When to change snap caps?

PDA

RicVa
July 2, 2004, 07:45 AM
My latest pistol purchase (CZ Rami - love it) came with a bunch of snap caps. When do I need to change the snap caps? How many trigger pulls can one take before losing effectiveness? A bunch of them came with the Rami, so I might as well use them.

If you enjoyed reading about "When to change snap caps?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Walt Sherrill
July 2, 2004, 08:50 AM
There is no set number...

Just watch the "primer" on the snap cap. When it starts to get seriously indented -- which will allow overtravel of the firing pin -- replace it.

You'll be surprised how quickly snap caps -- even the good ones -- can wear out. (But its still cheaper than firing live ammo, if all you want to do is speed trigger breakin.)

Note: while most center-fire handguns don't generally require the use of a snap cap, the CZ semi-auto pistols, because of their firing pin retention system, do -- and you're doing the right thing to use snap caps with the RAMI.

I dry-fired my original 75B Military thousands of times without a problem, but busted the roll pin in my functionally similar 40B in a few hundred strokes.

Some of the newest CZs have doubled roll pins, and that might be the case with the RAMI; if so, a busted firing pin retention roll pin is much, much less likely.

If you enjoyed reading about "When to change snap caps?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!