What's the next best thing to a 60?

PDA

mattz357
June 30, 2004, 07:23 PM
I just picked up a 642 and I really like it. I am looking at the model 60, but I think it's "too similar" to my 642 (despite obvious differences). What model is similar, i.e. all stainless construction, relatively short barrel (under 4"), shrouded ejector, etc.?

Also what does it mean for the barrel to be "pinned," and what do all the extentions mean on model numbers (Model XX-2, XX-3, XX-4)? Thanks again!

If you enjoyed reading about "What's the next best thing to a 60?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Majic
June 30, 2004, 08:44 PM
The stainless steel version of the M642 is the M640.
The dash (-) numbers shows that there has been some engineering changes made to the handgun.

Pic of a M640:
http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=20007726

mattz357
June 30, 2004, 08:56 PM
I'm aware of the similarities between the 640 and the 642, but this time I'm looking for a DA/SA. I really like the 60, but it's so similar to what I already have I wondered what else was available. Thanks!

Deuce
June 30, 2004, 09:24 PM
If I'm readin' you right, you either want a 2" 686 (6 or 7-shot ... although, I'm guessin' they only make a 7-shot anymore) or a 2" 629 (if you can find it ... I think it's one of those deals that's not on the S&W website ... but, I've seen it ... if I had money to burn I'd've bought it).

I own a 5" 629, 4" 686, and a 3" 60 ... all with hi-viz sights and hogue wood grips ... very nice set. Having said that, I just picked up a Taurus 450ul 20oz .45lc ... and it's awesome!:D Fits my hand great ... as a result, I'm about 100x more accurate with it than any J-frame I've ever owned (I have XXL hands). Recoil with cowboy loads is negligable ... although, I've gotta find a way to get loads with a better crimp ... the 5th bullet walks out on me.:mad:

BTW, S&W makes a real nice 1911 for $700.;)

Majic
June 30, 2004, 09:37 PM
Well there are J-frames, K-frames, and L-frames. You have to narrow the field down a little besides just a DA/SA revovler, SS, 4 inches or under, and a shroud.
About what frame size revolver are you looking for?

mattz357
June 30, 2004, 09:42 PM
I'm thinking midsize, which I assume to be the K frame. I've already got my snub (J frame) and my full size (King Cobra), so I'd like to get one in each size before I start doubling up. Thanks!!!

Majic
June 30, 2004, 09:49 PM
Well a King Cobra is a medium framed revolver (they have been made in 2 inchers also)..
For a S&W your have the L-frames (M686) for the full shrouded medium frame. The M66, a K-frame, doesn't have the full shroud, but other than that fit's in your catergory.
Ruger has the GP-100 and Taurus has a few models that fit also.

mattz357
June 30, 2004, 10:05 PM
Wow, the King Cobra is only a medium frame? I guess maybe I should start by asking what the technical definitions are of the J, K and L frames then. I'm pretty stuck on S&W for this one, but the 686 is a little bigger than I was thinking. Also, if the barrel is short enough, a full underlug isn't necessary, but a shroud is "preferred." Thanks again!!!

Majic
June 30, 2004, 10:13 PM
The Anaconda was Colt's last large frame revolver.
J-frame is S&W's small frame today
K-frame is the medium frame
L-frame is the improved medium frame (just slightly bigger in certain areas)
N-frame is the large frame
X-frame is the extra large frame of the M500.

mattz357
June 30, 2004, 10:19 PM
The King Cobra and Anaconda take the same grips, would that not make them the same size? Does anyone have a K/L side by side pic? Is the 686 the only L frame? So much to learn, so little time. :) Thanks for all the help!

Majic
June 30, 2004, 10:43 PM
The Anaconda and the King Cobra share the same grip frame size so you don't have to have overly large hands to control the Anaconda. The frames are are different as one is larger than the other.
For the S&W the K-frame and the L-frame share the same grips. The N-frame grips aren't much larger than the K/L-frame grips and can be made to fit them.
There are several L-frames, M686, M586 (686 blued), M681 (686 with fixed sights), M581 (681 blued), M696 (5 shot .44sp). Then you have the Ti and Sc lightweight models out today.
Go to the S&W website. Search out all the .357mags and you will see all they have to offer new. Other models have been discontinued over time, but you caould probably find pics those on the auction sites.

Standing Wolf
July 1, 2004, 09:53 PM
The next best thing to a pre-agreement Smith & Wesson model 60 is a holster from http://www.mitchrosen.com

If you enjoyed reading about "What's the next best thing to a 60?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!