Best compact Glock .45?

PDA

sevenpoint62mm
June 29, 2004, 06:02 PM
Is the model 40 the smallest?

If you enjoyed reading about "Best compact Glock .45?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
FMarlon
June 29, 2004, 08:51 PM
Do you mean smallest compact .45?

I like the fit of the Glock 30 in my hand.

"Best" is subjective.

Just make sure you can keep hold of it when firing.

SAWBONES
June 29, 2004, 08:55 PM
There is no model 40.

Current model (or Glock patent) numbers go up to 37.

The G36 is the smallest .45ACP Glock at present.
IMNSHO, it's the best one for CCW.

The G30 is the best one for actual shooting, since it has less felt recoil than the G36 (a minor issue), and is perhaps even more accurate than the G21.

I have all three models, and carry the G36 regularly.

Although there's another .45 Glock, it's the G37, a fullsize gun which shoots the proprietary 45GAP, a cartridge which seems to fill no useful gap (pun intended).

sevenpoint62mm
June 29, 2004, 09:28 PM
I thought there was no model past the high 30s but Oshman's (yes, not the experts on guns) has it listed as "Model 40". Kinda odd but anyway I loved the gripm the feel, the size, everything. I think I might be getting the glock bug. :uhoh:

EDIT: It was the model 30 but I just called the store which said yes its marked as model 40 :rolleyes: . Anyway I liked it thought the G36 looks nice. Problem is only 6 rounds :barf:

Drjones
June 30, 2004, 02:23 PM
G30 hands down.

11 rounds of .45 in a very compact and reliable-as-a-brick package.

If you're considering the 36 with its pitiful capacity, you might as well carry a revolver. (Not that there's anything wrong with revolvers)

Greybeard
July 1, 2004, 06:19 AM
The "Model 40" thing at Oshman's does not surprise me. Our local store has been known to even have some quite "creative" labeling of Smith and Wesson revolvers. Anyone wanna try to explain the S&W numbering system to a dude making $8 an hour? :rolleyes:

I bought the G36 primaily because I wanted a .45 that I could ride hard and put up wet - and I liked the grip better than other Glocks. Of 4 mags for it, I put the +1 extension on 3. Not necessarily for the extra round, but for "feel".

W Turner
July 1, 2004, 12:14 PM
I would be all over a Glock 36 if they made a 5-rd. flush fit mag for it. It would be great for ankle/pocket carry.

W

Mac Attack
July 1, 2004, 01:40 PM
G30 is a great little carry weapon. I carry mine often, as a matter of fact I am wearing it right now. :D

sevenpoint62mm
July 3, 2004, 04:18 AM
Starting to rethink my choice. Seems some 30s have KB!'ed even using factory non-lead ammo. Any other compact non-Glock choices besides AMT and cmpact 1911s?

otomik
July 3, 2004, 04:40 AM
There's not that many really compact non-1911 .45s especially if you have a problem with modest capacity magazines. i'm not going to touch that kB flamebait comment. No offense but this and other posts of yours lead me to think you might be better off lurking, learning and maturing for a while.

here's some respectable choices IMHO
Beretta 8045 MiniCougar (6 round mag, George Hill loves his http://www.madogre.com/Interviews/Beretta_Mini_Cougar.htm)
SIG-Sauer P-245 (6 round mag)
SIG Mauser M2 .45 (fairly affordable, same rare rotating system as the Beretta Cougar)
Bersa .45 (7 round mag, affordable)
S&W CS45

some less respectable choices
Taurus PT145 (many early reports of frames breaking, i'd research this one carefully if it really interests you)
Cobra Patriot (gas delayed blowback HK P7 type system, ugly, polymer, lightweight, inexpensive)

sevenpoint62mm
July 3, 2004, 05:13 AM
Heh, not flaming Glocks. They're good guns but I'm weighing the choices. Sounds like the Para Warthog and Ultra-compact springfield are nice. Are there 12 round mags for the springfield? This link hints there might be http://www.impactsites2000.com/site3/spring3.htm

otomik
July 3, 2004, 05:34 AM
yeah there's a lot of good compact 1911s but your post said you weren't interested.

denfoote
July 3, 2004, 05:36 AM
As soon as my G30 or G36 KB's using factory jacketed ammo, I'll let you know!!

The G36 is best for concealed carry IMHO!!!

Turk
July 3, 2004, 12:17 PM
My every day CCW handgun is a Kel-tec P3AT (380ACP).

It's very small and light. IF I go into what I call a high threat evoirment I will take my Smith 4013.

I like most gun owers do like some new for my high threat gun and was debating as to what?

My critera is

Caliber 9 Para, 40 SW or 45 ACP (any of these three is sufficient)
Realiblity
Light weight
Small size
Double action only

The Kel-Tec P-11 is the lightist but for a couple extra oz. of wt. I can get a 40 or a 45.

The Glock 36 is very appealing but I already have a 45 ACP and don't like to duplicate calibers.

So I think I'll wait for for a Glock 36 to be chambered in GAP 45 that would be different. Concerning the post the "45 GAP cartridge which seems to fill no useful gap" Probalbly true but why not.

Also concerning 36 having pitiful round capacity. My take on this if you need more than 6 rounds of any handgun caliber you had better brought a AR or shotgun to the firefight.

Have a good day and remember to pray for our troops.

Turk

Wolfy
July 3, 2004, 12:20 PM
I vote for the G30 as I don't own a G36. The G30 11 rounds in a small package the problem with the G36 is it is a single stack so it only holds 7 rounds (best guess) but for me the grip is to short I can only get 2 1/2 fingers on it.

Chupacabra
July 3, 2004, 01:28 PM
I tried a Glock 30 with a Hogue grip on it and liked it ALOT. A sweet little shooter. The grip really helped with recoil management and eliminated the "Glock pinch" I usually experience with Glocks.

:D

sevenpoint62mm
July 3, 2004, 04:29 PM
yeah there's a lot of good compact 1911s but your post said you weren't interested.

Yeah but I'm starting to see the ultra-compacts are nearly whole new breed. Main reason against 1911s however seems to be the cost. From the local stores I've looked at a good 1911 in the ultra-compacts are 700+. I like the Taurus PT145 feel (basically a G30 clone) and the price but I think otomik's advice is solid.

As far as the G36 ammo cap I think with only 6 rounds I'd perfer to go with a 357 mag stubby before it. While you right (hell how many 230 gr .45 rounds an a man take) more ammo is mo better if for no other reason then legal defense after the fact. A mag of 10 with only 6 missing shows more self-control then a full empty mag of 6 IMHO.

BTW I have a Keltec 380 already guys but thanks for the mention. Its great for deep conceal but looking for another 45 to replace my monster Ruger P97 as my normal carry. It works like a champ but mucho bulky.

Lone_Gunman
July 3, 2004, 05:44 PM
The Glock 30 is a good gun, but it conceals about as well as a brick. I found it very uncomfortable to carry because it is so thick.

JohnKSa
July 3, 2004, 06:09 PM
but I think otomik's advice is solid. Posted by otomik
No offense but this and other posts of yours lead me to think you might be better off lurking, learning and maturing for a while.

gulogulo1970
July 3, 2004, 06:12 PM
I own and shoot a Glock 36. Recoil is not nearly as bad as I thought it might be. I like shooting it. I thought it would be a "shoot very little gun" but I can't wait to get back to the range with mine.

I held a Glock 30, it is just too thick for me to grasp correctly. And I don't know where I could conceal a brick like that. KB's are a very rare happening. I don't worry too much about it.

sevenpoint62mm
July 3, 2004, 06:59 PM
JohnKSa what use was your post? Nothing. Thanks bye

On G30s is feeding pretty reliable?

JohnKSa
July 3, 2004, 07:03 PM
You said otomik's advice was solid. I was agreeing with you.

I do have a question--which Oshman's had a Glock 40 listed or told you they had a Glock marked model 40 in stock?

Also, you never answered my questions on the "38 super round for defense" thread.

sevenpoint62mm
July 3, 2004, 07:28 PM
John I'm flattered you follow me from thread to thread. I'm sure your also happy I live near you but I don't swing that way. :uhoh: Cruise for a friend somewhere else.

Stephen A. Camp
July 3, 2004, 08:44 PM
Let's get back on topic and off of insults.

Thanks in advance.

JohnKSa
July 3, 2004, 09:54 PM
I don't swing that wayThis reminds me of a quote from Guns & Ammo. John Hay Rabb was quoting from Handgun Control's website regarding the argument on Ballistic Fingerprinting. The quote was "If all else fails, accuse your opponent of being a militant homophobic, and refuse to continue a discussion based on scientific facts." I suppose this is a variation on the same idea.

Soo...back to the Glock 40. Which Oshmans was that?

If you enjoyed reading about "Best compact Glock .45?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!