Starter Red Dot

PDA

Bravo11
June 28, 2004, 02:37 PM
Any suggestions for a starter red dot on a 1911?
I'll probably go with the Leupold Quik Install(grip) mounts for now.
Not going to be used for competition.
Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Starter Red Dot" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
gbran
June 28, 2004, 08:17 PM
http://www.eabco.com/jpoint01.html

Go to this address. This is a small heads up red dot. I've got 3. I had one dovetail mounted on a 1911, the others on weaver rails. I've even used one on a 454 SRH. Get the small moa for target or hunting and the larger moa for quick shots. This is great for 1911's because it mounts in the rear dovetail. No drilling and big mounts to get in the way.

wally
June 28, 2004, 11:02 PM
I've been reasonably satisified with the cheap Target Sports red dot from CDNN Investments. I've one of the 1" tube $19 ones on my S&W 29 44 mag and so far its not self destructed. Also have one of their $50 "H&K 91" models on my CETME and its been great so far.

Avoid BEC, looked about the same so I picked one up instead of placing an order with CDNN and the POS fell apart after ~50 rounds of 45ACP. Replaced it with a Target Sports 30mm and so far so good. For me 30mm seems about right -- I tried a Tasco Pro Point and thought it was too big and put the dot too far above the bore. YMMV

Maybe Leupold has modified the design since I got mine, but I had to cut off part of mine at the rear of the rail to allow ejection -- I expected better from the brand but it was reasonably cheap and a dremel cuf off wheel goes right thru the aluminum. A bit of sanding and a touch of Bircwood Casey Aluminum black and my hack is only noticible if you look for it.

Not sure I like the Red Dots on a handgun, I'm still getting used to them, but <$75 for scope and grip mount didn't break the bank to give it a try on my Norinco.

If I become a believer in Red Dot sights I'll try the J-Point, but you are looking at about $250 for sight and mount.

--wally.

Zak Smith
June 28, 2004, 11:40 PM
JPoint or DoctorSight.

-z

JoeHatley
June 29, 2004, 10:37 AM
I've been quite pleased with this NPC/UltraDot set up.

http://www.iowatelecom.net/~hatley/sw1911_l_ud.jpg

Mount was about $60 from www.brownells.com and the UltraDot is around $130 from several suppliers.

Note, the NPC replaces the left grip, rather than the right grip like the Leupold, so no ejection problems. However... you do have to use a standard thumb safety, or modify(grind) the mount to clear an extended one.

Good Luck...

Joe

Bravo11
June 29, 2004, 02:03 PM
Nice setup Joe.

If you enjoyed reading about "Starter Red Dot" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!