Astra 400 Why not?

PDA

Josey
July 3, 2004, 12:38 AM
OK. We know these will digest almost any 9MM type ammunition on the market. Why were they simply dropped from production? Would anybody even THINK about trying to make such a pistol in todays legal environment? It seems like the ULTIMATE SHTF pistol. The Count done good.

If you enjoyed reading about "Astra 400 Why not?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jercamp45
July 3, 2004, 08:22 AM
and I fell for the many types off ammo...hook, line and sinker....
the 9X19's did not head space right and kept breaking my firing pin!!!! The 38 auto was tough to find...I even ran some some Super's in it, blessed be the ignorance of youth...I would not trust old Spanish steel that way now.
Now I say...buy what you want, spare pistols and parts..and alot of mags and ammo. I'd rather have an ammo supply that I trust to go 'bang' and knew where the Point Of Impact was rather that load up some freshly found from who know's where and have my trusty survival tool rendered useless with a busted firing pin......
But we all have our choices...
Jercamp45

Jim K
July 4, 2004, 09:28 PM
The Astra Model 400 was made for one and only one cartridge, the 9mm Largo. Period. If anything else fits and works, it is coincidence and not to be counted on or touted as an advantage.

That being said, the 400 is a good gun, and reliable. The Astra marked ones are high quality and extremely rugged. They are blowback, though, and racking the slide is difficult, plus firing the gun feels like hitting a baseball with a cracked bat.

Some copies made during the Spanish Civil War should be left to collectors.

Another good gun is the Model 600, made in 9mm Parabellum only on a German contract. They are as good as the Model 400, but shorter and lighter and of course in a much more usable caliber.

The short-lived Model 800 Condor was an exposed hammer version of the Model 600; some were imported in the 1960s but are collector's items now.

Jim

If you enjoyed reading about "Astra 400 Why not?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!