Vulcan Arms... opinions?

PDA

Dionysusigma
June 25, 2004, 10:33 PM
Forgot how I came across this company's site, but it seems to me that Vulcan Arms makes EBRs only (and MAC variants too). The word "Tactical" and "Special Forces" comes up a lot :rolleyes: ... anybody have an opinion on them? Quality stuff? Or is it fancy-looking, over-priced crap for those (like me) that don't know any better? :o

http://www.vulcanarmament.com

If you enjoyed reading about "Vulcan Arms... opinions?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
nemesis
June 25, 2004, 10:44 PM
I believe that Vulcan Arms is the former "Hesse", who manufactured the worst AR's in the marketplace. I, respectfully, suggest you check further and firmly establish that his IS NOT the former Hesse Manufacturing before spending any of your hard earned dollars.

TechBrute
June 25, 2004, 10:52 PM
I'm curious which "Special Forces" use them. Mall Security's Alpha Squad?

Dionysusigma
June 25, 2004, 11:03 PM
Their grammar ain't so good either; their "About Us" section is a little disconcerting...
Vulcan, the God of Fire and Steel! For over a decade, the legendary gunmakers at Vulcan Armament have been producing exotic machineguns for our nations hero's! These rifles are now available in Civilian legal semi-autos with all the technology demanded by special operations and law enforcement pro's around the globe! Built to full Mil-Spec with chrome-lined barrels and hardcast receivers of aluminum or aircraft grade carbon fiber, they are the finest battle rifles ever made! Vulcan Armament is your source for American Made Galil® Style rifles, AK Variants, Semi-Auto Mac-10 Style rifles, the first 950rpm MP-5 style machine-guns and hundreds of Mil-Spec parts. Call today for a more comprehensive free catalog!

AR/M16® style rifles are available with your choice of hardened aluminum or carbon fiber/aramid composite! The composite, very similar to the material used in jet fighter aircraft is light and stronger than their aluminum counterparts! These guns are one of a select few that are in full compliance with today's Mil-specs for reliability and durability! Chrome lined bores and chambers provide mil-spec barrel life and corrosion resistance. All guns carry the full Vulcan warranty. The guns come with a choice of flat-top or standard carry handle upper receivers and over sixty combinations of handguards and accessories. All parts interchange with current milspec guns, excepting select fire as prohibited by law. Twist rate are 1:7 for 20 inch barrels and 1:9 for short barrels. Not shown is the V15-400 series with stainless 24" heavy barrels with a 1:8 twist for optimum accuracy! Available in .223, 9mm and new .22 long rifle versions!

Call for more info! Vulcan carries a full line of replacement parts for nearly every AR/M16 variant in existence today. Guns available in Black or Olive Drab finish with other choices on a case by case basis!
Overuse of the exclamation point kinda gets old, too. They sound desperate for someone to take them seriously... :uhoh:

And for their excuse of a warranty... :scrutiny:
Based on the Magnuson-Moss Warranty act, Vulcan Arms Inc. offers no warranty on its product line. Vulcan Arms Inc. is extremely concerned with its customers' satisfaction and stands behind its products. Vulcan Arms Inc. has in the past and will continue to offer service on its products for a period of one year from the date of purchase by the original purchaser for defects in materials and workmanship. Please retain your sales receipt for proof of purchase date.

Guess I answered my own question... :uhoh: :rolleyes:

Harry Tuttle
June 26, 2004, 12:12 AM
Gun foes target Inver Grove Heights manufacturer
Kevin Duchschere, Star Tribune
May 19, 2004

http://www.startribune.com/stories/462/4783859.html

One of the best reasons to bolster the federal ban on semiautomatic assault weapons, gun-control advocates say, is right in Inver Grove Heights.

That's the home of Vulcan Arms Inc., a gun manufacturer that has been in business for fewer than two years and that, according to an antigun group in Washington, D.C., sells a greater variety of "copycat assault weapons" than any other gunmaker in the country.

Robert Hesse, a Vulcan co-owner, calls his company's products firearms or battle rifles. He said he doesn't know whether Vulcan offers more kinds than other manufacturers, but said nothing the company sells is prohibited by law.

"They don't like the type of firearms that Vulcan Arms makes, that's their opinion," he said. "The First Amendment to the Constitution says they're entitled to voice their opinion, just like the Second Amendment says we're entitled to make and sell firearms."

JohnKSa
June 26, 2004, 01:33 AM
They're called Vulcan Arms now because too many people learned to avoid the Hesse name...

Nightcrawler
June 26, 2004, 01:47 AM
If you want an AR-15 clone with no warranty, I'm pretty sure you can build one from a kit for about what Hesse...excuse me, VULCAN, asks for theirs.

I dunno. I don't like to speak badly about gunmakers, but they have a horrible reputation and they don't offer a warranty on their products. Even Century Arms will fix guns that don't work....

roscoe
June 26, 2004, 01:53 AM
Their Special Forces guy needs some Visine:

http://www.vulcanarmament.com/cgistore/store.cgi?page=/new/catalog.html&setup=1&ida=86&idp=0&his=0&cart_id=2113647.3236

Alaskan Guide
December 4, 2009, 06:48 PM
STAY AWAY FROM VULCAN. I purchased 2 vs 50's both have been sent back. One I cant even shoot and the other only had 2 rounds through it and went back, the companies quality control and customer service is a NIGHTMARE if you can even get hold of more than an answering machine I have two new guns that wont even make good boat anchors and I spent thousands. What a mess. I am going to talk to my attorney. YOU CAN NOT BELIEVE THE MESS ALL BECAUSE THEY WON'T DO WHAT THEY SAY. There website is just a bunch of fancy talk for junk PLEASE BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Avtomat Kalashnikova
December 4, 2009, 06:52 PM
that's like asking opinions of sitting naked in a bucket full of razors, lol

atblis
December 4, 2009, 07:00 PM
So is Hesse/Vulcan connected to Extreme shock? They seem to have a common connection through Pyramont North America.

SSN Vet
December 4, 2009, 07:02 PM
so after this thread being dead for 5 years..... Vulcan/Hesse is still ripping people off?

that's sad to hear

Mainsail
December 4, 2009, 07:05 PM
I'm curious which "Special Forces" use them. Mall Security's Alpha Squad?

Shhhhhhhhh....

kwelz
December 4, 2009, 07:45 PM
Yes they suck, 30 seconds worth of searching on any gun board will show that they suck. I don't know how they stay in business but they have managed to. I guess by preying on the uninformed.

nwilliams
December 4, 2009, 08:42 PM
I made the mistake years ago of buying a V94.

First time I took it out I couldn't get through a whole mag without multiple ftf's and fte's. Also the fake silencer came loose after a week and it couldn't be tightened.

I called Vulcan and they were extremely rude on the phone, and told me to ship the gun back to them, so I did.

A month went by and no word about the gun, I finally was able to get someone on the phone after leaving many phone messages and sending many emails. They accused me of abusing the rifle, they said it was all banged up and appeared to have been handled to rough. I told them very angrily that it was in exactly the same shape it was when I got it, I took it out of the plastic case only when I took it out to shoot it a couple times. They didn't believe me but agreed to fix it.

Another month goes by and after many more calls and many more emails I finally find out that it's been shipped and it arrives a few days later. I take it out and low and behold nothing but ftf's and fte's, again I couldn't get through a whole mag without problems.

The next week I put it up for sale on Gunbroker for a couple hundred bucks and made it clear to the buyer that it was absolute junk. I think I ended up getting $300 for it.

I will never buy anything from Vulcan again. Horrible products and horrible customer service. How this company is even still in business is a mystery to me, there must be a lot of other suckers out there like me.

I should have done my research ahead of time. When I bought the V94 I was not a member of any gun forums and I didn't do any proper research before I ordered one. To this day it is still the biggest gun buying mistake I have ever made and it ended up costing me a lot of money.:fire:

Grassman
December 4, 2009, 10:14 PM
I might need to cancel my order....:banghead::banghead::banghead::what:

nalioth
December 4, 2009, 10:24 PM
so after this thread being dead for 5 years..... Vulcan/Hesse is still ripping people off?

that's sad to hear This is one zombie thread I'm glad to see resurrected.

The reason they stay in business, is that they spin off under new names and continue bilking the ignorant. . .

kwelz
December 4, 2009, 10:26 PM
For the love of whatever god or gods you worship do. Cancel your order and forget they even exist. This and every other board has arguments about Colt, RRA, Bushy, DPMS, etc. People will never agree on that. But ask ANY of those people about Heese/Vulcan/Blackthorne, and they will all tell you that they are **** and not worth the materials they are made out of.

Liberty1776
December 5, 2009, 12:25 AM
my only experience with them was when I went to buy one (50 BMG bolt action) and the shop told me not too, as they had been having so many problems with the ones they sold - quality issues - they were dropping the line and sending them all back to Hesse / Vulcan. :uhoh:

zombienerd
December 5, 2009, 03:05 AM
Yep, stay away from Vulcan...

If you want a MAC clone, check out MPA (Masterpiece Arms) I've heard very good things about this company, and almost picked up one of their MAC Carbines.

https://www.masterpiecearms.com/

PCFlorida
December 5, 2009, 09:48 AM
I don't have any personal experience with them, but search for them on AR15.com and you won't find any posts that have anything good to say about them.

armoredman
December 5, 2009, 10:32 AM
I hear they make over sized, highly expensive doorstops and plant stakes.

Quiet
December 5, 2009, 11:54 AM
Hesse changed their name Vulcan Arms which then changed their name to Blackthorne Products.

kwelz
December 5, 2009, 02:34 PM
They are changing their name again, I forget the new company though.

Browns Fan
December 5, 2009, 03:44 PM
Quote:
"I'm curious which "Special Forces" use them. Mall Security's Alpha Squad?"

If he told ya, he'd have to kill ya!:D

huskerfarmboy
January 18, 2010, 01:42 PM
Vulcan Arms now appears to be doing business as Blackthorne Products LLC. I say this because I emailed Blackthorne and received a reply from Vulcan Arms. Actually a non-reply, they wanted more personal info from me to reply to my question on their warranty policy.

Blackthorne has AR15 kits at cheap prices, but also a 3 day return policy. It is posted on the Blackthorne web site, but 3 days seemed very short, especially for a kit, which is why I asked.

Might want to check blogs on Blackthorne before ordering.

I have no experience with Vulcan or Blackthorne

gamike
January 18, 2010, 05:56 PM
I also was suckered into buying a v94 ...it was good looking but the ftf and fte were horrible so i sent it back . I got a note saying they had adjusted it and it ran great for them . I go to shoot it and its worse than before so its off again with a letter ripping them a new one after dealing with them on the phone .After I sent it off I called them and they said they wouldnt fix it cause it looks like it got ran over ,they said to file a claim with UPS after dealing with that mess i finnaly told them to ship it back.When i got it back there wasnt 1 scratch on the outside or inside of the box but the frame and front grip were crushed ....There is NO way that gun was damaged inside the box .i dont trust them ..BTW there is No way too send a gun through ups and it be covered by them unless its a steel or wooden crate .

Artiz
January 18, 2010, 06:23 PM
Vulcan, Hesse, Blackthorne, all the same utter sheit.

atblis
January 18, 2010, 07:11 PM
Wow, that's a new low even for them.

felixestrella
February 11, 2010, 01:31 AM
They *REALLY* suck, and they lie. Read more here (http://bananafufu.blogspot.com/2010/02/blackthorne-products-sucks-and-they-lie.html).....

ultradoc
July 7, 2010, 09:40 AM
Oh no folks. I just aquired a Vulcan V94 9mm. Now I am reading all of the bad posts about this company. I didn't have time to do any research on this weapon but it did come with a few goodies like a rail light,a laser,3 mags, a magpul and 200 rds. of ammo and a holo site.

Justin
July 7, 2010, 05:32 PM
They *REALLY* suck, and they lie. Read more here .....

Wow.

So Hesse makes a habit of dumpster diving for parts that the other makers wouldn't use. That's pretty incredible.

Sam1911
July 7, 2010, 07:11 PM
I had a beautiful Stg.58 (FAL) kit gun that had been built on a Vulcan receiver. It was always disappointingly unreliable and the sights had to be adjusted all the way to the left to still miss right! When I finally got around to stripping it down and checking everything, the front of the receiver wasn't milled square and the barrel sat canted quite a bit to one side. Stripped down, if you set the barreled action next to a straight edge, the whole thing looked BENT!

I finally sold it this year for the (considerable) value of the parts kit (thank you inflation!) and got my money back out of it.

Run away!

W.E.G.
July 7, 2010, 07:26 PM
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/humor/pythonrunaway.jpg

Sam1911
July 7, 2010, 07:52 PM
Yes, it truly was "the most foul, cruel, and bad-tempered gun manufacturer you ever set eyes on!" ;)

Nugilum
July 7, 2010, 09:06 PM
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii114/nugilum/Vulcan-HesseLower.jpg
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii114/nugilum/Vulcan.jpg

:uhoh: :eek: :cuss: :banghead: :uhoh: :eek: :fire: :scrutiny:

DougW
July 8, 2010, 12:21 AM
Here is another pic of the Hesse lower that Nugilum posted:

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p118/MDWINK/file008.jpg

'Nuff said!

Oh, by the way, I was shooting the rifle built on this reciever. The reciever broke on the second (#2) round fired. Brand new. Hesse's responce was for us to send in the whole rifle for them to evaluate. The reciever was bought stripped, so that is the way it should have been returned to Hesse. They abruptly stopped responding at that suggestion, so we were left with a real nice door stop. The reciever still exists, too.

Now, 'nuff said!

General Geoff
July 8, 2010, 05:33 AM
This thread was started SIX YEARS AGO.

How on EARTH is this outfit still in business?

Destructo6
July 8, 2010, 11:28 AM
This thread was started SIX YEARS AGO.

How on EARTH is this outfit still in business?
Periodic name changes keep folks guessing.

Hesse = Mess.

berettaprofessor
July 8, 2010, 02:23 PM
Periodic name changes keep folks guessing.

Hesse = Mess

They stay in business because, despite their internet reputation, the products are priced well and most of the time are pretty darned good. I took a chance recently and ordered a 22LR upper....got it two days after order, it's in perfect cosmetic condition, it's as accurate as my S&W MP15-22, and I'm betting it lasts longer because the extractor looks more substantial.

And no, I have no other connection with the company except as a recently satisfied customer.

atblis
July 9, 2010, 12:52 AM
They stay in business because, despite their internet reputation, the products are priced well and most of the time are pretty darned good
Where do you get the most of the time thing from?

berettaprofessor
July 10, 2010, 09:10 AM
Thought that "most of the time" was a conceivable stretch since despite the internet reputation they DO stay in business. And there are first-hand reports of the products that are positive as well as first-hand negative reports.

I wonder how many of the posters in this thread have actually purchased and had one of the products go bad versus are just repeating what they've read ...I counted 4 bad tales in 41 postings over 6 years (Doug W's and Nuglium's are the same receiver).

DougW
July 10, 2010, 11:07 AM
Hey, professor, Nuglium got the pic off previous posting over the past 6 or so years. I have both the pics (origional) as well as the reciever. You want more pics?

So, show me another manufacturer that has had even ONE failure similar to the two recievers shown in the pics. And, show me another manufacturer that has refused to even look at their broken products to make an evaluation of what happened. No, THEY choose not to. If you look closley to the text of my pic, you would note that I said it is "another" pic of the same reciever.

If you want to sing praise of Hesse/Vulcan, go for it.

Dionysusigma
July 10, 2010, 12:05 PM
I'm surprised this thread got dredged up, too. :uhoh:

atblis
July 10, 2010, 06:33 PM
I'm surprised this thread got dredged up, too.
It's even more amazing that it got dredged up because somebody seems to think that we've got it all wrong. Hesse/Vulcan/Blackthorne= quality products at reasonable price. Who knew?

I am actually amazed one of their contraptions hasn't blown up in somebody's face and killed them and they were sued into oblivion. Yes, their guns are that bad.

ultradoc
July 15, 2010, 02:01 PM
Saturday [10 July] I drove 45 minutes to a range to try the Vulcan V94 rifle. Had plenty of ammo,got my targets,assigned to a range,put my eyes and ears on,loaded a mag and got ready to shoot. BANG [good I thought to myself],BANG [nice],BANG [allright],Click [oh no]. Pulled the mag out,pulled the charging handle,round came out and got ready again. Click[not again]. Pulled the mag,pulled the charging handle,round came out. Click [this isn't fun anymore]. Same thing. Pulled the mag,charging handle, round came out. Maybe it's the mag I thought to myself. Tried two other mags and all I got was clicks. So after about 15 minutes [which was the shortest time I have ever spent at the range] I packed up and headed home somewhat discusted. Got it home and tore it down. I found the firing pin in the pistol grip. Humm. So my next delema was do I put it back together and make another trip to the range and take a chance that it is fixed or will it shoot another 3 rounds and then nada. I said the heck with it and called a buddy who recomended a good gunsmith. Took it to him Monday and after 3 shots the firing pin was back in the pistol grip. He did some looking and come to find out the firing pin retaining pin was snapped off. So he improvised and put a nail in to replace the retaining pin. Loaded up a mag with about 20 rds and hoped for the best. The first round went click but after that no problems. So he said that's the problem. You can either take it and maybe go to the local hardware store and get a piece that will fit or leave it with me. I decided to leave it [to give him some business and for being honest] and about 50 rds of 9 mm ammo. He called today and said it was ready. He blew through all the ammo I left without a problem. He said come down and get it anytime and shoot it. But with time not being on my side we agreed to meet half way. So I got it back just a few hours ago and will try to shoot it sometime within the next week or so.

TechBrute
July 16, 2010, 12:07 PM
I'm not all that experienced with the AR15 platform, but I can tell you that's the first time I've EVER heard of a problem with a firing pin retainer.

atblis
July 17, 2010, 06:42 PM
V94 is an HK platform sorta.

lonegunman
July 18, 2010, 02:28 AM
This company, whatever they change the name too is STILL Hesse. They are known industry wide for unsafe, low quality products, shoddy service, lousy warranty service and for being the ghetto of gunmakers. Think Bryco with no quality control.

A simple Google search should suffice. They actually made a 50 cal rifle that was banned from use at ALL Fifty cal shooters assoc. events. That should cover it for anyone thinking of wasting their hard earned bucks on Hesse/Vulcan/Blackthorne garbage.

If you enjoyed reading about "Vulcan Arms... opinions?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!