ASTRA 3000 Falcon

PDA

TRADEMARK
July 1, 2004, 07:00 PM
Hello:
I was given a mint condition ASTRA 3000 Falcon. It has two sets of barrels and two set of clips. One set for .380 and the other 32 ACP. Original box and manual. Both, barrels and clips serial #, matches pistol (CIRCA 1950).
I have several concerns I kindly ask you to clarify:
a) Quality/Reliability/ Value of the gun

b) Can be safely feeded with modern factory ammo? FMJ or JHP?

c) Some minor parts and both 32 acp are nickel plated. Gun Scrubber or similar can be used without damage?

Thanks for your cooperation.:)

If you enjoyed reading about "ASTRA 3000 Falcon" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Gordon
July 2, 2004, 01:12 AM
What a nice old weird gun! Worth $400, I'd say in 90% or better. Should be safe for regular factory ammo. You'll have to see if it feeds hollow points. I like these kinda things!

WonderNine
July 2, 2004, 02:12 AM
I wonder how it works with the same breech.

Wil Terry
July 2, 2004, 02:13 AM
Oh boy, you got a jewel there for sure. With regular 32ACP or 380ACP ammunition it should work like a champ.
I regularly shoot two ASTRA pistols and they've never given me a moments problem. One has had nearly 7000 rounds put through it in a bit over three years.
DO NOT FORGET: gun cleaning chemicals are designed to remove copper, lead, and other assorted crap from guns. They can just as well remove nickle as it is just another metal to them. So, I use regular HOPPES for cleaning plated pistols and then wipe 'em bone dry with paper towels. Only a drop or two of gun oil in the right place is sufficient.
Now you get out there and shoot those pistols and give us a report on them, you hear me!!!

mfree
July 2, 2004, 09:25 AM
Most of the gun cleaners you're worried about remove copper as a feature. Nickel isn't susceptible to those, but the trouble arises when the cleaner gets under the nickel to the copper "glue" layer. When that happens, the nickel can chip or peel.

TRADEMARK
July 2, 2004, 10:10 AM
Many thanks all of you for your answers. After I try it at the range, I`ll let you know how performed.
Thanks again;)

Jim K
July 2, 2004, 05:58 PM
Just a note on the case head question. The .32ACP is semi-rimmed and has a rim diameter of .356; the .380 is rimless and has a rim diameter of .373. They are close enough that the .380 size breech face and extractor can be made to work with both.

Jim

If you enjoyed reading about "ASTRA 3000 Falcon" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!