conisidering a Mark II purchse. but which one???

PDA

FW
July 3, 2004, 08:48 PM
I've decided I need a Ruger Mark II. I wanted something with adjustable sights and a solid feel. I had it narrowed down to a Mark II 5.5" bull barrel, but haven't decided on blue or ss.

A local shop has the blued version for $285 and said they could get a stainless version for $340. To make things more complicated, they had a 6 7/8" stainless slab side competition model for $399. I handled it and liked it. The competition model has the fancy wood grips and comes with scope rings.

I originally didn't wan't to spend close to $400, but I do like the competition model. Ruger lists the individual price for the grips at $49 and the rings at $72. I would like to mount some sort of scope in the futre, so it seems saving money is not a reason to not get the competition model.

The only problem I see with the competition model is that the fancy grips only allow it to be fired right handed. I would only know for sure after having it, but I would possibly replace the fancy grips with something that allows it to be more ambidextrous. It still seems like a great deal though.

Any help with this decision would be appreciated.

If you enjoyed reading about "conisidering a Mark II purchse. but which one???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Rival
July 3, 2004, 09:08 PM
Have you considered Model MK512GCL (http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=179)? This is the one I have. Nice grips, adjustable sights, 5.5" slab bull barrel, and it is drilled and tapped for scope base (it has three holes drilled in the reciever so you can easily install something like this (http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/images/Products/248L.gif) on top). Everything you want, and falls into your price range.

Josey
July 3, 2004, 09:28 PM
I am considering the US Shooting Sports model. Hi-Viz front sight, stainless steel and it helps fund the USA olympic team.

c_yeager
July 4, 2004, 02:26 AM
They are all very nice and all work quite well. Unless you have a REALLY specific purpose in mind (competition) i would just get the one that feels and looks right to YOU. You really cant go wrong with the Mark IIs

Shmackey
July 4, 2004, 02:51 AM
I would choose based on balance, all else being equal. The 6-7/8" model can be a bit much to shoot one-handed all day.

DHart
July 4, 2004, 04:28 AM
The best MkII may well be the new MkIII that was just announced. The 22/45 thumb safety switch always buged me because it felt sharp and poorly shaped for the human thumb... but the grip feel if pretty nice.

In the end I was won over by the Browning Buckmark Classic Plus... what a magnificent pistol... feels amazing in the hand and shooting it is so soft, it feels like a pellet pistol... beautiful to look at and a great pleasure to shoot.

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/category.asp?value=006B

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/detail.asp?value=006B&cat_id=051&type_id=361

standingbear
July 4, 2004, 09:09 AM
you can put the flat plastic grips on the comp model if you're a lefty,there is also a wide variety of grip panels available on the web.I found that mounting a scope or redot,its best to get the comp model or 1 that is factory drilled and tapped with the rings and base included.ive tried a few bases for a blued model and ended up scratching the top to the point of sending them back to ruger for rebluing..even had 1 that was ruined cause the guy doing the drilling used the wrong tools and the holes werent driled in the right place.

I've got the comp model and love it,the only problem I have is which optical device to put(or keep) on it.red-dots are great for lowlight but one needs the highest setting to see the dot during bright sunlight and that wears the battery down faster,unless a sunshade can be attached somehow..and the batteries are pricy(round here,hard to find too)

the scopes are great for me,just need a wider field a view.A 30mm tube with a 2-4x magnification would be great along with an optional lighted recticle.the adjustable sights on the gun are perfect for irons for me,Ive painted the front with orange sight paint and the rear a green.the stainless makes more a heavier and more durable finishwise gun too.its all personal preferance.

check the brownelles website for add ons,theres plenty custom gadjetry to put on these.

Graystar
July 4, 2004, 09:44 AM
Have you considered Model MK512GCL? That's what I was going to suggest. It's a great looking gun and has everything you need...and nothing you don't. Forget about the Competition...it's not worth the money. Stick to a 5.5" barrel. I have a stainless MkII but that MK512GCL looks so good I'd love to have one.

Hogue makes a few grips for the MkII. Their original, ambidextrous grip has a good feel.

dairycreek
July 5, 2004, 01:58 PM
It has been used mostly as a woods gun and a farm gun shooting mice, rats, gophers, etc. It has been deadly accurate for that purpose and, based on personal experience, I recommend it highly. Good shooting;)

Pilot
July 5, 2004, 02:35 PM
I would also suggest sticking with the 5.5 inch bull or slab side barrel. I have the MK II in 5.5 bull barrel and it balances much better than the 6 7/8 barrel. I was shooting it over the weekend with a friend and his slab side 6 7/8 in. barrel. He liked my 5.5 better. I imagine the slab side 5.5 is even better. I have a 4 in. bull barrel 22/45 and like that also.

Jeff Timm
July 5, 2004, 02:42 PM
I have a 5.5" Bull Barrel, MK II, and as much as I like it, I shoot it less than I did the old Mk. I standard I traded in on it.

I suspect I would get more use out of a base model Mk III with a set of small adjustable sights installed.

Geoff
Who fires a .22 Colt Conversion unit a lot as well. :cool:

DHart
July 5, 2004, 02:50 PM
I retract my comment about considering the new MkIII models... I don't think the extra "lawyer proofing" gizmos would appeal to me.. especially a magazine disconnect feature. Stick with the Mk.II models or the Browning Buckmarks.

Cortland
July 5, 2004, 02:52 PM
I have a Mark II 6 7/8" Target model and a Mark II Gov't Competition model. They're both great pistols. I've left the target model "stock" and tricked out the Gov't Comp model with all new internals, red dot, compensator, etc. I like the balance of the long tapered target barrel of the target model the best, but if I had to pick a favorite it'd definitely be the Gov't Competition.

Ruger sells left handed Gov't Comp grip panels.

The Mark III is a mixed bag. Despite its improvements (including a conventional magazine release), it also has an internal lock and magazine disconnect.

red-dots are great for lowlight but one needs the highest setting to see the dot during bright sunlight and that wears the battery down faster,unless a sunshade can be attached somehow..and the batteries are pricy(round here,hard to find too)

Most red-dots come with a screw-on polarizing filter; it's basically sunglasses for you red dot. With the polarizing filter on my red dot, even on a very bright day I set it for 8 or so (out of 11).

oldfella
July 5, 2004, 05:23 PM
My guns come-and-go over the years, but I will not part with my Mark II 6 7/8" Gvmnt Target - it's a pleasure to shoot.

If you enjoyed reading about "conisidering a Mark II purchse. but which one???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!