New 1911 Safety in this months "American Rifleman"

PDA

BigBlueEyedDevil
June 28, 2004, 11:39 AM
There was an article for the safety for a 1911 that will allow you to carry with the hammer down, but as soon as you flick the safety off, it springs the hammer back and you are ready to fire. How do you guys feel about this?

If you enjoyed reading about "New 1911 Safety in this months "American Rifleman"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mfree
June 28, 2004, 12:11 PM
Isn't that a feature of the Daewoo DP-51?

Zak Smith
June 28, 2004, 12:54 PM
This sounds like the SFS on BHP's. A waste, IMO.

-z

Ktulu
June 28, 2004, 01:02 PM
Sounds like a solution to a non-existent problem.

mhdishere
June 28, 2004, 01:42 PM
About the only purpose I could think of for it would be in places where you can carry openly, no one would come up to you and whisper "Do you know your gun is cocked?"

krept
June 28, 2004, 02:18 PM
I thought that one reason that 1911s were carried uncocked was because crud could easily get get into the area that is exposed by a cocked hammer, thus increasing the chances for a malfunction?

Now I think it would be cool if someone made a light, dead-man style thumb safety that when depressed, would lower the hammer like a decocker. When pressed with minimal force, it would cock the hammer.

R.H. Lee
June 28, 2004, 02:21 PM
Get a Glock and you won't have thumb safeties to worry about :neener:

Dbl0Kevin
June 28, 2004, 02:32 PM
I've never had a problem carrying a cocked and locked 1911. If you're worried about getting gunk in under the hammer then use a holster that has a thumb break strap going between the hammer and the slide.

molonlabe
June 28, 2004, 02:50 PM
This echos my thoughts about the 1911.
http://home.sprynet.com/~frfrog/jmb.htm

Bart Noir
June 28, 2004, 02:52 PM
They put it on a version of the High Power. Cylinder and Slide Shop sells kits for 1911's and High Powers. Daewoo uses it, and I don't know if they paid for the design. The Daewoo guns are different in that they also have a normal double action mode. I've fired one and it works. But is seems complicated for GI types. I also wonder about how strong and reliable it is.

Bart Noir
Won't bother with it.

c_yeager
June 28, 2004, 05:27 PM
If you dont want to carry C&L wouldnt it just be easier to get a double action? I think a few companies make DA/SA 1911 type guns. Seems like one more thing to break to me.

Smoke
June 28, 2004, 06:09 PM

Amen.

Want to carry with the hammer down? Carry a Para LDA.

Smoke

Black Majik
June 28, 2004, 06:30 PM
Heh... $10 says whatever company adopts this "feature" will have a recall list shortly following.

I'm definitely not interested. I'll stay with cocked and locked. :)

stans
June 28, 2004, 07:36 PM
Yeah, I read the article, interesting. I think the price was $170 for blue, $180 for stainless. Now, I'm thinking if I go out and buy a Springfield, Kimber or Colt compact 1911, then add this kit, I could have bought a Para LDA which is even simpler to use. Personally, I'll just stick with my S&W 640-1.

Standing Wolf
June 28, 2004, 08:16 PM

The firearms industry is fraught with such solutions. There are thousands upon thousands of needless tweaks for every actual invention.

Majic
June 29, 2004, 12:32 AM
The manufactors are determined to take a simple reliable design and make it as complicated as humanly possible.

Mil Novecientos Once
June 29, 2004, 11:23 AM
If someone is afraid of carrying a 1911 Cocked & Locked s/he should start looking for another gun.

Para's LDA models are the "solution to a non-existent problem."

Andrew Wyatt
June 29, 2004, 12:07 PM
the SFS and para LDA systems do have one advantage. they're shorter. the difference in length between a cocked hammer 1911 and a hammer down 1911 is significant, if you're talking about one of those micro 1911s.

Roadkill Coyote
June 29, 2004, 04:27 PM
The LDA addresses at least one very specific problem. Agencies like mine, which do not allow single action duty weapons. Considering that back when I ordered mine, not too long after they became available, there was a four month month wait to get a LE model from the factory, I think that this problem isn't particularly rare either.

c_yeager
June 30, 2004, 12:45 PM

It's a nice solution for someone that doesnt want to hassle with having to have an "on-off" switch on their defensive firearms.

halvey
June 30, 2004, 12:52 PM
Don't we already have the Para LDA system that supposedly solves the C&L problem?

Whatever to sell more guns I guess.:rolleyes:

If you enjoyed reading about "New 1911 Safety in this months "American Rifleman"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!