New Bersa Thunder .380 Owner

PDA

The_Shootist
July 3, 2004, 07:28 PM
Stopped into my favorite gunshop this aft just to buy some ammo but spotted an all black Bersa Thunder for $209 and thought..."what the hell".
Bought it on the spot, based on what some of the guys at the local range have said and also all the favorable comments I seem to read about it on a variety of boards.

Now, some newbie questions:

1) Picked up some boxes of Cor-Bon to run through it tommorrow (along
with some FMJ for plinking). Is Cor-Bon the way to go as a carry round
or are there better options?

2) How do you guys carry it? Seems a tad too large for pocket carry but
would likely just disappear in an IWB type carry.

3) Does anybody carry a spare mag (or two) when out and about with it?
If so, what do you carry the mags in? I suspect a standard 9mm round
dual mag pouch will do but maybe needlessly bulky. Any suggestions?

I'm really looking forward to carrying and test-firing this one tommorrow given all the good comments on accuracy/reliability etc I've seen.

If you enjoyed reading about "New Bersa Thunder .380 Owner" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
horge
July 3, 2004, 08:18 PM
Hi :)
Congratulations on the new tool.
I only recently started carrying mine.

1. Cor-Bon has its fans. Too pricey for me on this side of the big puddle.
I pack Remington Golden Saber 102 gr JHP's.
Here is a cartridge performance table (of manufacturers' claims and
independent tester results) that might be of some use... or at least
entertainment:
.380 ACP Cartridge Performance (http://www.geocities.com/bersa_thunder/cartridges.html)

2. I carry IWB, 2:00 or nearly Mexican (12 high noon, right over the 'engenderment'),
though my physique is mine, and yours will dictate what's best for you
with regard to comfort, concealment and accesibility.
A lot of people like to carry it in the small of the back. I'm a fairly small guy
living in the tropics. Get a VERY good holster --offering reliable retention
and good, quick indexing of the fingers.

3. I carry one spare mag in a DIY mag pouch (sewn cloth) IWB left (maybe
10:30?). Just for peace of mind, I guess...
;)

hth
Please visit the BERSA Thunder 380 site linked-to below.

horge

Lobotomy Boy
July 3, 2004, 09:17 PM
It's been a long time since anyone started an "I just got a Bersa .380" thread. Good to see it.

I hadn't shot mine for awhile but picked up a box of the new WWB the other day so I brought it with to the range. I'd picked up a new CZ75B, and it seems like that was all I had been shooting for about a month. When I got to the range it was like I'd never stopped shooting the gun. If anything, it seems like I was shooting it better then ever. I burned through the 100 rounds far too quickly.

I'll probably keep shooting the CZ more than the Bersa because ammo is half again as expensive for .380 over 9mm (10.96/100 vs. 16.96/100), but I doubt I'll go another month between range trips with the Bersa.

MICHAEL T
July 4, 2004, 01:12 AM
Welcome to world of Bersa . Lets see CorBon should work fine but will have a bit of slap to them . I carry the Rem GS 102gr in mine . CorBon has new power ball in 380 released last week .That said I think 70gr bullet is a little light. Pro mags make mags for Bersa about 1/2 the cost of factory no finger rest. I have 2 and mine have worked perfect,others say their junk. I carry my mags in a lock back knife seath You know the black ones you buy at gun shows for couple of bucks. Mine holds 2 mags. You can carry in pocket maybe Don t know of pocket holster but here is what I do Go to wally world get a cheap tri fold wallet with velco closer In sert pistol in center adjust to fit $3 pocket holster Not the best buts cuts down on printimg, and can be used with most any small pistols, have used with my Bersa ,PPK/S and snub 38. Many companys have IWB holsters for Bersa. Thats about it enjoy your new pistol.

Brigrat
July 4, 2004, 01:06 PM
My wife and I (well mostly my wife) have a Bersa Thunder 380. I had the chance recently to fire it into bare gelatin (work related ammo testing). Without having any data in front of me, I will share my general impressions:

All hollow point ammo that was fired (Golden Saber, and Gold Dot IIRC) penetrated less than 10 inches.

The only ammo that even reached 12 inches of penetration was the one FMJ we fired, which in this case was Winchester White box Target loads.

If you are interested in more detailed results, I will contact the vendor who did our testing to see if, or when I can share them.

I am a penetration nut, so for us, it is FMJ only. If I was looking for a reduced penetration loading though, I suppose that the Cor-Bon, or any other hollow point would be fine. I guess with 380, you either get expansion, or penetration, but not both!

kokapelli
July 4, 2004, 03:27 PM
Brigrat: Did you have a cloth barrier in front of the gelatin?

In the gelatin tests found on horge's website (a couple of posts back), some of the JHP loads did reach 10+ inches when fired into clothed gelatin.

In the KelTec P-380 gelatin test done by the "stoppingpower.net" group, the Gold Dot expanded and penetrated 10.5". The "stoppingpower.net" group uses a denim cloth barrier on the front end of the gelatin.

The following are the gelatin test results from "stoppingpower.net" when shot from a P-3AT

Corbon .380 90 gr. +P
Pen 16.50+" Exp N/A (left the block, not recovered)

Speer .380 90 gr. Gold Dot
Pen 10.50" Exp .476

Federal .380 90gr. Hydra Shok
Pen 16.50" Exp .356

Notice that both the Corbon and the Hydra Shock penetrated more than 16.5"! I suspect neither of those two loads expanded!

If you enjoyed reading about "New Bersa Thunder .380 Owner" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!