what did you put for reason to want a CCW on form

PDA

stealthmode
June 29, 2004, 10:03 PM
i would like to know what reasons people gave when they applied for their carry concealed permits. i myself do not have any so called "good reason" to get a ccw. i dont have any money, was never a victim of a crime, i drive a crap box econo car, i dont work i go to school full time. the reason i would want one is to protect myself and in california that is not a justified reason. i always see ads for ccw classes and think i would like to take it but i cant see paying the money only to be told i cant get one.:cuss:

If you enjoyed reading about "what did you put for reason to want a CCW on form" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Arc Angel
June 29, 2004, 10:05 PM
in california that is not a justified reason.

:rolleyes: OK, 'Personal Protection'. A number of my gun-carrying friends used, 'Self-Defense'. (It's still legal - right!) Let's face it: California doesn't want you to carry a concealed sidearm. It's the same political situation as exists in my old home state of New Jersey.

Only the very rich, famous, or politically powerful are allowed to carry handguns in New Jersey. If you are a member of the general public, forget about it; you'll only give your local police chief a really good laugh! In my old home state you could walk into the local police station wearing a Congressional Medal of Honor on your chest and, neither the chief nor the local magistrate would give you a permit to carry a sidearm. That's just the way it is in too many states like California and New Jersey. Why not do what I did - Move to a 2nd Amendment state!

By the way, I thought Diane (One, 'n' or two?) Feinstein was the only person allowed to carry concealed in California; are you telling me there is more than one CCW in that state? :D

fjolnirsson
June 29, 2004, 10:20 PM
Talk to Jim March. He's helping me with mine, and he's helped others. It depends greatly on which county you live in.

Arc Angel,
Some counties are effectively "shall issue". Some are "may issue". Some are "won't issue".
Depends on how strongly your local Sheriff believes in his oath of office.
Some folks in rural counties have it pretty good as far as CCW is concerned.

Mastrogiacomo
June 29, 2004, 10:27 PM
I wrote "For all lawful purposes." In my city, it didn't work -- they "never give out CCW." Can't wait to find a job and move.... :cuss:

Mac Attack
June 29, 2004, 10:27 PM
I don't remember there being a question as to why you need a CCW on my application. If there was I would have said for self protection but I almost certain that there wasn't. All I had to do was print my name, address and phone number. Read a offical statement and sign my acknowledgement and then pay a $8.00 processing fee and $45 MO to the GBI.

tc300mag1
June 29, 2004, 10:30 PM
didnt have to state a reason here sin e they changed the laws b4 it was only avaible as victim of crime carry lots of money for work etcetc

dukeofurl
June 29, 2004, 10:44 PM
The following are good reasons

"Terrorism"
"Ex girlfriend"
"Ex wife"
"Ex girlfriend support group"
"Ex wife support group"
"Ex girlfriends/wive support group"
"Bill collectors"
"Bookie is looking for me"
"Bat country"
"Bear attacks"
"I live next to a mental hospital"
"I live next to a public high school"
"I live next to a crackhouse"

fjolnirsson
June 29, 2004, 11:00 PM
"Terrorism"
"Ex girlfriend"
"Ex wife"
"Ex wife support group"
"Bill collectors"
"Bat country"
"Bear attacks"

None of these are likely to get you a permit where I live.:scrutiny:

FMarlon
June 29, 2004, 11:03 PM
Boy do I feel lucky!

All I have to put is "Demonstrated Responsibility"

Since I have demonstrated the responsibility to apply for one and taken the required course.

Mal H
June 29, 2004, 11:12 PM
In Virginia you have to say something like, "I want one." And that's only if you're feeling talkative the day you go for the forms. :) No reason required.

ExtremeDooty
June 29, 2004, 11:25 PM
In a "Shall Issue" state, you don't need a reason. They have to find a reason not to issue it to you.

JamisJockey
June 29, 2004, 11:43 PM
My 'reason' was simple. In the residency box, I filled out my local address, which is proof enough in a 'shall issue' state...
:neener:

I feel pretty bad for you **********ns. I hate **********, trying desperately to get my Mom to move out of Santa Ana.

Treylis
June 30, 2004, 12:48 AM
"Terrorism"
"Ex girlfriend"
"Ex wife"
"Ex wife support group"
"Bill collectors"
"Bat country"
"Bear attacks"

Zombies.

proletariat
June 30, 2004, 01:07 AM
what did you put for reason to want a CCW on form

It varies in California but here is a good site that can help you if you haven't checked it out already. Its calld http://www.packing.org but here is a direct link to the california section.

http://www.packing.org/state/index.jsp/california
There is a list of peoples email who can help you out.

Jim March
June 30, 2004, 01:42 AM
Stealthmode: what county are you in? PM me or EMail me (jmarch@prodigy.net) if you want.

I saw a case not too long ago where a guy posted his situation on packing and some fools "didn't believe him"...so they complained to his local agency and probably ended up getting him fired.

"Stealth mode" is a good way of handling packing.org :scrutiny:.

sm
June 30, 2004, 01:54 AM
I didn't have to state a reason.

Hell I'd be tempted to state :

" I'm doing a thesis on the political corruption that infringes on one's Rights,including the Second Amendment"

" I belong to a responsible gun forum and everyone is curious as to how one goes about getting a CCW here".

"Who does my family sue when I'm dead because the SCOTUS said the LEO community does not have to respond to my need of being protected".

What do I know? I've been in foul mood for two days and my patience is razor thin.

stealthmode
June 30, 2004, 04:01 AM
thanks for all the quick replies

Jim i live in orange county

tcdrennen
June 30, 2004, 04:50 AM
stealthmode-

I'm in OC, too, and Sheriff Carona is pretty cool about CCWs. My 'good cause" was essentially "frequent shooter". If you can document (via letters from ranges or clubs where you shoot) that you shoot 2-3 (or more - in my case it was 4-6) times a month over a year or so period, that'll do it.

Other reasons are carrying cash or valuables frequently - if you have a vending machine or laundromat route, work with jewelers or gun shops, etc.

Unfortunately, "Self Defense" or "Personal Protection" are specifically NOT acceptable good causes in OC, though they are in San Bernardino County.

Get in touch with TJ Johnston at All Safe Defense (http://www.allsafedefense.com) or the guys at Firearms Training Associates (http://www.ftatv.com/) for more info - they are two of the four OCSD-authorized CCW instructors.

Anna G.
June 30, 2004, 05:16 AM
Interesting, yesterday I stumbled on exactly the same problem where I live.

I thought of looking deeper into our firearms laws. On first glance everything looks fine, we can own them. But then something little draws your attention. It turns out we need to put a reason in the application too! And according to some bulgarian forums on the subject, no, just "for self-defence" doesnt do. Also, according to them again, even if the age limit is 18, if you are "too young" (like 20-25) they can still reject your application.

This reduces my chances to zero. :( I am 18 and I dont have any stalkers or agressive ex-husbands.

I can imagine what will happen when we are accepted into EU in 2007.

stealthmode
June 30, 2004, 05:24 AM
tcdrennen thanks for the info i will look into those companies you mentioned above.

Anna G. i feel your pain.

LynnMassGuy
June 30, 2004, 08:03 AM
"All lawful purposes."

rick_reno
June 30, 2004, 08:46 AM
Nothing. This state (Idaho) doesn't require a reason to carry a firearm.

Gump
June 30, 2004, 09:53 AM
Just like Lynnn Mass Guy

"All Lawful Purposes"

Glad I don't live in Salem, MA. I understand that God himself would have trouble in Salem:uhoh:

TonyB
June 30, 2004, 10:26 AM
Here in my county of upstate NY,I had to take an extended NRA course and write a letter to my local judge.In the letter I just stated that I took the course and was an IDPA marksman and wanted my hunting and target restrictions taken off my permit.In about 2 weeks the judge himself called me and said"You permit is all set,the restrictions are off,soory it took so long."Gotta love my county.In other parts of NY,it's almost impossible to get restrictions off though..:(

Bravo11
June 30, 2004, 10:26 AM
I didn't have to put a reason in my state but I have had people ask me why I CCW and I use a line I got from THR.
"In case I see somebody that needs shootin":D

Benjamin
June 30, 2004, 10:51 AM
Southern MA - "All Lawful Purposes"

NH's out of state forms are cute. There's a space for your reason. When you look at the instructions on the back, it says to write either "personal protection" or "all proper purposes". So, that's nice. Runs about 14 days door to door. $20 / 4 years right now.

Still working on a reason for my RI out of state carry permit. :uhoh:

Steel
June 30, 2004, 10:54 AM
Too bad you could not put "2nd Amendment"

;)

Black Snowman
June 30, 2004, 10:58 AM
How about "I have a moral, ethical, and religious duty to protect the life and liberty of myself, my loved ones, and my community."

Jim March
June 30, 2004, 12:07 PM
Stealthmode: as others have said, OC isn't at all hopeless.

First thing, document your shooting frequency, join an organized shooting org of any sort if possible (SASS/CAS, IDPA, whatever) and be able to put in "need to protect my guns during (documentably) frequent range trips" or similar. DOCUMENT it: range reciepts, shooting org card, etc.

Second, no matter WHAT your good cause, think "back it with paper". Hell, think "BURY them in paper". Do you drop off cash at the bank for the family business? Bring in bank reciepts. Etcetera.

Rather than go into great detail here, look up CCW trainers approved in Orange County for the sheriff's program. They can help you "fine tune" your "good cause statement" much better than myself or anyone online.

dairycreek
June 30, 2004, 12:37 PM
And I have concealed carry permits for both states. No questions about anything. You just fill out the form answering such questions as name, age, and address, height, weight, color eyes, and color hair. Pay your money and wait until it comes in the mail. Of course part of the fee is for the record search to determine if you have a criminal record but no questions as to why you want it. No muss no fuss. Good shooting;)

halvey
June 30, 2004, 01:49 PM
"Ex girlfriend"
"Ex Wife" Both?

joegerardi
June 30, 2004, 02:05 PM
Georgia is a "Shall Issue" so there's no reason requirement. The toughest thing we go through is the wait. The law states if no reason can be found within 60 days, they must issue, but the FBI is so slow, it can sometimes take 3, 3 1/2 months. If you have a good judge, (and we do here in Savannah) you call him personally, tell him how long you've been waiting, and he signs it that day, if it's over 60.

The coolest thing about GA's easy laws: The Firearms License (it's NOT a permit) is the bottom right hand side of the 8 1/2x11 application. They take scissors, cut it out, laminate it and send it to you. I think that's hilarious!

..Joe

PS: Anna- ochen ploho on the permit requirements. Eta GOVNO! :)

Anna G.
June 30, 2004, 03:10 PM
PS: Anna- ochen ploho on the permit requirements. Eta GOVNO!
:o Words like this sound much worse in slavic languages, in my opinion. :)

I concur.

jetman
July 1, 2004, 10:40 PM
in Ohio you don't have to say why. They didn't ask, I didn't tell

MikeB
July 1, 2004, 10:59 PM
In my area of PA we have several check boxes.

If I recall correctly Self-Defense, Collector, Hunting and something else. I checked two or three out of the four. You don't have to write anything. Regardless the LTC actually says SELF-DEF in the REASON TO CARRY section typed in by the sheriffs office.

Amish_Bill
July 1, 2004, 11:50 PM
When I got my first PA permit I checked several of those boxes. The person at the sherrif's office lok at it, asked me what I was doing, and told me to just check self defense.

Amish_Bill
July 1, 2004, 11:54 PM
Anna G wrote:
This reduces my chances to zero. I am 18 and I dont have any stalkers or agressive ex-husbands.

Don't worry - just join up over at democratic underground and post some conservative viewpoints. You can probably flush out a few death threats in short order if you work the kids right... :-)

Don't worry too much about them though -- even if you put your full address in your sig they'll probably keep asking you what state (of the US) you live in ...

CZ 75 BD
July 1, 2004, 11:58 PM
2 words - self defense

esheato
July 2, 2004, 12:17 AM
In California (Yuba County) I simply put "self-defense."

The interviewer asked me to expand on my reasoning and I replied, "I'm military, I don't know a whole lot of people in town, I work unusual hours and I live alone," and that was good enough for him. Who am I to complain? ;)

Ed

Old Fuff
July 2, 2004, 12:18 AM
Move East Young Man, Move East .....

In Arizona we don't have to give a reason.

Anna G.
July 2, 2004, 05:13 AM
Don't worry - just join up over at democratic underground and post some conservative viewpoints. You can probably flush out a few death threats in short order if you work the kids right... :-)

Don't worry too much about them though -- even if you put your full address in your sig they'll probably keep asking you what state (of the US) you live in ...
Lol. :D Thank you.

gvass
July 2, 2004, 06:08 AM
"I can imagine what will happen when we are accepted into EU in 2007."

Nothing. At all.

CCW is a national issue for every member state.

Only the member country's gun law must comply with "Council Directive 91/477/EEC of 18 June 1991 on control of the acquisition and possession of weapons".

But our new one (effective from 01. may of 2004) do not fully comply:-((

Anna G.
July 2, 2004, 07:34 AM
Gvass, good then, thank you. EU already made us partially close our nuclear power station (if I recall right, I dont follow the news very carefully, they frustrate me) so I was left with the impression that we'll have to fawn on them in every respect.

As far as I understood from a fast look through the Directive, our laws follow it pretty closely.

Where are you from?

gvass
July 2, 2004, 08:44 AM
"Where are you from?"

I'm from Hungary.

"As far as I understood from a fast look through the Directive, our laws follow it pretty closely."

Our one do not. The directive rule 4 categories: forbidden, subject to licensing, subject to registration, other.

In Hungary there are ONLY two categories: forbidden (full auto, silenced, military rocket launchers), and any other modern civilian firearm falls into subject to licensing. Even the double barrelled shotgun is hard to get for sportshooting.

No home defence, no gun collecting, and very discretionary CCW (LE, Military, and (corrupt) political leaders ONLY).

("EU already made us partially close our nuclear power station "

Kozloduj?

They did not succeed in Temelin/CZ)

Anna G.
July 2, 2004, 09:12 AM
Yes, Kozloduj. Correction: They havent closed it yet, but they plan on doing it very soon and I have the feeling they'll make it. Hopefully not though.

hso
July 2, 2004, 09:25 AM
We don't have to justify it here in Tennessee.

Gump
July 2, 2004, 09:30 AM
" I need to purchase a secure Bullet storage and disposal device"

sch40
July 2, 2004, 12:27 PM
bat country
zombies
LMAO!!!:D :D :D :rolleyes:

I haven't applied for a LTC here in MO yet (my county is of the few that decided not to issue yet), but when I applied for a permit to purchase a concealable weapon (yes, yes, I know) they give you a 6-response multiple choice question: "For what purpose do you wish to purchase this weapon?" It includes the usual, self defense, collecting, etc. -- but the strange thing is you can only choose one. :confused:

wmenorr67
July 2, 2004, 12:51 PM
Maybe one of our single guys in a shall issue state should marry Anna G. and bring her over from Bulgaria.;)

aguyindallas
July 2, 2004, 12:54 PM
"Because I can"

Oh wait, I am in Texas. I didnt have to give a "reason"

Man I love this place!

wmenorr67
July 2, 2004, 12:59 PM
I am glad I don't live in Kansas City, KS anymore. Still wouldn't be able to carry legally. :fire: :banghead: At least MO wised up finally.

Luis Leon
July 2, 2004, 02:21 PM
I just put down "For all lawful purposes"

and got a full unrestricted carry license...

I'm in NYS.

Regards,

Luis Leon

If you enjoyed reading about "what did you put for reason to want a CCW on form" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!