Aarrgg!!! PCR or P-01

PDA

HardCOR
June 30, 2004, 01:35 AM
Can't make-up my mind. Need help! Can't decide between these two. Neither is available around here to handle or shoot.

PCR:
looks way better (not most impotant thing, but helps)
slimmer snout is better for IWB
better stock sights (but, has reverse dovetail)
slightly lighter

P-01:
accessory rail (don't know that I would use it)
seems to be easier to find aftermarket sights for (regular dovetail)
added weight is at the front and may aid in recovery
meets NATO specs (PCR could maybe meet some of them)

From what I have read, it would seem that P-01 is better balanced. PCR is easier to carry IWB. Have heard complaints about dots on PCR sights fading or being dull.

Anybody have both? Comments? Observations?

HELP ME

If you enjoyed reading about "Aarrgg!!! PCR or P-01" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Plinkerton
June 30, 2004, 01:41 AM
I don't have either, but I BADLY want a P-01.

Personally, I think it looks way better than the other CZ's. I think the rail is a great thing to have (part of the reason I want it).

The torture test they put it thru was great, and definitely lets me know it can handle some abuse.

From what I have heard the P-01's are great, but then again, almost everyone with any CZ seems to love it.

I bet you would be happy with both, but personally (which I guess is really a completely uneducated opinion... :D) I think you should get the P-01.

Walt Sherrill
June 30, 2004, 08:10 AM
The dovetail for the sights on those guns are the same.

What's different is where some metal is shaved from the slide, either before or after the dovetail. Other sights might be a problem, either way, but easily resolved by a gunsmith (or by you with a flat file, done carefully.)

With regard to after-market sights, the front sight is a far bigger issue, as the length-wise dovetail found on the newer "B" guns isn't supported by many sight makers.

As to which is better: PCR or P-01? Basically they are the same gun, with some refinements added in the P-01 frame and its method of manufacture (I don't remember the details...) Arguably the P-01 is a more durable gun, but both have proved to be pretty darned durable.

I prefer the 75 COMPACT, rather than the PCR/P-01, as I don't like decockers. The Compact also has a steel (rather than alloy) frame, which makes it a bit heavier (a minor negative.) I prefer "cocked and locked" and you can't do that with the CZ decockers.

As to sights fading: they're just painted with some light-sensitive paint.

Once you get one of them, go to a model shop, pick up a "kit" of Testor's Flourescent model paint. For under $5 you can have bunches of bottles of various colors to mix up and fix the sights to your own color tastes.

The flourescent model paint works far better in bright and low light than does the factory white paint.

Gary in Pennsylvania
June 30, 2004, 08:42 AM
I too would like to get a P-01........

I have the PCR and L-O-V-E it!

Hey Walt - Bein' that the RAMI and P-01 seem to be selling like hotcakes ( compared to the other CZ models, at least ) . . . What's a good foing price for a -75 Compact these days?

And how is it that the Compact shows 5.0 inches high, the 75B is 5.4inches and the PCR is 5.3inches high? Is the Compact really shorter than the PCR & P-01? Is it noticable?

Thanks!

Gary in Pennsylvania

Walt Sherrill
June 30, 2004, 09:46 AM
Gary:

Darned if I know the answers to your questions. I didn't think there were any substantial differences in height.

I've only handled one RAMI (found it kinda big!) and a 40-P (at a gun show); have yet to hold a P-01, as they just aren't found around here (Piedmont NC) in any numbers.

Also have no idea about a good price on a Compact. I'd probably buy a used one, if I were looking for one. This sort of thing is discussed on the CZ Forum, but since I'm not in the market for a new CZ, nowadays, I don't pay much attention to those particular messages.

clipse
June 30, 2004, 10:01 AM
Gary,

The heighth thing is due to the lanyard loop on the P-01 and PCR but not the compact.

Going price for a compact in this area (Midwest) is about $430.

I love my P-01 and won't trade it for anything.

clipse

Gary in Pennsylvania
June 30, 2004, 10:05 AM
Oh. OK. Thanks Clipse!

Black Snowman
June 30, 2004, 10:10 AM
I like the thinness of the Compact over the PCR and P-01 and I've never been a fan of accessory rails. If I want more weight/control over the PCR I'd take the compact. My biggest gripe on the PCR and P-01 is that I don't like the de-cocker. Give me the regular safety system so I can carry C&L.

These are all personal preferences so YMMV.

12 Volt Man
June 30, 2004, 11:04 AM
Both are excellent choices. If you don't feel you need an accessory rail, then just find the one you can get the best deal on.
Although you could end up like me. I have a P-01 and when I find a great deal on a PCR, I'll probably end up with that too.

PCRCCW
June 30, 2004, 11:53 AM
Well, my main CCW for years was the PCR......Ive had many Compact/PCR's and shot many PO1's.....they are essentially the same gun....just different configuration.
Shoot well.......either will do you well.

rbernie
June 30, 2004, 12:16 PM
PCR is probably better at CCW, given it's narrower snout. The P01 is probably more suited to home defense type scenarios, given it's ability to accept a tactical light.

I prefer the PCR, but that's just me.

GunNut
June 30, 2004, 04:11 PM
PCR first, then the P-01....:D

Love my PCR.

steve

George Hill
June 30, 2004, 05:26 PM
I'd take a P-01. The weight in the hand/balance is *perfection*.

clipse
June 30, 2004, 06:21 PM
I would like to eventually get a 75B compact. If they made it in an Alloy frame it would me on my belt right now. :D

clipse

Maxer51tx
June 30, 2004, 06:31 PM
It's pretty much a coin toss really. If you need the rail, that would cinch it. But you must not or you wouldn't ask.

I bought the p01 because:

1. I liked the appearance better;
2. they're easy to find for sale here;
3. the p01 is the model that actually passed the torture tests.

Regarding 3., though, CZs are known for durability and reliablity.

cratz2
June 30, 2004, 06:51 PM
Yeah, unless you are actively going to use the light/accessory rail, the PCR and the P-01 are about 1% different from one another and I have very little doubt that if you like one, you'll like the other just as well and if you have money in hand, I wouldn't waste more than about five more seconds picking between the two... just go get one and start enjoying it! :p

On the sights, I've now owned about six different CZs and, for reasons unknown to me, their sights seem to be painted with super quick-fading paint. The Testors flourescent orange and a couple minutes of your time works wonders. ;)

edison
June 30, 2004, 08:54 PM
A P-01 followed me home after a chance meeting at my local Gander Mountain recently. The store didn't even have the pistol on display, I had to ask if the store carried CZs. The clerk went into the back and came out with a P-01. In truth, I was looking for a PCR, however I had to take what was available. :D I really like this handgun--and not just because I plopped down my plastic. I passed up a few smaller pistols because they didn't fit my hand as well as the P-01. The appearance just keeps growing on me.

Check out the CZ Forum and good luck with your choice. Don't see how you can go wrong either way.

edison

Marshall
June 30, 2004, 11:15 PM
Do like I plan to, buy a CZ-97 and beat em senseless! :evil:

Marcus
June 30, 2004, 11:35 PM
IMO if you`re not going to use the rail or if you`re gonna CCW it IWB get the PCR. The PO-1 is very cool but it`s chunky like a Glock or XD. I wanted a .40 CZ this time so I bought a 40P (CZ-40 top end on a PO-1 frame). It carries okay but my 75B is much slimmer. I do use the light rail though (M3) which makes it a great HD gun. It`s taken that chore over from my 75B already. Marcus

Ky Larry
July 1, 2004, 11:09 AM
I have a PCR but you won't go wrong with either. The trigger just gets better and better. I've fed it everything from Russian steel cased junk to WWB to Blazers to NATO milspec to reloads and never a hiccup. Best accuracy in all my CZ's seems to be with S&B hardball. Shoot well and often.

clipse
July 1, 2004, 11:22 AM
Another thing to think about is the fact that the P-01 has a forged frame where-as the PCR is cast. Does it make a difference? I don't know.

clipse

cratz2
July 1, 2004, 01:17 PM
Hrmm... I think I had missed where the P-01 had a forged frame rather than the PCR's cast frame... That might make me lean towards the P-01 even if I wasn't going to use the light rail... And assuming equal prices.

clipse
July 1, 2004, 01:48 PM
On CZUSA's site it says that they changed the metalurgy of the frame. I email CZUSA about it mike told me that the changed from a cast frame to a forged frame for the P-01.

clipse

Plinkerton
July 1, 2004, 04:10 PM
Another thing to think about is the fact that the P-01 has a forged frame where-as the PCR is cast. Does it make a difference? I don't know.

I have also heard this, from numerous sources.

Maxer51tx
July 1, 2004, 06:28 PM
The p01 carries just fine. Very concealable.

Craig M. Arnold
July 2, 2004, 01:11 AM
I have two PCRs and two P01s. I love them all. The PCR and P01 is basically the same gun. I carry my PCRs more, however I believe that I shoot the P01s just a little better. You won't go wrong with either one, better yet, buy both!

E36M3
July 2, 2004, 06:10 PM
I called CZ today who said that both the PCR and P-01 have forged frames.
PCR - The Greatest Handgun Known to Man

Maxer51tx
July 4, 2004, 02:47 PM
In this case, it's like Bambi's dad said, "Follow your nose." Just get the one you feel like getting. Either way, you won't make a mistake. I don't regret my p01 one bit, nor do I feel like a I need a PCR. I'd probably feel the same way if I'd bought a PCR.

Zan
July 4, 2004, 07:39 PM
The P-01 is both a solid CCW and service pistol. I intend on giving the RAMI a try next.

dairycreek
July 5, 2004, 02:49 PM
give PCRCCW's statement Ive had many Compact/PCR's and shot many PO1's.....they are essentially the same gun....just different configuration. I tried both and just plain liked the P-01 better. For me it was purely fit and feel. I am not moved by light rails and the like. I was impressed by the stats on the P-01's testing though. Pretty impressive though I must admit that, in fact, I will never use a gun like that. When I bought the P-01 I had a holster made by HBE and the combination has been just outstanding.
Good shooting;)

HardCOR
July 5, 2004, 08:22 PM
dairycreek:

I like that holster, which model is it?

Catbird
July 5, 2004, 09:16 PM
I bought my very first CZ about 6 months ago, a P-01. This gun fits me perfectly compared to all my other handguns. I personally like the decocker of the P-01. I have since purchased a 9mm RAMI and a 9mm 75B, but the P-01 remains my favorite. I wish my RAMI had a decocker.

I probably could have been just as happy with a PCR, however I kept hearing that the P-01 employed slightly newer technology (?) and had undergone more extensive testing.

I called CZ and ordered Meprolight night sights for my P-01. They (CZ) sent me PT brand night sights instead which initially disappointed me quite a bit. After examining the sights in complete darkness, I found that they were plenty bright, so I installed them myself... so far, so good. If they begin to dim prematurely, I'll just call and complain then. They do provide a very nice daytime sight picture also.

PCRCCW
July 6, 2004, 02:52 PM
HardCOR.......
The holster is a Custom for DairyCreek.......if you want one.....We can call it the "DC Special".............it sounds official enough!
Just email or call.............
Hey Dairy, youre famous now...........do I get a commision? :D
Shoot well......

spartacus2002
July 6, 2004, 08:52 PM
Do they use the same magazines?

cratz2
July 7, 2004, 11:54 AM
If you're asking if the PCR and the P-01 use the same magazines, that's a big affirmative.

I think they use the same everything except sights... They are literally 98% the same gun.

clipse
July 7, 2004, 12:16 PM
I would say more 90-95% :D But who's counting.

clipse

GAC
July 9, 2004, 12:15 AM
Catbird, what tools did you need to install the night sights? I saw good prices for sights on the CZ website.

If you enjoyed reading about "Aarrgg!!! PCR or P-01" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!