Advice on Getting a Gunsafe up a Flight of Stairs??

PDA

Omaha-BeenGlockin
February 13, 2003, 11:45 AM
Got a new gunsafe in the 600lb range----everything went well untill the stairs.

I live in an apt on the 2nd level---8 to 10 lousy steps-----but this monster is clearly beyond the capabilities of my buddy and me and a 2-wheeler.

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this thing is heavy!!!

Its now sitting in my mom's garage----ggggggggrrrrrrrrrrr. Make that GGGGGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!

Short of hiring a couple gorillas---is there a better way to get this thing in there?? The stairwell is big enough---it's just the weight and bulkiness of the thing. As you can tell---I'm not a professional mover.

Would prefer not to hire someone I don't know---our business had a similar small move a couple years ago----the following weekend after the move the place was broken into and cash box was taken---nothing proven----but very fishy---don't you think?? They knew exactly where to go.

So besides Gorrilas Are Us-----any ideas???

Thanks

OBG

If you enjoyed reading about "Advice on Getting a Gunsafe up a Flight of Stairs??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MrAcheson
February 13, 2003, 11:49 AM
They make special hand carts for moving heavy objects like refridgerators. Try to go rent one of them. Otherwise hire some gorillas ^H^H^H^H movers.:D

Jack19
February 13, 2003, 11:59 AM
Will your upstairs floor bear the weight?

Greg L
February 13, 2003, 12:02 PM
Appliance two wheeler and a bunch of friends. Pizza and beer works well as bribes to get them there.

Greg

Sleeping Dog
February 13, 2003, 12:04 PM
Gorillas, absolutely. If that thing slips ...

You should be able to find out if the Gorillas are bonded, any Better Business Bureau complaints. If not bonded, check references.

Once the safe is bolted to the floor and filled with guns, it's pretty secure. To steal it, the gorillas would have to hire mo' bigger gorillas.

Regards.

Fed168
February 13, 2003, 12:11 PM
Jack has a good point. You don't want to wake up to your safe visiting the downstairs neighbors. I had this problem when I first got mine, upper level apartment. Got a heavy duty hand cart and moved it with friends. Ugh.

Your best bet maybe to leave it where it is at, and get a smaller one for your apartment, if it is possible.

Omaha-BeenGlockin
February 13, 2003, 12:46 PM
Thinking it should hold the weight-----fairly new apt building------or should I put it on boards or something to spread the weight???---Just in case.

El Tejon
February 13, 2003, 12:51 PM
OBG, when I had a third floor apartment here, MPFreeman and I moved a 550 pounder up the outside stairs with an "appliance mover" two-wheeler. One step at a time, one to push, one to pull. Rest on the landings. :)

gwalchmai
February 13, 2003, 01:05 PM
Dang! What if you're under that thing and it falls on you? I'd try to rig some kind of block & tackle and pull it up.

kalibear45
February 13, 2003, 01:10 PM
Sounds like a hernia waiting to happen :D

I would hire professionals...

RCL
February 13, 2003, 01:11 PM
OBG,
First thing, try to get the door off and see if you can get the safe body up the stairs with out it. Did that with mine, the door weighed almost as much as the body.

Parke1
February 13, 2003, 01:30 PM
I used to work as a furniture mover, and my boss and I used to move entertainment centers that weighed sever hundred pounds, and we onced moved a gun safe in the same weight range for one of our regular customers.

We used our appliance dolly, since it has wheels on the back of it to aid in sliding up stairs. Strapped it to the dolly, and had one guy (me) pulling the dolly up the stairs, and two guys pushing from below. Slow, hard work, but it's definitely doable. Our only problem was when we had to turn a corner on the landing of the stairs... Tricky, but we got it with only a couple bruised knuckles. Only after we finished the move did the guy crack open the safe and realize that he had accidentally left four 440-round crates of 7.62x54 in there! :banghead:

Good luck, and be careful of your back. Throwing your back out when you're dragging a 600 pound safe up a flight of stairs spell disaster.

-Parke1

Fed168
February 13, 2003, 01:34 PM
I have left mine on the pallet it came on to help disperse the weight.

Blackhawk
February 13, 2003, 01:35 PM
OBG,

Those appliance hand trucks have tank track like belts on the back of the rails so they let you push the safe up the stairs. The stairs support most of the weight, so it's not too hard. They're almost always used to manipulate refrigerators.

If you can't rent one from a rental outfit, I'll bet you can from a "Cheapo Movers" company or U-Haul, etc.

El Tejon
February 13, 2003, 01:36 PM
Blackhawk, yes, exactly, thanks for clarifying that.

Sleeping Dog
February 13, 2003, 02:49 PM
As far as the floor holding the weight ...

Can four "healthy" gentlemen stand in the same area as the base of the safe? Probably. That would be 800 pounds (more or less). How much will the loaded safe weigh?

If you can put it close to a "bearing" wall, that will help it stay stable.

RCL had a great idea, if that door can come off. Split the weight, and make sure you don't have a thousand rounds of ammo in there :). Parke1, that was a funny story. Probably funnier now than it was at the time.

Regards.

Diesle
February 13, 2003, 02:52 PM
Hire someone to do it for you.

Diesle

anchored
February 13, 2003, 02:58 PM
Pizza and beer is the answer, get enough friends behind it, and go slow. You might consider skids instead of wheels - get a couple 2X6's and make a custom-fit sled for it, and slide it up. a block and tackle or comealong attached to a 4X4 across a doorway at the top would help

ddc
February 13, 2003, 03:22 PM
I just did this about 6 months ago with a safe about the size of yours.

I rented a "stair climbing hand truck".

It is basically a large, heavy duty hand truck with an extra set of wheels that are on a track that moves vertically up and down the back of the hand truck. They also move horizontally, i.e. closer to or farther from the stairs. There were push buttons on the handle to control movement.

I thought it was going to be a bitch but with the stair climber and a couple of friends it was a piece of cake to move the safe.

4v50 Gary
February 13, 2003, 03:36 PM
While having the proper hand trucks helps, what price for your back? I've gotten to the point that I would pay someone and let them suffer the health problems.

ddc
February 13, 2003, 05:09 PM
I left out an important part of the description on the "stair climbing hand truck".

It is a powered hand truck. The movement of the auxilliary wheels is powered. There is a large battery that is part of the package along with the requisite gears/chain/etc.

The drill was as follows:
1. Back handtruck with safe up to the stairs.
2. Push button to move the aux-wheels about 3/4 of the way up the truck; about 3 or 4 stairs.
3. Push other button to move aux-wheels into the back corner of the stair.
4. Push button to move the aux-wheels down the truck; therebye raising the safe up about 3 stairs.
5. Manipulate buttons so that main wheels are located on their new stair.
6. Repeat steps 1 through 5 until at top of stairs.

My main concern during all of this was balance; it turned out to not be a problem.

Granted if we had lost control of the safe the consequences could have ranged from hilarious to catastrophic.

I was already to hire the complany I bought the safe from to move it until they quoted my a totally outrageous price.

It really was a piece of cake; I could probably have moved the safe all by myself with the powered hand truck although I would never consider doing that; having a couple of friends just made it that much easier.

One other thing to consider is my safe only weighed 555 pounds. The hand-truck was rated to 650 pounds. If I had a top of the line 1000+ pound safe I would have hired somebody to move it regardless of cost.

Monkeyleg
February 13, 2003, 05:21 PM
I had the same question a month or so ago. In the end, I hired professional movers, and they had a heck of a time. At one point it looked like they were going to lose it and crush the guys at the bottom.

If that had been "friends," there's the possibility that I could have wound up with a lawsuit if one had been injured.

It was $250 to move it from one house to mine, and then up the stairs. More expensive than pizza and beer, but far less than the cost of a crippled friend.

redneck2
February 13, 2003, 05:30 PM
is the largest safe dealer in Indiana

see above post about the powered hand truck. We own one. We take 2 guys, but one guy could put a safe just about anywhere. Our showroom is upstairs so we have lots of practice.

ain't real fun when a safe gets away from you on the steps. Been there-done that. 600# careening down steps gets interesting in a hurry

if you're still set on the manual mode (bad idea IMO), get 5 (not 3 or 4) big guys.....put two at the top with ropes WELL tied to the safe and 3 guys under and slide it up. Ends up being 125# per guy, but actually less due to the angle. IIRC the tanget of 45 degrees is .707, so it'd be 88.375# each. Problem is when it gets to the top and you're trying to still slide it up but there aren't any steps to slide it on. If it's well wrapped, you can lay it down if you have room.

Kahr carrier
February 13, 2003, 05:32 PM
Yep I would go with hire the movers or My friend had a similar situation called about 4 strong friends and carried it up the stairs .it was heavy but we made it. and having a refrigerator dolly sure helped to manipulate it around )

Omaha-BeenGlockin
February 13, 2003, 06:11 PM
Will the stair climber hurt the carpet?? They just put in new carpet about a month ago on all the public areas---entryway---stairs---hallways. Don't want to be having to pay for that either---lol.

spacemanspiff
February 13, 2003, 06:49 PM
but sleeping dog, if 4 "healthy" individuals can stand in one place and not fall through, what of those four PLUS the safe? maybe you'd have to only entertain one guest at a time when showing off your guns? :D

beckrodgers
February 13, 2003, 06:53 PM
When they moved my safe, they used a walking or motorized stair climbing 2 wheeler. I was told they cost around $3000. I have never seen one for rent. The company that I bought my safe from included moving the safe in the price. The name of the company that moved the safe is Town & Country Locksmiths and Safes on Broad St. or Ave. in Memphis, TN. My safe weighs (empty) 1000 pounds. Got it from Heritage. It is absolutely the best money I have ever spent.

ddc
February 13, 2003, 07:29 PM
OBG,

With respect to the damaging the carpet....

The carpet in my apartment was a very light beige and showed dirt easily; stained easily, etc.

When we moved the safe each of the wheels (rubberized) left a light but still noticeable "dark trail" as they rolled up the stairs.

It took a little bit of work with carpet cleaner to clean things up but there was nothing permanent.

If I had it to do over again I would aggressively clean each of the wheels and remove as much old rubber debris as possible prior to transporting the safe.

one-shot-one
February 13, 2003, 07:48 PM
:p did this in a house about 5years ago, like has already been stated i took the door off, had set up a come-along at the top of the stairs but i had two big guy's helping me (all three of us over 200 lBS. each) decided we could just carry it up. one on the top and two on the bottom for the box and just two of us on the door.
the floor in 1968 two story house has held fine for 5 yr. now and the safe is crammed full.:D

Kingcreek
February 13, 2003, 07:55 PM
They make special people for moving safes. Find them and pay them and be kind to yourself.
Strong like bull- smart like fence post.

Citadel99
February 13, 2003, 08:34 PM
If you can get the right equipment then put some sort of sheeting over the carpets. Get it from your local moving company or U-Haul.

Mark

redneck
February 13, 2003, 10:55 PM
Thanks kingcreek
"strong like bull-smart like fence post" :mad:

all this time I was thinkin "Me an Pa has moved stuff thet big an didn't even use a dadburn dolly" :neener:

Vorpal
February 13, 2003, 11:14 PM
Simple,find a dealer of gunsafes in your
area and pay 'em, I did. It was a while back
now the cost could be around $150.00 to $200.00
worth every penny;)
Larry

Kahr carrier
February 14, 2003, 07:09 AM
Heres an idea for moving the gunsafe around without damaging your carpet try using GOLF BALLS I saw a safe mover manipulate a safe around a carpeted room amazingly easy using a Bunch of old Golf Balls with no damage to the carpet.:)

ScottsGT
February 14, 2003, 08:33 AM
Simple.........

Move.:D Get a 1st floor apt.

Beav
February 14, 2003, 05:54 PM
Used to work at a warehouse and did appliance deliveries, I suggest hiring help. One slip up at that weight ...*shakes head*

Good luck!

If you enjoyed reading about "Advice on Getting a Gunsafe up a Flight of Stairs??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!