Does CZ75B work for CCW?

PDA

Shane333
June 21, 2004, 11:41 AM
I had just decided on getting a CZ83 and found a good deal thanks to CZF, when I decided to stop in a local gun store and found a used CZ75B for $300.

Since the gun will likely be used for CCW, I'm curious how easy it is to conceal a CZ75B? I'm about 5'10'' with medium build.

My other concern about the CZ75 is the grip. It's fairly thick and I have small hands. Handling the gun I had to shift my grip a little to reach the safety and I'm concerned about being able to reach the safety in a tense situation.

If carrying a CZ75 concealed is very inconvenient, or there isn't a way to make the grip more manageable for small hands, I'll just stick with the CZ83.

If you enjoyed reading about "Does CZ75B work for CCW?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
clipse
June 21, 2004, 12:22 PM
What grips do you have on the 75B? I have one with the standard plastic grips. You could probably find some thinner grips from Hakan or Omega. I don't have their links but both are member on the CZforum. If you are not too set on C&L then why not just carry in DA mode?

As far as concealablity, I(like you) am 5'10" and medium build. I believe that a CZ 75B can be very concealable with the right attire(clothes and holster). Check out www.HBEleatherworks.com for all your CZ holster needs. Hes a great guy to deal with.

I think your CZ 83 will be much more concealable by far but in winter time or cool spring and fall days it will feel awfully nice to have 16-17 rounds of 9mm on you side.

clipse

wally
June 21, 2004, 12:25 PM
I'm 5'10" 205 lbs And there is no way I can hide a 1911 sized gun unless I can wear a coat or jacket and never have to take it off in "public" which around here means its totally out of the question 8-10 months of the year. Maybe if you dress like an MTV rapper ....

Some one from PA claimed to carry a full sized 1911 "year round" and promised pictures "in a seperate thread". Its never shown up.

The CZ75B is thicker than a 1911 so it'll likely be harder to conceal.

Look to the CZ RAMI or a Kahr IMHO, my CZ83 is a great gun but in that size there are lots of choices that are smaller and significantly more powerful, so I've never even considered carrying it fo a momnet.

$300 for a used CZ75B don't seem that great unless its also got 15 Rnd mags as I got mine new a few weeks ago for $360.

--wally.

RWK
June 21, 2004, 12:36 PM
I have had NO problems comfortably concealing my CZ 75B, slightly behind the hip, employing a Fobus strong-side holster and an Akers, Kevlar-lined, 1.5 inch leather belt. The solid belt is VERY important, since it both bears the load and must not sag. With 15+1 loading, my CZ 75B is a HEAVY concealed carry package, essentially equal to N Frame revolvers and 1911A1s. But is can be comfortably and securely concealed.

Shane333
June 21, 2004, 12:44 PM
Thanks for the replies. Clipse, that website is great. Thanks for the link.

Wally, I'm more in the 170 lbs range and lately I've taken to wearing nice cargo pants (or shorts) with an untucked button-up shirt. Sort of a preppy-casual look. I believe I could probably hide a 1911 or CZ75 sized pistol. Of course, I only dress that way about half the time, and unless it's winter, I'd have a hard time concealing a gun of that size.

Since the gun is used, I could try talking with the sales people at the store and see if they'll come down on price. Unfortunately, since CZ's aren't incredibly common and finding a used one is even less common, I don't know if they'll come down very much on price.

Yes, there are 9x19 guns that are as small as the CZ83. Most of them cost a lot more and I find them more difficult to keep on target.

clipse
June 21, 2004, 12:48 PM
I've taken to wearing nice cargo pants (or shorts) with an untucked button-up shirt. Sort of a preppy-casual look.

That is what you will always find me in. You should have no problem concealing a 75B with your choice of clothing.

clipse

PCRCCW
June 21, 2004, 01:17 PM
I can personally guarantee you the CZ can be carried by a 5'10" guy who isnt huge......and I carried a FS 1911 for a long time also. It just depends on your cover garments.....an oversized T shirt will do wonders.

With proper carry location, cant/angle and rd ht..........along with a good cover garment......Id say anyone can carry anything they wanted to....within reason. A 50 BMG may be a tad much........:D

Shoot well.

wally
June 21, 2004, 01:21 PM
Behind your hip with an untucked shirt you may think its well concealed, but just because you can't see it when you look it the mirror....

http://groups.google.com/groups?dq=&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&threadm=ca5nj9%242ao%241%40grapevine.wam.umd.edu&prev=/groups%3Fdq%3D%26num%3D25%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26group%3Drec.guns%26start%3D225

--wally.

CZF
June 21, 2004, 03:06 PM
The 75B is indeed a service sized pistol and offers a challenge for most
for CCW.

The butt of the pistol is the deciding factor in concealment.
With years of carrying a few CZ75s. I used a Safari Vest
in the summer and a filson wool vest in the winter.

This was with an array of belt holsters as i'm no fan of IWB.
After a score of holsters, i've settled on Cen-Dex and HBE.

Look to ERIC for your holster needs and carry questions.
He hides a CZ40B every day.

browneu
June 21, 2004, 04:24 PM
Perhaps you should consider the 2075 Rami for a carry gun in 9x19. Look through the net you just talking a little more for the gun. If this doesn't appeal to you I had a holster made from Eric and not only is it very comfortable it does its job well.

Shane333
June 21, 2004, 04:39 PM
The Rami would be a great option if I could find one for about $300. Unfortunately, they cost a lot more than that.

wally
June 21, 2004, 06:06 PM
Rami would be a great option if I could find one for about $300. Unfortunately, they cost a lot more than that.

I saw the 9mm CZ RAMI new at a gun show a few weeks ago for $396.

I paid $420 for mine when it first came out. Not horribly more expensive. Save a while longer, pick up aluminum cans along the side of the road and cash 'em in, whatever it takes :)

I don''t carry my RAMI because I have a Kahr PM40, and I'd have bought it in .40 if I thought I'd ever carry it, but its a sweet shooting little gun and I don't do much worse with it compared to the full size CZ75.

I didn't suggest a Kahr because I figured cost might be a problem.

--wally.

Shane333
June 21, 2004, 06:13 PM
"Save a while longer, pick up aluminum cans along the side of the road and cash 'em in, whatever it takes "

Ouch! Truth can hurt sometimes. I remember doing that as a teenager. To pull the money together I may have to do something similar.

Gunsnrovers
June 21, 2004, 07:45 PM
I'm 5'6" and a 32" waist. I don't carry CCW here in LA, but I can tuck away a 1911 and my CZ fairely well. All depends on how I dress. I tend towards shorts and large Hawaiian shirts. They cover up a lot.

Grip wise, the CZ is definately a stretch compared to my HP and 1911, however new grips helped thin things out. My new Hakan grips are great. I've got smallish hands. I don't use the pistol DA because the long reach is not good, but in SA cocked and locked I have no issues.

spartacus2002
June 21, 2004, 07:54 PM
I'm 5'10", 140lbs. I carry a 1911A1 IWB behind right hip with no problem with a T-shirt untucked.

Here's my issue: so what if the butt of the pistol prints a little bit? Most folks will assume it's a cellphone.:confused:

Marcus
June 21, 2004, 10:33 PM
Okay,first of all the CZ-75B is *not* thick in any way,shape or form. Measure one against a 1911 and you`ll find that the slide is slimmer and the grip depending on type and brand will be just slightly thicker (75B Military thumb rest grips),the same (factory plastic grips) or *thinner* (Hogue wood grips or slim Hakans) than a typical 1911 with wood stocks. I`ve meaured them with a digital calipers,it`s a fact. That being the case the CZ-75B is particularly well suited for IWB carry. I use a remolded Ky-tac Braveheart IWB for mine. The widely spaced belt loops really spread the weight out and make it a pleasure to carry all day. Keeping the loops outboard of the gun also keeps the holster slim,which helps take advantage of the gun`s thinness. With a good rigid gunbelt (I use a 1.5" DeSantis) you don`t even notice the weight. The key is keeping the butt of the gun tucked in tight to your body. I`d try and stay away from a real aggressive rake too since that tends to take up more IWB room. Easy to conceal? Maybe not quite easy,but not hard either. Easy as a CZ-83,well no. But it`s a whole lot more gun in firepower as well as size/weight. Marcus

PCRCCW
June 21, 2004, 10:38 PM
Wally,
When you raise a daughter to "spot printing/your gun is showing"..as I did as a holster maker, she helped me in my work and shows no mercy. She can spot a CCW holder at 100 yds, in a crowd during a riot..........
I pass her test everyday and that is a good thing...............

Search the forum for a story about the Cop who got busted "printing" by her and youll understand what I go through.....

And yes, I still carry very large guns...........:D Shoot well

mattk
June 21, 2004, 10:42 PM
I am 5'2 and have 29 inch waist. I carried a 5 inch 1911 for everyday for 2 years. I still carry a Colt Commander when I carry a big gun. They conceal very well. No jacket required.
I have CCWed a CZ 75 Compact when the need arose. (Refinishing or other such work on the 1911's)before I bought the Commander.

Chris Rhines
June 21, 2004, 10:51 PM
I'm 5'11", 165#. I've carried a full-size CZ-75b in a Kydex tuckable holster under a tucked-in polo shirt. No one was ever the wiser. Use a good belt and a good holster, and you should be able to hide yours.

- Chris

armoredman
June 21, 2004, 11:18 PM
I have carried a Witness 40 full size, (CZ75 clone), for 13 years, and I carry IWB in an HBE rig, pictured here. No problem. I haven't been "made" that I know of, and my wif and I "check" each other before we leave the house.
http://www.hunt101.com/img/089837.jpg (http://www.hunt101.com/?p=89837&c=500&z=1)

My wife just got her 9mm RAMI, and so far it's a heck of a little pistol, if you can get one!

Trebor
June 22, 2004, 03:37 AM
The CZ-75 is a good carry gun if you like carrying a full-size service pistol. If you can carry a 1911 or a Berretta 92 or a Glock 17, the CZ won't be a problem.

For me, I decided against everyday carry of the CZ. I have a Milt Sparks Versa Max II holster which works very well, but the weight of the gun gets to be a pain after just a medium amount of time.

Instead of the CZ, I carry a Makarov in a IWB clip-on holster every day. I've tried the CZ, but it was just too heavy for all day carry and required different clothes then I usually wear to properly conceal.

Like most things, you can carry a CZ-75 concealed if you want too bad enough. I just decided that a different gun was my best option.

If you enjoyed reading about "Does CZ75B work for CCW?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!