenpoint62mm
June 21, 2004, 09:13 PM
Let me clarify, the PMCs aren't junk they just didn't test well in my two tests. Hydrashocks work like a champ though in my ruger though.

Plinkerton
June 22, 2004, 03:01 AM
Too bad about the Starfires. I love the PMC standard stuff.

I was told by the gun store owner that American Ammo was good too, and that he had put thousands of rounds of it thru his guns. I had heard it was junk, but wanted to try it anyway, just to see. I used one box of .38 specials, and they are dirty, squibby, crappy little bullets. I'm not buying anymore! :scrutiny:

BluesBear
June 22, 2004, 06:55 AM
I've never had any problem with El Dorado Starfire .45acp. I have tried it in my last four guns and all was well.

Now as for A-Merc... Plinkerton, your dealer needs a good pimpslapping.

Paul sr5
May 15, 2012, 04:30 PM
I am new to this forum I have had a 380 star fire about 3 years that was given to me before he passed away and a m1 carbine 1944 vintage.that I bought from him .plus many other toys. Can anyone help me learn how to clean the starfire it is a DK model .first time I fired it with no problems however we match shoot 22/45 rugers.and clean them after each usage ,any help would be nice.Paul sr5 thanks

foghornl
May 15, 2012, 09:24 PM
Plinkerton, your dealer needs a good pimpslapping

I was thinking more like a major whompin' upside the head with a wet squirrel.

American Ammo (Miami, Fl) is the worst ammo I have ever tried. Even my Ruger KP-90 choked on it.

American Eagle, made by Federal, IS good stuff.

wildehond
May 16, 2012, 08:04 AM
I use PMC starfires in my GLock 22 and it seems good. No issues so far.

NG VI
May 16, 2012, 11:13 AM
It's the previous design by Tom Burcynski (sp?), the designer of Federal's HST. HST works better and will be current production probably for a very long time.

Probably cheaper and easier to find too. Starfire would work well for a defense bullet too though, as long as it's the better stuff, and the gun liked it. FWIW I've never had any of about eight pistols choke on HST, after probably four or five hundred rounds total. A couple of guns saw most of them, some just had a magazine or two through them.

Dr.Rob
May 16, 2012, 01:19 PM
I still have a box or two of 9mm Starfires. Almost feed like an FMJ.

No complaints with them.

Erik M
May 17, 2012, 01:37 AM
I thought Starfire ammo was older generation ammo, like the first Hydrashok rounds. I'd still use them if I found a good deal, PMC is ok in my book.

If you enjoyed reading about "PMC Starfires, my review." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!