Steyr Stainless Guide Rod Project!

PDA

mattf7184
June 25, 2004, 06:15 PM
Finally a stainless guide rod is gunna be made for us Steyr Fanatics! 12 Volt Man (who makes many of the CZ guide rods I see in Stainless) is going to be making up a prototype hopefully and I will be testing it out!

Check out the topic here:
http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=260127

If you enjoyed reading about "Steyr Stainless Guide Rod Project!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mattf7184
June 25, 2004, 06:55 PM
Also, if anyone has a Steyr and a Glock, if you can post pictures comparing the guide rods.

Flashpoint
June 25, 2004, 10:25 PM
Count me in on one. How heavy of a spring does he put on them?

Flashpoint
June 25, 2004, 10:27 PM
Also you might want to post this one the Styer Club at GlockTalk.

mattf7184
June 26, 2004, 01:22 AM
I think he uses the stock spring. Already posted at steyr club @ glock talk.

Mr. Mysterious
June 26, 2004, 11:59 AM
What exactly would the benefit of this be for my M9?

mattf7184
June 26, 2004, 02:20 PM
Any flex caused by a plastic guide rod will be greatly reduce. More muzzle weight to keep muzzle flip even lower and more mass to gun so less recoil. Ability to change recoil springs once we get different spring rates made hopefully from Wolff. Looks better.

Id suggest the Steyr owners here sign up at Glock Talk and put in your 2 cents as we are trying to show these companies their is demand for aftermarket parts! I know many of you over here are Steyr fanatics and there is also a wealth of knowledge in the Steyr Club @ Glock Talk.

mattf7184
June 30, 2004, 01:52 AM
Prototype is done, hopefully it works, which I think it will :D :evil:

12 Volt Man
June 30, 2004, 02:48 AM
Here is a pic. Let's hope it ends up being right. It is off tomorrow to Matt for testing. I wish I had one of these guns and we would know already.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=1090562

dleong
June 30, 2004, 08:50 AM
12 Volt Man,

Nice job on the FLGR for the Steyr! I have a Steyr M40 that I love to shoot, except that the harsh recoil and disconcerting frame battering require me to "download" my regular 40S&W reloads specifically for it.

Your FLGR is definitely a step towards ameliorating this situation! The next question is, are there stronger aftermarket recoil springs that will fit and function in the Steyr M-series pistols? Wolff, for one, does not make recoil springs specifically for the Steyr. Perhaps an existing one intended for another pistol will work in the Steyr, like the CZ Compact springs in the CZ 100?

DL (just visiting from CZForum)

12 Volt Man
June 30, 2004, 10:07 AM
I don't know what springs if any are made specifically for this gun. The shaft diameter measurements I was given for the guide rod are only a few thousandths larger than the guide rod I make for the CZ97. This would lead me to believe that one could take a CZ75/97 18 or 20 pound wolff spring and take some coils off. That is where I would start.

RatFink
June 30, 2004, 12:32 PM
OK, I've been following this with interest, but I finally just looked at my guide rod on my S40 and I don't think it's plastic, I'm pretty sure it's metal.

So do others have plastic guide rods?

How will this deal with the way the sprig is captured on the guide rod, or are you just going to try it out with out the spring held in place since that really only seem to keep the spring and guide rod together when cleaning?

mattf7184
June 30, 2004, 05:13 PM
We are gunna run an uncaptured setup I believe. There are no other spring makers and Id have to ask Steyr for the spring rate on the M9, maybe I can pick up a CZ-97B spring to test out also. The stock guide rod is definately plastic.

RatFink
June 30, 2004, 06:20 PM
The stock guide rod is definately plastic.

Than maybe somebody else could check their S series, because I swear mine is metal. Tapping it on my tooth it feels like metal, and it attracts a magnet.

mattf7184
June 30, 2004, 09:34 PM
Maybe the S series are metal but the M's are definately plastic. Wonder why Steyr would give S a metal guide rod and not just make a longer one and stick it in the M, id think it would save some costs.

RatFink
June 30, 2004, 10:58 PM
Matt, I'm sure you noticed that I posted in the Steyr club asking about this, others have also said their S series GR is Metal... Kinda wierd.

mattf7184
July 3, 2004, 02:26 AM
Guide rod is in and fits and functions! See the glock talk post for more info, the picture doesnt do the machining and polishing of this guide rod justice, it is as shiny as chrome!

If you enjoyed reading about "Steyr Stainless Guide Rod Project!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!