Give me .22 choices

PDA

zpo
June 21, 2004, 03:40 AM
Thin and light weight. I have a Ruger MkII and love it, but for fishing and walking around would like to lighten the weight. Close range accuracy is needed, longer would be nice, but can sacrifice for size and weight. Cheap mags would be nice too. I don't want blowback actions, got Pheonix hpa .22's, and there loud, ears can't take it. So I guess 6 to 8 inch bbl would be needed also. Thanks for any suggestions.

If you enjoyed reading about "Give me .22 choices" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MaterDei
June 21, 2004, 03:48 AM
Does Ruger make a scandium MkII? :)

sm
June 21, 2004, 03:48 AM
Beretta model 21 ( Bearcat).

OLD Smith J frames

Hal
June 21, 2004, 07:59 AM
Buckmarks are nice and slim.

Okiecruffler
June 21, 2004, 10:23 AM
I've never owned one, but aren't the Neos pretty light?

andrew17
June 21, 2004, 11:49 AM
How about a 2245? or the new Mk111? I'm guessin in the 4in bbl it would be lighter than the mk11.

Ohh speaking of 22's, for fathers day, I took mine shooting (Yeah, like we needed a reason :p ) and he brought his new single six hunter model.
Talk about sweet, the reintroduction of the v-notch with brass bead sight was a dream compared to todays big 'ole wide combat type sights.

I would go into detail about the shooting but I wont in fear of being called a liar:D but trust me, them v-notch style sights is ACCURATE and Very shooter friendly.:D

pauli
June 21, 2004, 12:01 PM
so, you want a .22 that's lighter than a mark 2, not blowback, and with at least a 6" barrel. o_O

perhaps a carbine on a sling is in order? weight, while obviously higher than that of a handgun, should be less noticable on your back than on your hip.

41mag
June 21, 2004, 12:22 PM
Hows about a Ruger Bearcat?The barrel length is only four inches but the weight is 24oz.Compared to the shortest MKII on Rugers websight @ 35oz.
No magazines to lose either.

halvey
June 21, 2004, 12:36 PM
Buckmarks are pretty heavy aren't they? I think mine is 39 oz.

mainmech48
June 21, 2004, 02:07 PM
Frankly, every semi-auto .22 that you're going to run into is going to be "blow-back" operated, just as your Ruger Mk.II is.

If you like the Ruger, but have the "bull" barrel version and don't like the weight, trade it for a "Standard" model. Available with either a 4 3/4 or 6" bbl. If you don't like the fixed sights, aftermarket drop-ins are inexpensive and plentiful.

Lots of other options but most of them will fall into the same 22-to-36 oz weight range given comparable bbl length. Go handle a few and take your choice.

Noise is more of a function of bbl length than action type. Generally, the shorter the bll, the louder it will seem. The same is true to a somewhat lesser extent with rimfire revolvers.

FWIW, the lightest high quality .22 of the non-"vest pocket" variety that I know of is the S&W 317. It'd be fairly loud, but real hard to beat for lightness at about 12.5 oz.

mattd
June 21, 2004, 02:14 PM
why don't you like blowbacks?

wally
June 21, 2004, 02:29 PM
Yup, if you don't like blowback .22 handguns your only choice is a revolver.

Even the .22LR cnversion kits for 1911 style guns are blow back.

--wally.

zpo
June 21, 2004, 06:14 PM
At the range, load doesn't matter, I wear ear plugs. But for walking around the woods, I don't want to have to wear plugs. Actually, the carbine comment makes sense to me. I ususally have alot of stuff on my belt where I put my holster, and thats part of the problem with weight. Getting a light weight rifle might be a good solution, if a bit unweildy at times. I'll have to think about that.

dhoomonyou
June 21, 2004, 06:31 PM
try a S&W 317 kit gun, 8 shot, 22lr, 3 inch barrel.
I love mine. weighs about 15 ounces.

JimJD
June 21, 2004, 09:10 PM
but aren't the Neos pretty light?

I just picked up a blued, six inch model late last week. It weighs in at 35.8 oz.
The 4.5 inch model is 31.7 oz.

BlackJack
June 21, 2004, 09:18 PM
Here's a choice. Quit whining about weight and keep carrying the Ruger since it's perfect in every other way. Suck it up and drive on.

minnesota oldie
June 22, 2004, 12:36 AM
SIG Trailside. Light weight and VERY accurate.

zpo
June 22, 2004, 06:09 AM
Gee, sorry Blackjack, didn't mean to whine. Guess I should just submit to your opinion that the Ruger is perfect and not get another gun better fitted to my needs. God forbid.

zpo
June 22, 2004, 06:14 AM
Hmm. The Trailside Standard looks nice. 'Bout how much do they run? How 'bout mags?

As to the carbine idea- I could use one of my dads 10-22's, so who makes a good light stock?

Hal
June 22, 2004, 08:12 AM
halvey
Depends. The Challenge is pretty lightweight. (25oz)

Okiecruffler
June 22, 2004, 03:15 PM
I've got an ATI Drugonov style stock that pretty light. I like it, maybe I should buy another 10-22 to go in it.
http://www.hunt101.com/showphoto.php?photo=66228

9MonkeyMonkey
June 22, 2004, 05:19 PM
How about a replacement receiver for your Ruger? These are supposed to be quite a bit lighter than stock.

http://www.tacticalsol.com/

http://www.gunblast.com/Pac-Lite-22Barrels.htm

Thirties
June 23, 2004, 09:10 AM
Smith and Wesson model 422. It is no longer made, but this is very close to what you may want.

Semiauto, light, accurate, inexpensive,

Nobody
June 23, 2004, 11:10 AM
I'd like to know more about the 422. How much does it weigh? Do they typically function well?

Thirties
June 23, 2004, 01:16 PM
I'll weigh mine and let you know.

As for reliable function, this is very reliable. In fact, I can shoot Super Colibris, although with manual cycling.

This is not S&W's target pistol. That is the model 41 -- big & expensive. The 4 inch 422 and the 6 inch 622 were buit as plinkers. But I can hit anything I aim at within 25 yards.

Nobody
June 23, 2004, 02:05 PM
Thanks! Yes, I'm not interested in the big bulky target gun. I'm most interested in finding out about the 4.5" 422. Like the original poster, I'm also looking for a thin, lightweight, reliable semi-auto .22. I'll look forward to the weight when you get a chance. I looked all over the web but came up with nothing. Is yours the 4.5" or 6" model?

Okiecruffler
June 23, 2004, 02:26 PM
S&W made a bunch of variations on that frame. A 4.5" barrel is listed at 22oz vs. 25 oz for your ruger mkII. Not a huge difference. S&W did make the 2214 on the same frame with a 3 inch barrel that weighs in at about 18 oz. The wife rented a 622 at the range when she was considering getting a 22 pistol and had a ton of feeding problems with it, but that was a range gun, not really fair to judge a whole series on a range gun.

Depending on what part of Okla you're in, last time I was in Outdoor America they had a couple of S&W 422's NIB.

Thirties
June 23, 2004, 05:04 PM
OK, I weighed my SW model 422 with a loaded magazine inserted = just under 23 oz.

Here's a rather flat and fuzzy photo of mine. It's the 4" length.

One of the unusual aspects of this pistol is the barrel is "below" the slide. Check the photo.

http://jellison.50megs.com/images/sw_422.jpg

mattd
June 24, 2004, 02:34 AM
jennings j-22, haha...

Nick96
June 25, 2004, 12:44 AM
The current J Frame S&W light weight .22 revolver is going to be the smallest and lightest for your stated needs (small & light for easy carry - reliable - comfortable to shoot and large enough to consistently hit what you're shooting at more than 10 feet away). If you want to go with an auto, check out the Walther P-22. Again, fairly small & light - but large enough for comfortable & safe handling, and acceptable accuracy. There are also various interchangable grips & barrel lengths available for it.

Bill B.
June 25, 2004, 09:10 PM
A S&W M34 Kit Gun might be to your liking in a 4 in. barrel. These are a super nice little revolver and quite accurate. Anything with a 2" barrel be it a auto or a revolver is going to be quite loud with HV ammo. You might want to try some standard or subsonic ammo to cut down of the blast a bit.

zpo
June 25, 2004, 11:14 PM
I've been using the Winchester Dynapoint bulk ammo. Its a 40 grain copperplated HP round. I'll have to check around to find how fast it goes.

If you enjoyed reading about "Give me .22 choices" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!