Handgun laws

PDA

Daemon688
June 28, 2004, 02:22 AM
I know this may be a stupid question however I need to know. So here is the story....

About 6 months ago I wanted to purchase an Ak-47 but before I could, the FFL holder told me that I would have to apply for a license to purchase handguns. I asked him why that was so and he informed me that it was because the AK is an assault rifle. Even though that made no sense to me

I did was he asked of me and went to my local police station to fill out all the forms. I asked the lady behind the desk if it was illegal for me to purchase handguns and she basically replied with "not that I know of". So four weeks later the sheriff called me up saying that I had been approved for my license and I could come down and pick it up. They took my picture, signed the license, and was on my merry way.

So now that I have my AK and this license that allows me to acquire handguns from FFL holders signed by the sheriff and me. I know that federal laws state that to purchase a handgun you need to be 21, but since I have this license does that still mean I can purchase one? I have my heart set on a Sig P226 but am scared that if I attempt to purchase one the Feds would come knocking on my door and haul me off to jail or atleast to court. :uhoh:

Does anyone know if there are any exemptions for people under the age of 21 to purchase handguns? What are the penalties for breaking such laws? Should I wait till I'm 21 to buy my gun or should I try for it now?

By the way I turned 18 a little over 6 months ago.

If you enjoyed reading about "Handgun laws" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
who me
June 28, 2004, 04:02 AM
You have to be 21 to purchase handguns. 18 to purchase rifles and shotguns or any other long gun. Someone else will be able to correct me if I'm wrong.

Majic
June 28, 2004, 06:05 AM
You have to be 21 to purchase the handgun.
If you try to purchase one now and sign the form 4473 you would have then just commited a felony.

Henry Bowman
June 29, 2004, 05:38 PM
Correction: You have to be 21 to purchase a handgun from a FFL. Unless your state otherwise prohibits it (which is quite possible), it is OK by federal law for a 18-20 year old to purchase a handgun via private sale.

If you enjoyed reading about "Handgun laws" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!