Low cost quality .45acp ammo?

PDA

FMarlon
June 26, 2004, 08:40 PM
What do all y'all 45ers shoot regularly?

I have tried a box of pretty much every ammo availible in my area and find it all runs well in my gun, and that the more pricey kinds(hydrashock, speer gold dots, etc) tend to spray powder.

I know the "find what shoots best technique, but find that the ball ammo is more accurate, recoils less and burns cleaner than the expensive stuff. Why should I pay more for an ammo that is dirty?

Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Low cost quality .45acp ammo?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jdkelly
June 26, 2004, 08:44 PM
FMarlon,

Start handloading and you can make your own dirty ammo at half the cost (or less).

Respectfully,

jdkelly

Doc
June 26, 2004, 08:52 PM
FM:
i buy in quantity from Natchez Shooters Supply in Chatanooga
www.natchezss.com
i call the 800 number, ask for Mark at ext 740 and get his
best price on ammo. i usually don't shoot magtech, but
i like the Sellier& Bellot...if you want american, usually there is a
good price on either the winchester white box, american eagle or
UMC

cracked butt
June 26, 2004, 08:57 PM
I just make my own-
200 gr SWC cast from wheel weights
5.5 gr w231
primer
used brass

other than my time and startup costs for equipment, costs me about $.04-.05 per round

When I don't have much time, I buy winchester whitebox ammo from walmart at $20/100.

M2 Carbine
June 26, 2004, 11:23 PM
Like cracked butt my standard practice load is a 200 grain SWC.
Except I have to load 230 grain round nose for my Thompson. It doesn't like SWC.

I use to cast almost everything I shot but now you can get good cast bullets at the gun shows for about $17 for 500. At that price it's hard to take the time to cast and size and lube your own bullets.

Then I'll take spells and load every chance I get and turn out thousands of rounds. A while back I loaded about 8 thousand rounds of 45 SWC and 3 or 4 thousand RN , all the brass I had.

Almost without fail over the years, my reloads are more accurate than store bought ammo.

Then I'll look for ammo bargains and stock up.

A couple weeks ago I shot a 45 EAA Witness that I had given to a friend. The ammo is the 200 gr SWC and the target is 8x11 inches at 50 yards.
This is how well the "cheap" home grown plinking ammo can preform. Not a round missed the target.

http://img44.photobucket.com/albums/v135/Bell406_206B/50_yard_witness.jpg

Kalos
June 27, 2004, 12:29 AM
Since, if I read your question right, you're asking about low-cost -factory- ammo, I'll recommend MFS. It's modern production from Hungary, brass cased and boxer primed (in case you want to take the advice of these other gents some time down the road ;)). I've run about 200 rounds or so of the 230 grain FMJ of it through my PM1-B, and haven't had a single hiccup. Cost is about $8/box from AIM surplus (the only place I know of to carry it), or about $90/case of 600.

DoubleAction
June 27, 2004, 01:01 AM
Check out the "Canned Heat" and "Shear Power Plus"; I've been using the georgia arms ammunition for 14 years in various handgun and rifle cartridges.
http://www.georgia-arms.com

wally
June 27, 2004, 09:44 AM
Have you tried the Russian Wolf ammo? I can find if for about $120 per case of 1000, sometimes a bit less. Except for my FEG SMC-380 and Kel-Tec P3AT which have extraction failures, all my other guns seem to like it.

Buy a box and give it a try, especailly if you aren't planning to reload.

Since I've been buying Wolf, I only reload to have lead bullets for shooting steel plate targets or to make revolver ammo.

--wally.

stans
June 27, 2004, 04:11 PM
Low cost quality

The words "low cost" and "quality" generally don't work well in the same sentence. The cheap ammo is cheap for a reason, it ain't of the highest quality. Yes, it will usually feed and go "bang", but my experience has been that it goes "bang, bang, booooom, bang , pop, bang." It is not always consistant and accuracy usually suffers.

My "low cost quality" ammo spews from my own reloading press. From the dealer's shelves it is either "low cost" or "quality", very rarely both from the same box.

Just my not so humble and oh so opinionated opinion.

shep854
June 27, 2004, 08:16 PM
After several hundred rounds, I have yet to have a problem with Wolf or Blazer.

blue86buick
June 27, 2004, 09:04 PM
As a fellow frugal 1911 shooter, I used to shoot Wolf .45 almost exclusively. Lately though, I've been shooting the new Blazer Brass .45, as it's only $2 more per box ($10 instead of $8), and I can reload the brass when I get a press. Neither ammo...wolf or blazer...has given me any problems, and both seem to be as assurate as I am.

wally
June 27, 2004, 09:42 PM
Where are you getting Blazer Brass for $2 more than Wolf or have you been paying too much for Wolf :)

Are you sure the Blazer Brass is reloadable and not Berdan primed? When I can find reloadable brass 45 for $8/box or less I jump all over it!

--wally.

Sean Smith
June 27, 2004, 09:43 PM
I'd say S&B.

George S.
June 27, 2004, 09:49 PM
If you can stand to go to a Wally World, the Winchester White Box Value-Paks of 100 rounds for just under $20 is always a good deal. I shoot a lot of it and keep the brass for reloading.

S&B is also very good target ammo and priced about the same as WWB when you get it online.

I also buy a lot of ammo online at www.outdoorsmarksman.com

I reload a lot of .45 and it cuts the costs by nearly half.

shep854
June 27, 2004, 10:06 PM
"If you can stand to go to a Wally World..." LOL!!

I prefer to go to a gun shop, even if it's a little more, to help them stay in business.

blue86buick
June 27, 2004, 11:19 PM
I prefer to go to a gun shop, even if it's a little more, to help them stay in business.
Amen! That must be why I pay too much for Wolf, as I get it from a local shop for $8.00 a box. Afterall, when they sell me a NIB Kimber for less than [not saying to be polite], I don't mind paying them a little more for ammo to feed it. :D

I CAN'T stand to shop at Wally World, so I buy the Blazer Brass at Gander Mountain for $10/50. I'd rather buy it at that local shop though. And yes, it is boxer primed.

Blueduck
June 27, 2004, 11:26 PM
Both my local gunshops in town have kindly offered to order me any pistol for full manfufacturers suggested retail (+ their shipping cost of course) or sell me any of the overpriced stuff on thier rack- even offering great trade in deals such as $120 for my mint 92FS in box with three hicaps.

In short---Value packs at Wal Mart for me :D

Ordered from Natchez and Pro-load before, good service and stuff, just after shipping Wally Worlds still the place to beat price wise (even if the atmosphere and clientel remind me of Fast Times at Ridgmont High meets the Rocky Horror Picture show at times...:rolleyes: )

Jim K
June 28, 2004, 01:36 AM
I have not tried the Hungarian ammo recommended by Kalos, but have used a lot of Hungarian "Lake City" which is a bit more expensive, running $95 for 500 at the gun shows. It is GI spec, and runs well in everything, including a TSMG. Never had a failure in several thousand rounds. That MFS sounds like a good deal also, and I will probably send off to Aim for some of it.

Jim

Kalos
June 28, 2004, 06:25 PM
Ah-hah! This Hungarian 'Lake City' you're talking about might explain a friend of mine's talk about having gotten Lake City .45. I'll have to look for it at the local shows, though they've been infrequent of late. As to the MFS, I can't vouch for anything outside of the basic 230 gr. ball--I've not tried any of the +P, match, or JHP offerings.

BamBam-31
June 28, 2004, 08:09 PM
All my .45's seem to really like WWB from Wallyworld. That it comes cheap is just a bonus.

Edmond
June 28, 2004, 11:28 PM
I've used UMC, WWB and Wolf through my G30. I've never had any problems with any of the ammo. The Wolf was the cheapest of the bunch and if you like to plink a lot, go with the Wolf. If you order in 1000 round quantities, it's still cheaper than WWB at the Wally World, even factoring in shipping. Of course, you have to factor in tax too with a local buy.

rbernie
June 28, 2004, 11:58 PM
When Natchez dropped the price of American Ammo 45ACP 230gr to $5.99 a box (in lots of ten or more), I had to try it. So far, it's been OK - no pops or BOOMs or egregious feed/extraction issues. I've had one (1) FTE in the last 800 rounds, and a handful of FTF. (It seems as if the AA rounds have a harder time turning the corner into the chamber than anything else I've tried - I suspect it's the irregular ogive of the cheezy copper-washed bullets that are causing this..)

I wouldn't use it for anything but range work, but for that it's a stone-cold steal.

shep854
June 29, 2004, 12:22 AM
At The Gun Cellar in Hoover (a Birmingham suburb), Wolf .45 is $6.90/box. They have Wolf 9mm for $5.90/box. When they have it, Blazer is in the smae range. It's hard to beat those prices.

corncob
June 29, 2004, 10:52 PM
I got a box of that "American" from the store when I bought my 1911--I found it to be crap. I can't believe they let that particular box out of the factory with their name on it.

On the other hand, Blazer Brass has worked well for me. I got a case from Natchez and have shot almost all of it with only one problem. It seems like the case mouth is a little more prominant than WWB (which I shot exclusively before, with no malfunctions) and one out of every 150 or so would catch on the left side of the barrel--just above the throated part--on chambering. Since I used a coarse stone and superfine auto body paper to break the hard corner (thanks for taking the time, Kimber) I haven't had a SINGLE problem.

I know it doesn't sound like a ringing endorsement, but it is.

jeff-10
June 29, 2004, 10:59 PM
I pick up 250 round value packs of 230 gr UMC from Bass Pro Shops near my house for $60. Its not as cheap as reloads, remanufactured, Wolf, S&B etc, but it is quality ammo I am getting. At $12 a box it isn't a bad price for ammo of that quality.

000Buck
June 30, 2004, 09:57 AM
Fiocchi is GREAT ammo and is $8/50 if you buy a case. It is slightly hotter than WWB and most others.

If you enjoyed reading about "Low cost quality .45acp ammo?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!