Makarov.com custom shop.......opinions please.

PDA

clipse
June 29, 2004, 09:42 AM
Has anyone had work done at the Makarov.com custom shop? My wife is planning on giving me money for a makarov in a month or so and I was thinking about having it sent off for some work. (new sights and refinishing) Here is what I was thinking of having done exactly.

We start with your Makarov, and will detail strip it, install your choice of Black or White Dot Novak Carry or Low Mount sights, or Xpress Systems Dot Sights. Smooth it inside and out, dehorn the entire outside of the Pistol, refinish it in your color choice of MolyResin. The Recoil Spring will be replaced with a Wolff recoil spring of the Correct weight (depends on caliber) and all other springs will be replaced with New springs. Up to 2 Mags (you supply) will be rebuilt as Custom Carry Mags (Extended Floor Plate and Wolff Extra Power Magazine springs) Comes returned to you in a Hard Side Pistol Case.

Price is $275. Is that a decent deal for what the offer? I don't know, I have never had any custom work done before.

I am planning on using this as a part time carry piece. What do you guys think?

clipse

If you enjoyed reading about "Makarov.com custom shop.......opinions please." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
George Hill
June 29, 2004, 12:28 PM
No, I've not had them do anything for me, but I have seen in person one that was worked on by them and they did indeed to good work.
If you are a real Mak fan, then go for it. With some refinement the Mak could be a much better pistol. The only thing though is that it's already a fine pistol and you don't need to have it worked on for it to be a rugged, reliable, and fully competent CCW pistol.

mtnbkr
June 29, 2004, 12:36 PM
Would you be better off taking your $150+$275 and buying a gun that doesn't need that work to begin with?

I like the Mak, but I don't think the cartridge or the gun is worth that much extra in gunsmithing.

Chris

Zundfolge
June 29, 2004, 01:38 PM
I had them put Novaks on my Bulgarian Makarov slide and frankly it was worth ever bit of the $125 it cost. Most of the internal work and the refinishing aren't all that necessary (the blueing on my Bulgarian is extremely nice) but they can improve the trigger a bit ... not that its that bad to start with.

They do good work, their turn around times aren't too bad and Karl and George know as much about these guns as old man Makarov himself.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=660396

Dorrin79
June 29, 2004, 02:07 PM
I guess it depends on how much you like the Mak - and whether you think better sights are a major improvement.

I love my Mak, and plan on including it in my CCW rotation, but I don't think it needs new sights and a re-finish for $275 to be an excellent sidearm.

Still, Zundfolge's picture is pretty tempting.

What kind of grips are those?

clipse
June 29, 2004, 03:22 PM
I really do like the Mak. I have never owned one but my father-in-law has one that is real nice. I also like the idea of my wife buying me a gun. It will be kind of a keep sake for me. I have never liked bluing so that is what temted me in the first place.

I also think it would be really need to have a Mak like no one else's in this area. Something to show off at the range. The Mak, 1911, and CZ 75 are my need guns. I need to have them to be happy. So far I only have the CZ 75(b). I am working on the 1911 on my own but when my wife offered to get me a Mak I thought that was the ultimate. Just for what its worth.

clipse

David4516
June 29, 2004, 03:34 PM
Can't go wrong with the Mak. My Mak is my carry gun...

I like it just as it is... the only thing I'd think about altering would be the sights... It's a great pistol but the sights are hard to see...

Zundfolge
June 29, 2004, 03:56 PM
Dorrin79, my grips are African Blackwood made by this guy: http://www.llamarun.com/grips.htm (he's the same guy who makes the wood grips they sell on makarov.com (http://www.makarov.com/cart/vitemmak.htm#grips)). Apparently he's out of the country for a while so he's not taking orders right now but makarov.com has a limited quantity.

mbott
June 29, 2004, 05:02 PM
Hey clipse, hope you're not in too much of a hurry if you decide upon Makarov.com doing your custome work.

"Due to the Large back log of work currently awaiting attention, we will not be accepting any new Slides or Guns until Approx. the End of August, 2004. Please do not send in any items for the Custom Shop at this time."

--
Mike

clipse
June 29, 2004, 05:21 PM
Mike,

I saw that. My wife and I's anniversary isn't untill early August. I figure that gives me time to play with the gun and then when Makarov.com accepts slide and pistols then I can send it in.

clipse

Stoney
June 29, 2004, 09:22 PM
I had them install the white dot Novaks on my CZ-52 and my
EG Mak. They did a great job. Makes a world of difference on both pistols. If they Had this deal when I sent my EG Mak I would have done it. The only bad thing was it took about 5 months to get it done and get the slide back to me.

Felonious Monk
June 29, 2004, 10:23 PM
zundfolge-- that's a sweet Mak you've got!

clipse-- A year or so ago, I caught a group buy of unissued Bulgie Maks still in the grease, and to tell the truth, I got it, thought, "yeah, cool. A piece of history" and planned to keep it unfired and in the box for perpetuity...UNTIL I saw that "Dream Carry" offer at mak dot com!

I don't mind waiting whatever it takes, and plan to have it done in the satin stainless version with Makawrap grips and Express Big Dot sights. I'm sure it'll be my fave once it's all done.

Go for it!
Felonious

If you enjoyed reading about "Makarov.com custom shop.......opinions please." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!