cookies?

PDA

rms/pa
July 1, 2004, 08:03 AM
dummie user here,

lately i have had some difficulties with adware cookies on my slow elderly machine. P166/WIN95c/56k modem
so i got spybot cleaned up and changed my settings so it asks for permission to put cookies on. now on this site i get the permission popup every click i make, arrgh

option 1 get newer machine: not likely , wife is on disability and i am down to 16 hrs per week after my heart attack. cash is tight.

any hope of wandering off to a cookie free alternate universe, or a free tech fix?

what effect can i expect from changing my settings to a" no to all "status?

rms/pa

If you enjoyed reading about "cookies?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
tyme
July 6, 2004, 07:39 PM
You do not want to use IE.
You *really* do not want to use Win95 and IE 5.5.
You're not the only one using Win95 and an old version of IE, but you ought to assume that your computer has been hacked. I don't think there's any way to secure windows95, even if you run firefox.

About cookies, though, there is no good reason to ask for confirmation on all cookies. Either turn cookies off (and watch many web sites break), or leave them on. Cookies do not install adware on your machine. It's mostly activex that does that.

You could try using firefox rather than internet explorer. The default firefox settings should work fine. I don't know if it'll run on win95, though. The firefox website says it requires win98 or above.
http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

If you enjoyed reading about "cookies?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!