Canton Oh area...

PDA

Pheonix
February 12, 2003, 10:18 PM
Do any of you know of any public indoor ranges in the area? I would prefer to stay within 20 miles, I think there are some in Cuyahoga Falls, but I would like to find some closer. At a minimum I would like to shoot pistol but if any will take a .308 all the better.
Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Canton Oh area..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
blitzer0101
February 12, 2003, 10:50 PM
Pro Gun in C. Falls, Ohio on north Front street. Closed Tuesdays , and the rest of this week for the shot show in FL.

There are two more indoor ranges that I know of and have used:

The Hidden Arms in Canal Fulton, Ohio. They were Closed Mondays?

The Dear Hunter in Norton, Ohio. They are closed Wednesdays.

Sorry, Don't have thier phone numbers handy. ;)

tarateddy
February 12, 2003, 11:32 PM
Ohio Outdoor Sports on Sheplar Church Ave SW 1-800-883-8980 has a 7 0r 8 lane indoor range. I think its about $10 an hour.

Parke1
February 13, 2003, 02:15 AM
I've shot at both the Deer Hunter and Pro-Gun, and they're both nice places. Pro-Gun allows shooting of higher caliber rifles, whereas the Deer Hunter only lets you shoot .22 rifles. Any handgun is acceptable at either range.

The Deer Hunter is my standard range when I'm at home (Uniontown, right between Akron and Canton), they're a very friendly bunch. I think it's $8 for half an hour, and $10 for an hour, then about 3 or 4 bucks per additional half hour.

Pretty nice selection of new and used guns at both places, although I'm not sure if either rents out any guns.

If you check out either place, let us know what you think!

-Parke1

Khornet
February 13, 2003, 06:44 AM
but check out Canton-McKinley R&P club, Gans Rd. North Canton. The absolutely nicest range I ever used, especially if you're a pistol enthusiast. It's pretty much a bullseye club as far as organized competition, with a superb indoor range and clubhouse and excellent outdoor as well. Membership was very reasonable when I was there, and I still miss it afer moving to NH. Call Clete Wade, Connie Altieri, or Mike Datsko for details.

Pheonix
February 13, 2003, 07:32 AM
Thanks for the response. I think I will call the one in N. Canton first. Does anyone know the range of any of these ranges? The one on Ft. Street cannot be to big The store above it is about the size of my livingroom (if it is the one I am thinking of). Ohio outdoor sports...Is thier range the legenth or the depth of the building?

Invisible Swordsman
February 13, 2003, 11:50 AM
Ohio Outdoor Sports range is behind the sales area, which runs the entire length (front) of the building. I think the lanes are 25 yards distance.

Pheonix
February 13, 2003, 12:18 PM
Just spent an hour at Ohio Outdoor Sports. They have 7 lanes and are 50 ft. deep. At $10 /hr and the limitations are "must be under 2000ft/sec and for muzzle loaders under 100g charge with unjacketed bullets, rules out my Magnum CVA:( . The guy there was quite friendly and helpful. My only complaint was that at the end of the hour I had an acid taste in the back of my mouth, need to improve ventelation.

I called Canton McKinley R&P Club thier membership was $90 for the first yr and $60 for each year after. Thier indoor pistol range was limited to Pistol calibers, no jacketed bullets,and under2000ft/sec. Rules out my Glock cannot shoot full lead:cuss:. But, they did have a 25 and 50 yard outdoor range and a 200 yd riffle range. Then again so do my inlaws who live on a farm about 15 minutes away from here.

Thanks for your help!

hksw
February 13, 2003, 12:20 PM
I've been trying to get into the Canton McKinley R&P Club myself. You do need endorsement signatures from two current members to get in, though. From my e-mailings from them, they just said to come on down during a shoot, couple members would be more than happy to sign for you (I'm sure how well you conduct yourself in front of them will be scrutinized). Their memberships are from March to March of each year. Your membership is prorated if you do not join in March.

Canton McKinley Rifle & Pistol Club, Inc.
5527 Tyro ST NE
Canton, OH 44721

Telephone: (330) 455-6119
E-Mail: cactus@raex.com

Contact: Tom Wheatley, President or Robert L. Schario, Secretary-Treasurer

Function: To promote safe and responsible shooting, to sponsor pistol regionals and to provide small arms instruction for juniors. It also participates in small-bore rifle, high power rifle, pistol, black powder rifle matches and leagues.

Khornet
February 13, 2003, 12:46 PM
I was a member from summer '94 to Feb '96 when I moved to NH. Folks, this is a FINE club and range, full of very savvy bullseye pistoleros. You won't be able to blast with your Glock indoors, but you can outside of course. The 25-50yd outdoor firing line is something like 50 positions. There is a rifle line, IIRC 8 positions, covered, to 200 yd with good benches. Pistol line has remote-control rotating target frames indoor & out for timed &rapid fire stages.

You can learn a lot from these folks especially about bullseye pistol, but there are other types of shooters too. The day I went to see the range the first time, there was an old-fashioned Scheutzen rifle match in progress! The first time I showed up for a match (league match) the shooters were coming back to the line after firing 50 yd slow fire, most with .45s. Most of those targets had the 10 ring neatly chipped out....one-handed at 50 yd. They were nice as pie to me, and really helped me along. Many members are machinists and the like, and can do work on your guns, as Mike Datsko did on my Mk II.

Ohio state troopers use the range for mass practice/quals several times/year; watch the bulletin and go the next AM if you want a boatload of .40 brass.

Regionals are held there, last stop before Camp Perry, and many of the Perry shooters in the top 25% will be there as well as USMC and Army teams.

I really miss the place, I tell ya. Check it out! Don't know if they still remeber me (Doc Mike Bowen) but there might even be a picture of me with a trophy from pistol league.

If you enjoyed reading about "Canton Oh area..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!