"Terrorism Preparedness For Them & Us"???

PDA

David
February 12, 2003, 10:43 PM
Terrorism Preparedness Suggestions --

FOR THEM (the DC big-shots):

-- Avenger Missiles

-- Tons of SWAT Cops

-- Blackhawks

-- F-16's

FOR US (the average US citizen):

-- Extra water

-- Extra food

-- Plastic Sheeting

-- Duct Tape

Am I missing something?:cuss:

Just my 2 cents...

If you enjoyed reading about ""Terrorism Preparedness For Them & Us"???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
othermarc
February 12, 2003, 11:02 PM
I always have extra food, cuz the thought of being separated from food is terrifying to me. But having duct tape and plastic sheeting seems pretty useless to me. even if I was able to seal off my drafty house, I'd need a source of fresh air from somewhere or I'd suffocate...

if there were something in the air that could get me, and it was going to be around longer than a day, then I will keep the car with a full tank of gas and be ready to head for the hills. Otherwise I think I'm pretty much just screwed.

I guess 3M and Henkel are making some money of this latest rage in consumerism. Should have bought some of their stock!

sixgun_symphony
February 13, 2003, 04:33 AM
Rather than plastic and duct tape, I think some gas masks and a full tank of gas in a well maintained vehicle would be a better option.

cslinger
February 13, 2003, 09:40 AM
Just for the record chances are that if any of us are involved in a terrorist action we will either be dead and not even know what happened or be part of the background of injured or simply effected.

I don't think there would be many chances for us to help the cause or defend ourselves with firearms etc. I realize that the chance does exist that some eagle eyed CCW carrier notices a dirtbag getting ready to set off a bomb or take a shot but the reality of it in my mind is those instances would be very few and far between.

The government on the other hand is much more likely to have an armed confrontation with terrorists since they are actively seeking them out and making entry etc. in order to capture or kill them.

I think everybody in this country should own and carry a firearm just like I think everybody should own and carry a knife or fire extinquisher etc. Not because of terrorists but for any number of other reasons. Home grown dirtbags, break down in the middle of nowhere, etc.

That being said the best thing we can do is have some extra food, water, supplies etc. Now part of that is owning a gun to keep those who would take what you have away but again I see that as a scenario that is less likely to happen. I know it has happened and will again but statistically we still are not talking about something that happens everyday.

The hardest thing we have to do in this war is to hunker down and show the world that we will not change our lifestyle. This is very difficult sometimes but being a person who thinks that there is always some good to come out of even the worst bad I think in the long run the world may become just a little safer and the average joe will become a little more prepared for the worst.

Now I am going to crawl back into my bunker, sweep the perimiter, re-set the claymores and make sure the quad .50s are lubed up. :D

Greg L
February 13, 2003, 09:53 AM
Having extra food and water is a good idea if for no other reason than if something does happen you don't want to be out on the streets/in the store with all the people who didn't stock up a bit. Around here people get in a panic with even the threat of an inch or two of snow and strip the store shelves bare. I really don't relish the thought of fighting it out with a crazed soccer mom over the last gallon of milk or loaf of bread.

If you have enough supplies on hand to ride out a week or two of whatever, your stress level will be much better than those who didn't. That peace of mind will allow you to concentrate on more important things, like getting out of the way of that soccer mom in her suv racing towards the store.

Greg

Jack19
February 13, 2003, 11:05 AM
Am I missing something?

Yup.....They've taken the "Civil" out of Civil Defense. When is the last time you heard about "Civil Defense?" Now it's "Homeland Security."

Civilians are no longer the major concern.

Phil Ca
February 13, 2003, 11:11 AM
While having duct tape and plastic sheeting around the house is not a bad idea, don't forget stocking up on some extra ammo. don't wait until the National Ammo Day to buy more ammo. Down the road it may be hard to obtain or require too many types of ID or reasons.

When I was in the US Army we usually walked our post with a carbine and one 15 round magazine filled with 10 rounds. In the Air Force it was walking around the fields near where the B-52s were parked carrying a carbine, again a 15 round magazine with 10 rounds but one added feature, it was taped to the stock with green tape that left a residue on the magazine. You were expected to peel off the tape and insert the magazine and then prepare to do battle with the bad guys in -20 degree weather. I always carried a sheath knife hidden inside my winter gear that I figured I would be able to hack the tape off the stock to access the magazine.

During my 10 years of military service we never received enough range time in any location I was in IMO. I usually resorted to practicing on my own with a .22 rifle, 1911 model .45 or a 9mm pistol. I probably got more practice than anyone in my unit.

:o

Art Eatman
February 13, 2003, 11:14 AM
All the laws and re-organizations since 9/11 are for protection of government folks. And, you stop to think about it, we have millions of people who depend on government for their money. If terrorists could mess up government doings, these millions of folks would become serious problems for the rest of us.

Heckuva mess we've voted ourselves into, ain't it?

So, IMO, a prudent person sets himself up to be able to stay home and out of the way of turmoil, as much as possible/feasible/reasonable.

And make sure you have your head screwed firmly into Condition Yellow: "You can't control your environment if you don't know what's going on around you."

:), Art

Selfdfenz
February 13, 2003, 11:47 AM
Pretty right on target as usual Art.

For the folks that want to go get the stuff recommended by the gov I'm not sure that it hurts or helps anything. There is always something positive to be said for at least having people think they are doing something to positively influence their personal situations.
A little low grade concern now is better than full scale panic later don't you think?
Those people are at least tuned-in to the news which is a good thing IMO.

I don't know enough about ALL the weapons that could be used on this or that city to comment too much other than to say if you can keep "it" off of your skin and out of your lungs and don't eat it you are doing the right thing. BTY, does anybody know how often our troops would have to change out their mask filters if they were in a mustard, VX environment? I've heard its very frequently and if that's true I can't see how having a gas mask and one filter, if your happy neighborhood gets attacked, is a bunch better than having plastic on your windows. I'm sure some here will have more informed opinions but much about getting people scared results in somebody selling them a bunch of stuff. I saw some of my best friends go batty over Y2K and others will do so now. Their are sadly plenty of people out there that will be working had to make a buck in their fears.

For some reason I can't get too worked up about suicide bombers being a big deal here.

Anywho, there have been repeated reports the Uncle Sugar will be moving the survivors out of the affected areas anyway. I assume that means out to the country. I assume that means tents or trailers but who knows. I recon they figure it would take 3 days to get the school busses gassed up and loading out the hoods. Hence food and H2O for 3 days and then all the MREs you can eat.

Unless it gets pretty stinko I'd much rather stay home. A government camp somehow fails to thrill me especially as they will be checking for weapons....which I would want to take...which they won't let me take etc.

Al-in-all, if people want to wrap their house up with plastic wrap I could care less. If they feel safer that's a good thing.
I'll be interested to see how many houses are wrapped totally in tin foil:)

The biggest down-side to this "scare" is the "scare" that it causes. Which is exactly what the BGs want.

S-

Pray for our folks that are already "over there" or on the way.

Greg L
February 13, 2003, 12:00 PM
Actually wrapping your house in plastic and duct tape is just the new energy conservation movement, just disguised as "security" :D.

This brings up memories of the pre Y2K semi panic. As was mentioned then and works now, think of it as a big winter storm approaching. You may need to stay in your house without services for a week or so, plan accordingly.

I think that the biggest problem will be that if something isolated happens somewhere in the county there will be widespread sheeple stampeeds most everywhere. It is that that I plan to avoid. The guns and ammo don't have a whole lot to do with the preparations unless some self appointed income redistributers come a calling.

Greg

4v50 Gary
February 13, 2003, 12:08 PM
GregL brings up a good point about insulation. :D May I add to it that we should also include a layer of aluminum foil, shiny side out? Not only would this deflect thought control beams, but also dazzle their surveillance satellites.:neener:

foghornl
February 13, 2003, 12:22 PM
I am not so worried about an individual act of terror as I am the 'aftermath', that is all those folks suddenly realizing that they have nothing, and try to take mine.

While I could be taken down by say a couple of clowns driving down my street popping off some sort of full-auto AK or SKS, etc, the Sheeple Ripple Effect is what scares me more.

ball3006
February 13, 2003, 02:07 PM
ammo and the means to deliver it. In the long run everyone that bought more than one roll of duct tape will regulate it to the same area all of the mre's went after Y2K..chris3

Riphalman
February 13, 2003, 03:10 PM
I believe you nailed it. There is little we can do to prevent a terrorist attack. The real danger to most of us lies in the aftermath.

Bainx
February 13, 2003, 04:20 PM
Hey, if you wrap up a room and seal it with plastic and duct tape, won't you suffocate?
Golly Gee, doesn't sound like too good an idea to me!:uhoh:

BerettaNut92
February 13, 2003, 04:33 PM
And they ask me why I carry a roll of duct tape on my Camelbak.

never understood the plastic sheets. Suffocation seems to be the most unpleasant way to die.

If you can't fix it with duct tape...you can't fix it :)

Selfdfenz
February 13, 2003, 05:01 PM
The whole duct tape think is a natural for the Red Green Show.
S-

If you enjoyed reading about ""Terrorism Preparedness For Them & Us"???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!