Question about PASGT Fragmentation Vests

PDA

QKRTHNU
February 13, 2003, 12:19 AM
I've been seaching around for used PASGT vests. Looks like there are several online shops that have good deals on these and there are a few newer ones on Ebay as well.

The question I have is are all of the PASGT vests the same? From what I've read they look like they were designed in the 80's and haven't changed.

Are they all are made with Kevlar or were some just balistic nylon? Is the Kevlar removable or is it woven into the fabric?

If you enjoyed reading about "Question about PASGT Fragmentation Vests" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SIGarmed
February 13, 2003, 10:33 PM
I would seriously pass on any used flack jackets. Why would you buy something for shrapnel when you could get something definately better?

My old unit tested one out a decade ago agains't NATO 9mm and the vest didn't stop any rounds.

If its was in very used condition it would be even worse as the ballistic material degrades with time and use.

QKRTHNU
February 14, 2003, 01:15 PM
At well under $100 in like new condition it's hard to pass up. And you could always wear a real vest underneath.

I'm thinking about getting one and dying it black for daily wear. Unless there are some black covers available? I've only seen the desert camo covers.

EDIT: Just realized it would make more sense to just dye one of the desert camo covers instead of the actual vest.

SkaerE
February 15, 2003, 09:55 PM
PASGT vests are not made to stop rounds period. plus they are cut WAY wrong to try and wear under clothing. plus, they are generally old and abused,

ive shot waaaaaay more PASGT vests than your average person. from my incredibly unscientific tests a flak jacket will stop 22lr about 1/2 of the time, 380 about 25%, 9mm about 10% (maybe)

from my time in the Army I came to the conclusion that the PASGT vest was made to keep your torso whole for ID purposes, not to stop anything.

if you want inexpensive body armor, get police trade-ins. most trade in their armor every couple of years and those will protect you infinitly better than a flak jacket. and they are generally under $150 or so. (check E-bay)

If you enjoyed reading about "Question about PASGT Fragmentation Vests" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!