New inductee to the cult of the P7

PDA

MarineTech
June 23, 2004, 05:51 PM
Well I finally took the plunge.

I'm a firm believer that a defensive firearm should come in a caliber starting with a 4 and ending in 5, but I've admired the P7s for years. I've fired them several times and I was extremely happy with the results. Accuracy was always extremely good, and it's one of the few pistols that fits my hands perfectly. The small footprint of the gun always struck me as nearly perfect for concealed carry.

So..... when I went into my local gunshop today, the dealer told me he had something in he wanted to show me. Sure enough, there sat a P7 in the original factory box. My "gun sense" started tingling. Got a good amount of "fondle time" with it, and even got to put a magazine of ammo through it. Then before I knew it, I found myself saying "Set it aside for me, I'll take it."

Outside the shop, I found myself asking "What did I just do?"

Still, looking at the deal (got it for just over $700 LNIB) I did pretty well. It's the PSP model with the Eurpean magazine release. Not really a problem for me since I've got a fair amount of trigger time on Uzis and I'm used to the release on the grip. The one drawback I've found so far though is magazines. There's only one with the pistol. It caused me to think twice about buying it, but I figured "Hey, I can find them on the internet." Whoops, mistake!

Found several places stocking the P7M8 magazines, but very few seem to have the P7 PSP European mags. Anybody know where I can find some for under the $50 that CDNN is charging?

Still though, I'm pretty happy with myself overall. Now to find about 4 magazines, and a nice Milt Sparks IWB holster, and I'm ready for a night on the town.

Might even have to culture up a German accent for my next range session.
"Guten tag, My name is Dieter, unt now on Shprockets..... Vee shoot."
:rolleyes:

If you enjoyed reading about "New inductee to the cult of the P7" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Wildalaska
June 23, 2004, 06:06 PM
$50 is pretty much what yer gonna pay for mags no matter what

WildandthatsthatAlaska

telewinz
June 23, 2004, 06:14 PM
I almost got a P7 for $700 two months ago. A police trade-in that was in excellent shape WITH an extra magazine. I had one many years before and they are still a "status" symbol, also easy to trade or sell. But the auto loader market has caught-up with the P7 like the cheaper and smaller Keltec P11 and half a dozen very expensive/ high quality 9mm's. Since I can not shoot lead reloads in the P7 and its no longer a pocket CCW (it was VERY CCW 20 years ago) other than quality, it just didn't get the juices flowing again. My P11 would be more useful to me but to each his own.

Barry in IN
June 23, 2004, 08:35 PM
Welcome to the club.

Just wait until you shoot it!

When you do, you might find that you won't be as concerned about stepping down to a 9mm as you were.
It seems that most people's marksmanship improves when they get a P7, no matter what they were shooting before. I think the gun shoots by itself, and we just watch.

I've read and heard it said that people buy the 1911 for the chambering, and the Browning Hipower for the feel.
I think you can add on: People buy HK P7s for how well they can shoot them.

I don't how much P7 magazines are there, but www.KYImports.com usually has decent used magazine prices. I haven't got any P7 mags from them, but any others I've gotten were in great shape.

BamBam-31
June 24, 2004, 05:22 AM
Stupid question: Is there a difference between the P7M8 mags and the PSP mags, or are the differences solely in the pistols' mag releases?

MarineTech
June 24, 2004, 07:51 AM
From what I can tell, yes there is a difference.

The PSP magazines have a notch in the bottom rear for the Euro mag catch to latch into. The P7M8 mags have a different system for the mag release by the trigger guard to latch into.

Barry in IN
June 24, 2004, 05:08 PM
I've been assuming you know about this- www.parkcitiestactical.com and the P7 info there, but thought I'd throw it out there.

Obiwan
June 24, 2004, 08:10 PM
If you change your mind ...which is unlikely....

They sell fast...even the PSP versions

For instance...you could call ME!

I got one from WildaP7ineveryhouseAlaska and I love it

Greg Bell
June 26, 2004, 01:11 AM
Welcome my child. Be prepared to look down at all other guns..and be right about it:D

BamBam-31
June 26, 2004, 05:42 AM
Unless you're looking at a P210. ;)

lunde
June 26, 2004, 11:14 AM
About P7M8 and P7 PSP magazine interchangability...

The P7M8 magazine will not fit into the P7 PSP due to the protrusion that interfaces with the P7M8's magazine release (the entire length of the P7M8 magazine well has a groove to accommodate this protrusion, but the P7 PSP lacks this).

The P7 PSP magazine will fit into the P7M8 magazine well, but there's nothing to lock it into place.

Mark
June 26, 2004, 12:47 PM
There is a gentleman named John I was directed to from the Park Citites board that deals in P7 mags. I believe I also saw some links here in the past. All the feedback was positive, as was my experience. I think the latest price was $38.00.

These are the addresses I have for him.

jjohnson53@chartermi.net

globeprec@cac.net

Greg Bell
July 1, 2004, 04:15 PM
Bam,

"Unless you're looking at a P210."

blasphemy!!! :cuss:

If you enjoyed reading about "New inductee to the cult of the P7" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!