Value of a Lyman GP

PDA

Gerald McDonald
February 13, 2003, 07:56 PM
I have a Lyman great plains 50 that I am startring to think of selling. Just wonder what the going price is. This one was built from the kit by a blackpowder rifle builder. Browned barrel, color case hardend furniture, oil finished wood. Still dont know for sure whether I will sell it, but as of lately all I have shot has been a Jonathon Browning Mountain rifle I picked up about 4 years ago.
Gerald

If you enjoyed reading about "Value of a Lyman GP" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
scotjute
February 14, 2003, 11:00 AM
I've seen several for sale over the last year, range was from $175 - $300. I would think about $250 would be a good price for one in good shape and not shot too much. Might want to include a note about gun's accuracy.

Poodleshooter
February 14, 2003, 12:21 PM
Is it percussion or a flinter? Best price I've seen new has been around $330 for the assembled GP rifle. You've had a lot of value added to your kit, but it probably wouldn't exceed the new value.

Gerald McDonald
February 14, 2003, 04:44 PM
I kind of thought it would be in the 200-250 range. It has the fixed sightsand is a percussion lock and probably hasnt had a couple of dozen shots fired. (the Browning gets the abuse) No dents or scratches, I may very well just keep it as I have found if I have any misgivings about getting rid of a gun I usually end up regretting the sale or trade.

A blackpowder shop in Granbury Tx called Fort Commanche built them as kinda of a starter gun for people wanting something distinctive but still affordable. He would build around four at a time. The shops owner is a guy named Taylor Anderson and he specializes in building everything from early Jager's up thru his latest period handbuilt which was an 1817 common rifle. He also makes a Gemmer style Sharps that is a beaut. Takes a heavy octagon barrel Sharps replica, restocks in curly maple with a schnabel forearm and a nickle silver crescent buttplate, cuts the barrel back to about twenty inches and adds carbine sights.

If you ever see a cannon, rifle or pistol labeled Anderson Arms your looking at one of his.

Gerald

If you enjoyed reading about "Value of a Lyman GP" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!