My P3AT is out of service

PDA

Lennyjoe
June 29, 2004, 12:28 AM
Im bumming out dudes.

So here's why. I was shooting my P3AT at the range when I was in San Antonio. The pistol range had a grate under your feet for the brass to fall. So after Im done shooting the Kel-Tec, I broke it down for a quick wipe down. Wouldnt ya know, the friggin ejector fell down off the bench and into the abiss of brass below the grate.

Gone forever.

So now its useless till Kel-Tec sends me another one. Should be here by weeks end.

Why they made an extractor like that is beyond me.

Guess Im partially to blame but I usually wipe down all my pistols when Im done shooting until I get home for a major cleaning.

Edited to fix my goof:o

If you enjoyed reading about "My P3AT is out of service" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
WhoKnowsWho
June 29, 2004, 02:14 AM
Well, at least you have shown that in an emergency, we should not take our pistols apart to clean... :o

sm
June 29, 2004, 02:14 AM
That is a bummer.
Well at least it didn't break, it just had a part wander off.

When I doing some T&E on the P-11 I figured I'd mess something up. I didn't , still haven't.

Two students that were pretty proficient with pistols bought these P-11s as well. One , with the help of family cat lost the larger of thetwo recoil springs. In the same position as you.

I called Keltec, explained what happened. The person was real nice and I told her some students were using these as CCW, some were using as a BUG.

She asked if we had "wrung these out"...I said we had ordered six of them, and something to the effect I had shot mine quite a bit. ;) [ I was trying to tear it up]

She sends me a dozen slide stops, recoil springs sets, and various other small internal parts, 6 sets of sight set ups and two extra mags with extensions - no charge.

In the event a student had a problem, and needed a fast fix. She was also appreciative we bought 6 at once, and were teaching students.

I have yet to replace a part on mine. I have some spare parts for myself, the rest went to students and a gunsmith buddy. Funny when you have spare parts things don't break or get lost...

WonderNine
June 29, 2004, 05:23 AM
Are you sure it won't work without the extractor? My Autauga broke the extractor when I was shooting some powerful ammo, but it still works fine. There's alot of pocket guns that don't even have an extractor.

mini14jac
June 29, 2004, 08:32 AM
If you are talkin about the little piece that falls out when you have the gun apart, it's the ejector, and your gun will work fine without it.

alamo
June 29, 2004, 11:02 AM
mini14jac is right, he had to be talking about the ejector vs. extractor. The recoil spring catch will fall out too if you're not careful.

kokapelli
June 29, 2004, 11:04 AM
I'm sure mini14jac is right. It's the ejector that you lost and the pistol will work without it, it will just leave the last casing in the magazine stovepiped after it's fired, instead of ejecting it.

Lennyjoe
June 29, 2004, 02:09 PM
Ok, Im a knucklehead. Easy to get the terminoligy wrong.

It was the ejector. Little bugger just jumped out and runnoft;)

Anyway, Kel-Tec is sending one out pronto free of charge.

Gotta like that.

WhoKnowsWho
June 29, 2004, 03:49 PM
Anyway, Kel-Tec is sending one out pronto free of charge.

Are they sending you an ejector or an extractor? :p

Lennyjoe
June 29, 2004, 04:41 PM
EJECTOR ;)

Badger Arms
June 29, 2004, 09:31 PM
ROFLMAO... You know, I've never removed the extractor on my KT. I don't really think you should be detail stripping the gun just to 'wipe it down!' :evil: Yes, I know what you meant.

Lennyjoe
June 30, 2004, 12:16 AM
I just pulled off the slide to wipe it down and reload with JHP for the back pocket ride home.

It is after all my BUG for the .45. Which by the way did get a wipe down as well prior to going into the IWB holster.

And for the last time, it was the ejector, or was it the extractor:confused:

LOL

sm
June 30, 2004, 12:32 AM
See what happens when you clean guns?
Let that be a lesson :D

Ya'll be nice to Lennyjoe...I've done business with the man and he is a gentleman in my book.

Besides - paybacks are hell....right Lennyjoe? :p

GunGeek
June 30, 2004, 11:47 AM
You know, I've never removed the extractor on my KT. I don't really think you should be detail stripping the gun just to 'wipe it down!'

LOL, detail strip? Remove the slide on a P-3AT and turn the pistol upside down and that thing is comming out! When I put mine together I put grease in the hole the ejector goes in, acts like glue to hold it in. ;)

Lennyjoe
June 30, 2004, 12:18 PM
Grease huh? I'll remember that when I put the newbie in.

hnm201
June 30, 2004, 09:59 PM
Kel-tec designed the the P3AT with a easy-to-replace (and easy-to-lose) ejector for a good reason - to make it easy to replace.

Your P3AT will in fact function perfectly fine without an ejector in the gun. As mentioned above, it will stove-pipe the last round in the mag, ala the NAA Guardian.

Some people have theorized that KT made it easy to remove the ejector for this very reason: since the gun doesn't have a slide stop, one may opt to remove the ejector to purposefully cause the last round to stove pipe as means of visual indication that you've shot the gun empty.

Lennyjoe
July 1, 2004, 12:22 AM
Cool. I'll take it out this Saturday and run some rounds thru it and see if it will truely work without the EJECTOR ;)

I dont know for sure if it will be here from Kel-Tec by Saturday anyway.

Badger Arms
July 1, 2004, 02:19 AM
Interestingly, if you remove the EXTRACTOR on many blowback pistols, they will operate just fine. I know that many will also function without an ejector by relying on the next round in the magazine to deliver the casing from the ejection port. Because the P3AT is a locked breech, it probably won't function without the extractor.

Interesting take on the ejector design. Looking at the gun, I don't think they could find an easy way to get the ejector stay in the frame and that drove their decision to let it sit loose in there. Drilling a hole in the frame and hardened ejector would mean more machine operations that don't need to be done. Cheaper that way. I'd be interested to know if my P32 will function without the ejector. That ejector is harder to remove, but it would also eliminate the bolt hold-open.

Lennyjoe
July 3, 2004, 04:43 PM
Just got back from putting 50 rounds thru the P3AT without the ejector and it functioned flawlessly. Every round ejected and the last round didnt stove pipe.

I love this little bugger. She's a joy to shoot. :D

Badger Arms
July 3, 2004, 04:47 PM
Where did the spent casings go? Did the fly back over your head? Did they hit you in the forehead?

Lone_Gunman
July 3, 2004, 06:48 PM
Guess Im partially to blame

Partially?

kokapelli
July 3, 2004, 08:23 PM
"Just got back from putting 50 rounds thru the P3AT without the ejector and it functioned flawlessly. Every round ejected and the last round didnt stove pipe."

Yep! I didn't realize I had lost my ejector when I cleaned my P-3AT!

The next time I went to the range, I shot near 100 rounds without a hitch except for the last round casing stove piping! When I took the pistol apart to clean it I found out it didn't have an ejector! Makes no difference in function!

Lennyjoe
July 3, 2004, 08:41 PM
Spent casings went over the right shoulder bout 10 feet from the noggin.

Cycled just fine. Amazing isnt it?

Lennyjoe
July 7, 2004, 12:37 AM
Great news.

Kel-Tec sent not 1 but 2 new ejectors for my P3AT.

Thats great customer service in my book.

If you enjoyed reading about "My P3AT is out of service" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!