Toughest take-down?

PDA

patentnonsense
June 24, 2004, 12:32 AM
I just got a Colt Model 1903 Hammerless - I love the pistol, but the field strip would've taken me hours to figure out without help - what a cross-eyed crotch-kicking conundrum!!

Is there anything worse? I'm getting more appreciation for the simplificationof the 1911, and the further simplification in the High-Power.

On the "easy" end, I can take down my Beretta 92-type in under 5 seconds, and my FN 5.7 was even easier - two quite different mechanisms, but both nearly fast enough to strip before your empty mag hits the ground.

If you enjoyed reading about "Toughest take-down?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
itgoesboom
June 24, 2004, 02:14 AM
Everyone always complains about the Ruger mkIIs and 22/45s, but I think they are a piece of cake.

I have even heard a couple people complain about taking down a Bersa .380...:scrutiny:

I.G.B.

arinvolvo
June 24, 2004, 03:26 AM
hmmm, yes the 22/45 is ok to take down...but sucks to put back together...

its easy after you learn, but still more complicated than any other pistol i have stripped.

max popenker
June 24, 2004, 05:19 AM
Makarov PM is a no-brainer to strip and re-assemble. Can be done with eyes closed.

mfree
June 24, 2004, 08:25 AM
Well..... I've only got 3 pistols, and they're not bad to field strip. On a walther P22, you yank down the plastic clip on the frame and pull the slide back and lift it; on my CZ75 you push the slide back to the deisassembly marks and push the slide stop pin out (with a thumb on mine, it's broken in), and on a CZ52 you just pull the breakdown button and lift the slide off.

I will tell you though, till you figure out the "trick", the P22 is the biggiest beast to reassemble.... I fully expect someone new at it to take a couple chunks of skin off their thumb and send the slide or guide rod flying at least once. The "trick" is to bunch the recoil spring over the guide rod, hold it there, push the guide rod through the bushing on teh slide, grab and hold from the other side, then fit the slide partially on the frame and hold it there, let the guide rod go, and wiggle it until it finds it's hole in the frame. My mood sinks every time I know I need to strip and clean it :banghead:

gvass
June 24, 2004, 09:51 AM
Mauser C96 first time...without any experienced help. :-(((((((

FPrice
June 24, 2004, 09:57 AM
"I just got a Colt Model 1903 Hammerless - I love the pistol, but the field strip would've taken me hours to figure out without help - what a cross-eyed crotch-kicking conundrum!!"

FWIW I found a copy of the disassembly instruction for this pistol on Sam Lisker's website

http://www.coltautos.com

and it made it a snap.

Paid off a few months later when I was able to show a gun store employee how to disassemble the 1903 they just took in and could not figure out how to break it down to clean it (and it NEEDED a good cleaning).

WhoKnowsWho
June 24, 2004, 10:29 AM
While my Kahr K40 was easy to figure out how... when it was new, trying to hold the slide back and getting that slide release pin to pop out... man, it hurt when it pinched my hand time and time again!

patentnonsense
June 24, 2004, 11:04 AM
The seller I bought mine from didn't know how to take it down, or I think the price might have been higher!

TechBrute
June 24, 2004, 11:12 AM
Ruger MKII is the hardest of the pistols I have. The 22/45 is a piece of cake compared to it.

RON in PA
June 24, 2004, 12:10 PM
You folks haven't lived until you've taken down an Astra 400, the 9mm Largo blowback.

R.H. Lee
June 24, 2004, 12:19 PM
BHP Practical. I need to replace springs, and still haven't figured out how to get the mainspring out. :confused:

mini14jac
June 24, 2004, 12:29 PM
I thought the Ruger MKII was the worst.
Then I got a Phoenix HP22. :eek:

That is one gun I won't take apart again unless I have to.

mfree
June 24, 2004, 01:47 PM
Another note.... the CZ52 is easy to take the slide off of, but it's the only gun I have that *requires* a tool to completely field strip. No way around it, you're going to need something beefy with a good handle.

Das Pferd
June 24, 2004, 06:36 PM
1903 - designed for a gentleman to carry. Probably figured this gentleman would never want nor need to disasemble their gun.

1911 - designed so a farm boy from Idaho could field strip it in a fox hole with minimal tools.

horge
June 24, 2004, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by ItGoesBoom
I have even heard a couple people complain about taking down a Bersa .380... :scrutiny:

Egads, IGB... who are those people?
A Bersa 380?
Opening a can of soup can take more time and effort.

:D

Dakotan
June 24, 2004, 07:37 PM
I have a matched pair of Smith & Wesson 422 Target Models (4.5 inch and 6 inch, both made in 1988) and dearly love them, but they're (one of) the most "interesting" pistols to tear down that I've encountered. There's simply no describing it in words. :banghead:
Those of you that own these great little guns know what I mean! :D

My $.02! - Dakotan

Cthulhu
June 25, 2004, 03:47 AM
Just going by guns customers bring in after failing to reassemble them properly (or disassemble them correctly to begin with), I would have to give first place to the Ruger MKII and 22/45. Ruger and S&W centerfire auto's are a close second. Colt/Browning Pocket Pistols (1900, 1903, 1908) bring up the rear. P22's are troublesome to people on their first attempt.

Easiest to strip? Sig P Series, followed by the Springfield XD. Some would scream Beretta 92, but I've seen too many people fumbling/stumbling/losing the locking wedge.

Ever see what happens when someone improperly reassembles a Ruger P Series by failing to push the slide stop fully in then poping the magazine in place, pushing up the ejector with the slide forward? No fun at all.

Toughest personally? First time reassembling a P08 Luger and C96 Mauser. Both of which I had to do with no manual/diagram. Didn't have the luxury of watching their overzealous owner take them apart either. They gave me a ziplock bag full of parts and a sheepish grin.
C96 is a beautiful piece of machinery, and a piece of cake to reassemble once you know how the parts mesh.

jeff-10
June 25, 2004, 05:16 AM
Ruger Mark II is a real pain for me also. Most modern service pistols are pretty easy.

Norton
June 25, 2004, 08:22 AM
Another vote for the Ruger Mk II......twist, turn upside down, check little pin inside, insert other pin, pray that holes are aligned, rotate one more time to get little pin to sit correctly......glad my USP is a whole lot easier!

Thrash1982
June 25, 2004, 08:31 AM
Ruger MK I & IIs are a pain in the butt. S&W 622 is kinda tricky and you need a little spacer tool to do it.

Ash
June 25, 2004, 08:49 AM
I can remove the barrel on a 52 from the slide with only my thumb. You just position it at the take-down notch on the bottom of the barrel (where the magazine floorplate would press, not the hole where a good phillips head does the trick). I push foreward and then lift the barrel/recoil spring out of the slide no problem. In fact, I can take down the 52 quicker than any other pistol I own (granted, I own a Ruger Mk II, a Witness, a CZ-75B and a CZ-40P).

Ash

mfree
June 25, 2004, 10:27 AM
Ash, your thumb must be a fair bit narrower than mine :)

45auto
June 25, 2004, 11:23 AM
The only good news about the Ruger 22 take down is you really don't have to do it very often.

I would bet the "average" Ruger 22 owner has never taken it apart or tried it once and never did it again. "Average" meaning doesn't read gun magazines, forums, etc...shoots once in awhile. :)

Ash
June 25, 2004, 11:24 AM
Actually, they're kinda big. As it goes, I press with the tip, allowing the fleshy portion to press just behind the slot and over the circular hole. As I press, I can feel the rollers disengage and then the entire assembly slides foreward around the barrel and then the barrel slides foreward until the rollers reach the removal notches.

Of course, the phillips head screwdriver on my Wenger Swiss Army Knife also works, especially if I'm sweaty.

Ash

BluesBear
June 25, 2004, 12:35 PM
Dang you guys are making me feel old.

I remember back when Browning's rotating barrel system was an everyday occurrence.

StopTheGrays
June 25, 2004, 02:31 PM
Another note.... the CZ52 is easy to take the slide off of, but it's the only gun I have that *requires* a tool to completely field strip. No way around it, you're going to need something beefy with a good handle.

I found a CZ52 mag works well to apply the right amount of pressure ease the barrel in and out when needed...that and a strong grip.

If you enjoyed reading about "Toughest take-down?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!