Bear breaks in, sherrifs open up on it with ar-15 rifles.

PDA

odysseus
June 22, 2004, 03:28 PM
Interesting read. Lady trapped and bear charges LEO's on site.

Bear killed after breaking into Tahoe home

Tuesday, June 22, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(06-22) 10:26 PDT CAVE ROCK, Nev. (AP) --

A 150-pound bear that broke into a Tahoe home, trapping a woman in her bedroom, was killed Monday by two sheriff's deputies who fired 15 rounds from semiautomatic rifles as the bear charged them.

Douglas County Sheriff's Sgt. Tom Mezzetta said the deputies who responded to Maria Cooper's 911 call for help opened fire after they walked up a narrow staircase to an elevated deck and saw the bear, which had been eating bananas in the living room, come out of the house toward them.

One officer fired a single round into the bear, which ran to the side of the deck and then turned and charged, Mezzetta said.

"They had nowhere to go but 25 feet to the ground below," Mezzetta said in explaining why both deputies then opened fire with their AR-15 rifles. The bear died about six feet from them.

Carl Lackey, a Nevada Fish and Game bear expert, said the bear, about 18 months old, had caused problems before and had been caught and released in mountains above Cave Rock two months ago.

Cooper was shaken but unharmed. A sliding glass door had been torn open by the bear, and there was damage to the deck and slight damage to the home's interior caused as the bear foraged through a refrigerator.

Mezzetta said three nearby homes had trash cans placed at curbside for pickup the following day. Because bears are attracted to garbage, authorities say trash cans shouldn't be put out until scheduled collection days.

If you enjoyed reading about "Bear breaks in, sherrifs open up on it with ar-15 rifles." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
El Tejon
June 22, 2004, 03:30 PM
:rolleyes:

Langenator
June 22, 2004, 03:31 PM
An AR-15 is sure better than no gun, but if I was a cop getting a call about a bear, I'd sure as heck want something bigger.

12 ga with slugs would probably be my choice from the standard LE kit.

spacemanspiff
June 22, 2004, 03:33 PM
sounds like a bear cub to me. 150 lbs?

TallPine
June 22, 2004, 04:16 PM
And in a related story ...

Papa and Mama Baer are devasted by the loss of their son, Teddy.

"Why did they have to kill him," Mama Baer sobbed, "he was just hungry and looking for something to eat."

"Teddy was a good kid," Papa Baer insisted. "He was in the process of getting his life turned around."

A sliding glass door had been torn open by the bear, and there was damage to the deck and slight damage to the home's interior caused as the bear foraged through a refrigerator.
Obviously the homeowner is at fault for not storing her bananas more securely.

Leatherneck
June 22, 2004, 04:19 PM
TALLPINE! :D :D :D

TC
TFL Survivor

magsnubby
June 22, 2004, 04:42 PM
Hmmm.....I think he was looking for Goldylocks.

Coltdriver
June 22, 2004, 04:53 PM
If a civilian defended his life like that here in Colorado he would go to jail!

Nightfall
June 22, 2004, 05:20 PM
Good thing they were cops! If it had been "civilians" with assault rifles, 2 babies, a puppy, and 13 single mothers would have been killed. :rolleyes:

Standing Wolf
June 22, 2004, 05:22 PM
TallPine:

Well said!

tommytrauma
June 22, 2004, 10:03 PM
And there goes our best chance to find out how tasers work on bears.

tulsamal
June 22, 2004, 10:16 PM
So if they used AR-15's to kill a bear, doesn't that make them _by definition_ "sporting rifles?"

Gregg

jAK-47
June 22, 2004, 11:03 PM
GREAT! Now we'll have a mommy bear joining the next Million Mom March. I can just see the "For The Children" button on the fur now:cuss:

Here's what has transpired since the senseless killing...

1) Flowers and jars of honey have littered the driveway at the scene of the tragic murder.
2) Rosie O'Donnell has accused the wife of the murdering LEO of wearing suspicious/real fur.
3) Mandatory refrigerator door locks must now be purchased with every new refrigerator.
4) The local NAB (Narcissistic Anorexic Bitches) chapter has introduced legislation that would make it mandatory for all bees to produce honey not more than 10 feet from the ground. This would lessen the chance of a bear falling out of a tree in pursuit of honey.
5) Ted Kennedy has offered to drive any captured bear away from populated areas. Bridges that span water are to be avoided on the trip.
6) Diane Feinstein has commissioned a local artist to do a mural of the murdered bear on a roadside billboard. CAPTION: "Assault Rifles - UnBearably Dangerous!"
7) A radical bear group called "Hyber Nation" is planning a protest march at the local National Forest.

I - I love a good rant...
Last but not least, here's a pic of the victim's parents. After the out of court settlement, Mr. and Mrs. Pawz moved into the home where their son was murdered.
http://www.acapworldwide.com/images/bear2.jpg

SCOOP - JUST IN. A neighbor shot this incriminating evidence of LEOs trying to stash the evidence! Those FIENDS!

http://www.bearsmart.com/northshore/NS%20Dead%20Bear-Sept%2012.jpg

jAK-47

4v50 Gary
June 22, 2004, 11:08 PM
Tallpine - that was unbearable. :D

The_Antibubba
June 23, 2004, 02:42 AM
"Why couldn't the just shoot him in the leg?" Or "Couldn't a sharpshooter have just shot the claws out of his hand?"

:banghead: :rolleyes:

sm
June 23, 2004, 03:18 AM
TallPine :D

If these guys had been members of THR they would have been better prepared for bears. "What ifs" threads have taught a lot of folks to handle a number of situations...bears, zombies, aliens...

sm
June 23, 2004, 03:20 AM
Does this mean the Cub Scouts will soon be teaching disarm drills ?
;)

mete
June 23, 2004, 05:49 AM
Capital punishment for eating bananas ??? A 150 lb bear is 1 1/2 years old and on his own for the first time and they can act like a teenager just like the one that knocked on my door a year ago. But I just chased him away ( though I didn't have any bananas).

griz
June 23, 2004, 06:27 AM
Yogi or Boo Boo?

Pappy John
June 23, 2004, 07:55 AM
Tommytrauma, :D :evil: It's a good thing I didn't have a mouthful of coffee when I read that.

Dave R
June 23, 2004, 08:03 AM
Podleshooters. Sheesh. If'n they'd a had a .45-70, they coulda stopped that bear with 1 shot.

ID_shooting
June 23, 2004, 08:17 AM
"two sheriff's deputies who fired 15 rounds from semiautomatic rifles"

"both deputies then opened fire with their AR-15 rifles"

I really want to know why the press thinks that LEOs have semi-auto AR-15 rifles but we all have "dangerous assult rifles."

sturmruger
June 23, 2004, 10:57 AM
Too bad for the bear, he needed to learn some self control.

ScottsGT
June 23, 2004, 12:32 PM
Michael Moores next flim flam film!!

Jack Booted Thugs Vs. Pooh!
Rated NC-17
(just because the director is a complete jack ass)

thumbtack
June 23, 2004, 01:03 PM
"Why didn't they try and use pepper spray... they are just trigger happy cops" stated Yogi Bear.

Dr.Rob
June 23, 2004, 01:39 PM
Why didn't someone call Animal Control or DOW?

Now if the bear was snacking on her schnauzer in the living room I can see a need for deadly force... but the bear was OUTSIDE on the deck... 25 feet in the air... didn't it occur to anyone to SHUT THE :cuss: DOOR?

Sounds like a stupid waste of a bear and ammunition and common sense.

Bart Noir
June 23, 2004, 02:44 PM
OK, Dr. Rob, I'll bite on that one.
Lady has her kitchen trashed and then is going to leave the bedroom to go see if it is still there, and shut the door (which the bear has proven it can open) upon seeing it 3 feet away out on the deck? Maybe Mrs. Rambo would do that.
Cops arrive on a "lady hysterical and sure she's going to die" call and will just stroll up the stairs, past the bear, and close the sliding door?
I think the officers were justified and did well.

Bart Noir

carpettbaggerr
June 23, 2004, 04:30 PM
opened fire after they walked up a narrow staircase to an elevated deck and saw the bear...come out of the house toward them. One officer fired a single round into the bear, which ran to the side of the deck and then turned and charged, Mezzetta said.
So they should have shut the door before the bear came out of the house? Trapping the bear in the house with the lady?

CZ-100
June 23, 2004, 04:54 PM
Hey BOO-BOO.... Let's go Steal us a Pic-a-nic Basket.

:D

Doc
June 23, 2004, 07:03 PM
said the bear, about 18 months old, had caused problems before and had been caught and released in mountains above Cave Rock two months ago.

maybe if they had taken it FURTHER from peoples homes...like to CALIFORNIA!!
i am sure the mountain bikers will enjoy the bears almost as much as the
mountain lions :D

Edmond
June 23, 2004, 07:37 PM
I would've thrown my AR-15 down and wrestled that darn bear to the ground!:D

Skunkabilly
June 23, 2004, 08:06 PM
Colt or Bushmaster for bears?

Aimpoint or Eotech for bears?

16" or 20"?

CGofMP
June 23, 2004, 11:11 PM
"Guns in the home are much more likely to kill people in the home than defend against an attacker."

Why did this lady just not use the martial arts training prescribed by the Odonnel's and Million Mom Marchers of this world? I am sure qa well placed knife edge kick, a side heel thrust, or better yet a simple hand-chop to the bear's skull would have worked far far better than anything she could have done with say a rifle chambered in 457 magnum, with a Barrel length, 14 3/8 inches, stock cut off at the pistol grip, big loop lever, ghost ring sights, Laser Light mount attached and a Insight Technologies M6 laser/illuminator attached.

http://www.wildwestguns.com/Bushwacker/Bushwacker2.jpg

MarkDido
June 24, 2004, 12:01 AM
maybe if they had taken it FURTHER from peoples homes...like to CALIFORNIA!!
i am sure the mountain bikers will enjoy the bears almost as much as the
mountain lions

Don't you mean that the bears and mountain lions will enjoy the mountain bikers?

El Tejon
June 24, 2004, 08:58 AM
Ahh, to bears and pumas, the Eloi all taste like chicken.:D

Obviously the officers should have first posted a poll on THR to see what the correct thing to do was.:rolleyes:

It's a critter--shoot it. I'm glad someone out there has the right idea.:banghead:

tcsd1236
June 24, 2004, 09:41 AM
Why didn't someone call Animal Control or DOW?
Whats animal control going to do other than put a rope around its head? Lots of good that will do.
En Con will shoot it just like the Deputies did.....

TallPine
June 24, 2004, 12:19 PM
Obviously, this is a racial issue ...

the cops only shot it because it was a BLACK bear.

:D

:neener:

Missouri Mule
June 24, 2004, 01:12 PM
How many rounds actually hit the bear and where at, after the first?

I will agree, in bear country I'd personally feel better armed with 12 ga magnum slugs or even OO buck.

Luckyorwhat
June 24, 2004, 01:45 PM
But surely some of you have to admit you like nature, even a little bit? Hey, I'm all for self-defence, but there is a limit... constructing situations which can only provoke conflicts, so that you can use self-defence is obviously not justified - in my opinion.

If you like nature, then you might as well respect it. If you don't like nature, then why the hell do you build a mansion in it? Comparing numbers, every bear is worth dozens of humans - and there is a critical mass required for breeding and so on.

I really would have expected hunters to be more in defence of wildLIFE. Ironic? No, hunters understand and appreciate nature more than most other people - in my experience.

Sorry, but I live near a town in Canada called Banff, and it's becoming a tourist hot-spot. You would not believe the crap you see people do, not just feeding bears, luring bears over with food to get good photographs... I'm pretty much scared ????less when I encounter a 10 foot tall moose, but not some people...

And in mountain-towns up here Bears are often seen around - they have special boxy garbage cans because of this. This nature stuff is very very fragile, and I don't want to sound like a raving nature maniac, but I just don't like the precedent being set. Housing developments sprawl further and further into the wilderness, right? This urban sprawl shows no signs of slowing, so one can simply calculate the rate and multiply by distance to see how long until there is no nature left. Not cool.

If you enjoyed reading about "Bear breaks in, sherrifs open up on it with ar-15 rifles." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!