Best non-Glock?

PDA

Dionysusigma
June 26, 2004, 11:32 PM
Everytime I see Glocks--whether they're mentioned in a thread here on THR, in a videogame, at the gunstore, wherever--my mind says "I want one of these!" My hands beg to differ. I hate the Glock grip; unnatural wouldn't begin to describe it. It's not something that one of those (Pachmeyer/Hogue?) giant rubber band thingies would correct for me.

So what I was wondering is, what's the closest thing to a Glock that... well, isn't one? Various other auto pistols my hand likes include:

Springfield XD (NOT the subcompact)
FN Forty-Nine
1911 (single and double-stack)
Beretta 92FS
IMI SP-21

... but others that might be closer to the Glock design also include the Steyr M9, Smith & Wesson Sigma, and the Walther P99.

What, do y'all think, feel good in the grip but are equally reliable/not much less so than the Glock?

If you enjoyed reading about "Best non-Glock?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
boofus
June 26, 2004, 11:38 PM
Closest in the reliability department is probably Sig or H&K. The HK USPs use polygonal rifling like Glocks do, and have polymer frames too. The Sigmas might look and feel like Glocks but there are too many horror stories about poor reliability.

7.62FullMetalJacket
June 26, 2004, 11:41 PM
Get the Glock. You will adapt. Resistance is futile.

JohnKSa
June 26, 2004, 11:57 PM
Ruger makes some decent polymer autopistols.

modifiedbrowning
June 26, 2004, 11:59 PM
Check out the Walther P99. Excellent firearm, I have three and they are all boringly reliable. The grip fits me much better than the Glock, the Glock feels like a 2X4 in my hand.

Zak Smith
June 27, 2004, 12:02 AM
After going through HK USP's, P7's, Glocks, CZ's, BHP's, revolvers, and 1911's, I keep coming back to the 1911 platform for two main reasons: trigger quality is unmatched, and they absorb recoil better than anything else.

My favorite three pistols for carry are: 1911 (Commander), Browning Hi-Power, and the HK P7.

CZ's are a great value at sub-$400, but otherwise pale in comparison to a good 1911 or BHP, which admittedly will be about 2x the price. (I bought 4 CZ's in my "CZ phase".)

I suggest you find a good comfortable and reliable specimen of a 1911 and give it a try. My Dan Wesson Patriot has been a workhorse, shooting IPSC and 3Gun for the last year - over 10k rounds through it.

-z

telcom911
June 27, 2004, 12:47 AM
I have found it to be everything the Glock is X2.

That is if you are set on plastic. If you want a real gun get a 1911. Do not believe all the crap about them being unreliable. Browning built the first one in 1898, and had it perfected by the time of the army trials. The fact that the basic final design is nearly a century old should speak for itself. If it was as bad as everyone says, why would it still be around, much less the premire platform that it is.

nero45acp
June 27, 2004, 12:56 AM
Steyr M9.

Superior ergonomics, reliable, accurate, and has a lower bore axis than a Glock. Can be had at prices considerably lower than a Glock. If the Steyr M9 had been introduced in the mid-eighties everyone would be saying "what's a Glock?"

www.steyr-mannlicher.com

nero

9mmepiphany
June 27, 2004, 01:16 AM
i'm thinking the XD is a product inproved glock, so that might be the closest in operation.

if the beretta 92/96 fits your hand...mine has been the most reliable (never a FTF or FTE in k's of rounds) full sized pistol i have ever carried...much better than the glock 17/22, sig 226 or 1911

as to "feel" and accuracy i prefer the hk p7, but judging from you "comfortable" list of guns i'm think it might be too small for your hands. the walther p99 would give you the option of tailoring the gripframe to your preference,but it's trigger takes some getting used to.

Marshall
June 27, 2004, 01:25 AM
Without a doubt, the .40 S&W XD-40 with Heinie Tritium Slant Pro's!

http://www.springfield-armory.com/images/xd-pistol/XD9502Large.jpg

Nightcrawler
June 27, 2004, 02:23 AM
Get the Glock. You will adapt. Resistance is futile.

I was once told that if a Glock 21 doesn't fit my hand, then I'm holding it wrong.

Years later, I own two .45 Automatics.

Neither of them are Glocks. :neener:

The Springfield XD has a nice grip shape, I think, and has gotten rave reviews. The Steyr M series has some real fans on the forum as well.

Flashpoint
June 27, 2004, 03:02 AM
I have not found anything that points as natural and feels as good in my hand as a Steyr.

Flashpoint
June 27, 2004, 03:05 AM
I have not found anything that points as natural and feels as good in my hand as a Steyr.

I take it you have not picked a Steyr up, otherwise you wouldn't be asking this question :evil:

Badger Arms
June 27, 2004, 04:12 AM
The concensus among most in the gun industry is that the Springfield XD is a revolutionary gun. Play with one, dry fire it, take the slide off and look at it, I'm sure you will love it. Don't settle for the 20-year-old design of the Glock, get an XD.

azrael
June 27, 2004, 11:20 AM
Badger thou art WISEEEEEEE!!!!

Go with the Springy XD

4v50 Gary
June 27, 2004, 11:32 AM
If I had to have a polymer frame 40 S&W, it'd be the Springfield. Mo' beddah stuph dan da Glock. Ahem, it benefits for engineered refinements.

Tamara
June 27, 2004, 11:35 AM
If I had to buy a polymer, striker-fired double-stack, it'd say "Walther" on the slide.

Badger Arms, I'm curious what you find revolutionary about the Hrvatzki Samokres? I mean, it's a single-action, striker-fired, modified-Browning pistol, a type that is common as dirt these days, it seems. I do like the very BHP/CZ75-like contour of the grip, though.

Badger Arms
June 27, 2004, 12:08 PM
Badger Arms, I'm curious what you find revolutionary about the Hrvatzki Samokres? First of all, it is the cheapest gun of its sort on the market. Looking at the quality of workmanship, fit, finish, materials, etc, this gun is built as good or better than a Sig though. It includes such lawyer-friendly items as ANOTHER safety (grip), loaded chamber indicator, cocked striker indicator, trigger safety, and firing pin block safety. Yet all of these features are 100% unobtrusive. You can still grab the gun like a revolver and pull the trigger.

Oh, and the trigger isn't mushy, it's crisp. It's the best trigger on the market, IMNTBHO. Have you ever pulled the trigger on a factory Glock and liked it? I'm sorry, the P99 didn't quite measure up. Steel ambidexterous magazine release for switch shooters like myself. Oh, and that assembly is steel as well. Dual captive recoil spring assembly that protects the muzzle. Then we have REAL Sights, not some gimicky 'new and improved' system.

Package all of this in a no-nonsense frame that is small enough for even my 11-year-old's hands and feels perfectly contoured. No cheesy plastic inserts needed, this gun feels right to most people who pick it up.

The revolution is in the the whole package. Getting all of this in one inexpensive package counts for everything.

Grunt
June 27, 2004, 12:16 PM
HK USP compact and the XD-40.

Sactown
June 27, 2004, 12:58 PM
I have a Glock G34 and XD9 Tactical. For me, the XD9 is much better. Better grip angle and better trigger. I have had a few FTFs with the glock in the first 20rnds, but nothing since. The XD9 has had no problems, but I'm still breaking it in. I also have a HK USP40F as well as a Kimber Polymer. Out of all 4, the Kimber has the best trigger and ergonomics.

4thHorseman
June 27, 2004, 01:13 PM
I'm with Grunt. The H&K USPc feels similiar to a 1911 and has extreme reliability to match. It's built like a brick out house. I have a Sig, and it doesn't feel quite right to me.

Frenchy
June 28, 2004, 12:30 AM
If you can't find the original HS...Go with the XD!! :cool:

vwfool
June 28, 2004, 12:47 AM
Glock=:barf:

If you can't stand to hold it, you sure as hell won't like to shoot it.

I haven't messed with the XD much, but they seem to have a BIGGGG following.

Of course, you can't hardly go wrong with a good 1911, Taurus PT92, or Berreta 92.

Longbow
June 28, 2004, 01:16 AM
Ruger P series auto's! ' best kept secret in reliable and affordable semi auto handguns. :)
Otherwise, my vote goes to XD Tactical or H&K USP, depending on your budget.

Nick_90
June 28, 2004, 07:51 AM
I have the same problem as you... Glocks just don't seem to fit my hand. I bought a Sig Pro and a Steyr M9 (both made partially out of polymer) and they are much better. I have a slight preference for the Sig, I find its trigger smoother, but It's only my subjective opinion. Try them both and I am sure you will find one you like...

Black Snowman
June 28, 2004, 11:20 AM
Lots of good suggetsions, I'll add on that's been left off. The much overlooked CZ 100. If you can find someplace that stocks one. Not a real popular gun. I hear the triggers can use some work. Good news? If you like CZ ergos it's pretty close and they can be had cheap new and used.

From what I understand they're a solid performer but I've never had a chance to shoot one myself. The europeans like them enough that they now have a CZ 110 SA/DA instead of just the DAO. Unfortunately they aren't imported into the US :( I prefer a SA or SA/DA gun.

bradvanhorn
June 28, 2004, 11:34 AM
In my opinion, the Springfield XD is the closest gun to being a Glock, but which (thankfully) isn't a Glock. I really like my XD's a lot, and I have a constant struggle to decide whether I want to shoot my XD's or my CZ's.

The XD is awesome, no doubt, but I have two problems with mine. First, the slide rarely locks back on an empty mag. I really hate it when I pull the trigger and hear "click" instead of "bang". Second, the trigger is a huge improvement over the Glock, but it still has a lot of travel to it, and the reset is also fairly long.

I hear the [CZ100] triggers can use some work.
Understatement of the year candidate here... The CZ100 trigger is by far the worst I've ever tried.

Berg01
June 28, 2004, 12:35 PM
The XD9 or 40 Tactical is worth looking at

jdmb03
June 28, 2004, 07:52 PM
Glocks are crap in my opinion.

Sig has the best quality and is worth every penny.

Frenchy
June 28, 2004, 08:00 PM
Sig has the best quality and is worth every penny.

In your opinion? :D

jdmb03
June 28, 2004, 08:02 PM
Correct. :)

phantom309
June 28, 2004, 10:13 PM
The XD is a great value but I think the p99 is better in almost every way. Crisp SA trigger, more accurate, better ergonomics, much better finish and build quality. Mine was flawlessly reliable also.

valor1
June 29, 2004, 12:15 AM
i like the Walther P99. it's like an improvement over the glock (second strike capability, steel magazines, better ergonomics, etc.)

Dienekes
June 29, 2004, 02:20 AM
Bought a Ruger P97 when the rebate program was on; they were the first P-series (.45) that actually fit my hand. The DA and SA are very serviceable, and I shoot it surprisingly well. It's a little short on looks, but as long as I focus on the front sight the performance makes up for that.

The new P345 might also be a sleeper.

There aren't many bargains in this world but these might just qualify. I've had a lot of other candidates and an embarassingly large number have been a lot worse than this volksgun.

If you enjoyed reading about "Best non-Glock?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!