Say hello to History Channels R. Lee Emery!

PDA

QuikClik
February 14, 2003, 05:02 AM
Many of us have caught some of his History Channel antics on his program called "Mail Call". For me and I hope many of you it is one of the few programs left on television worth watching. The host is none other than R. Lee Emery, Viet Nam vet amongst many other credits.

His website is: http://www.rleeermey.net/ which has everything from GI calendars to movies and t-shirts, his own forum and even a sound bank of band music and cadence calls you can copy! Definitely worth watching.......

A big part of his program is his e-mail requests. "Ask and you shall receive" which is any information, trivia or most anything GI will get his attention and probably your answer. E-mail him at: mailcall@digitalranch.tv

if you don't respond to this post....... turn up your speaker volume and click on this sound file: http://www.rleeermey.net/sounds/dirtbag.wav hee hee

as R. Lee Emery would say..... "NOW DROP AND GIVE ME 25!

p.s. If there is sufficient response to this thread I will personally forward it to him with an invitation to join the High Road!

If you enjoyed reading about "Say hello to History Channels R. Lee Emery!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
NewShooter78
February 14, 2003, 07:22 AM
Since you haven't gotten any responses, I'll gladly be the first. We here at The High Road have sung Mr. Ermey's praises many times in the not so distant past. His show is great, and its the only show that I try and watch every week. I suggest you do a search here using his name and Mail Call and you will see just how much positive things we have said about him.

Spoonman
February 14, 2003, 07:38 AM
I'm with you, QuikClik. The old gunny is a blast, ain't he? I want to be just like him when I grow up. (or maybe Jeff Cooper).

Thanks for the website heads-up, too.

Clif

BigG
February 14, 2003, 07:40 AM
I've been a fan of R. Lee Ermey since Siege of Firebase Gloria and enjoy all of his work I've had the pleasure to see. He's one of the few people in Hollywood that's got his head screwed on straight.

Boats
February 14, 2003, 08:55 AM
I emailed asking what "R" stood for. I haven't heard back. My guess is Reginald.

Dannyboy
February 14, 2003, 09:12 AM
p.s. If there is sufficient response to this thread I will personally forward it to him with an invitation to join the High Road!

Send it to him anyway. It would be great to have him here.

geegee
February 14, 2003, 09:23 AM
Whoever thought of giving him his own show is a genius! :D It's an unapologetic "guys show" that combines great iformation on broad topics as well as "factoids", all in a very entertaining format. I watch it every chance I get. geegee

DonP
February 14, 2003, 11:25 AM
He was in town for a project with one of our clients and told us about the Mail Call program before it started airing.

He said he's got the best job in the world. He gets to hang around with active duty trops and try out almost everyt new pieces of hardware they have. He is a folk hero on a scale of Paul Bunyan witht he troops. For every round you see him fire on camera there were another twenty or so , "just for practice" he says.

Hey, he gets to play with everything from large mortars to muskets to Katana's. My favorite was the 1919 Browning and Ma Deuce episodes. You got the feeling they had to pry his hands off the spade trigger.

In person he's very impressive at about 6 foot 1 or so and with, as he says himself, "eyebrows that can kill". He's a great guy and can handle a martini or six with ease.

I'm making my grandkids watch the show so they have at least one decent American role model.

Don P.

ojibweindian
February 14, 2003, 11:44 AM
Hope he comes over. "Mail Call" is a great show, and I love the movies he's acted in.

coonan357
February 14, 2003, 11:50 AM
I don't have cable or dish , but I saw him on cable at my Former GF house and thought this guy isn't no actor , I think he is kind of cool , and you should invite him over here anyways . we need someone to straighten us out at times .. :D :what:

AZTOY
February 14, 2003, 11:54 AM
Mail Call rocks:D

cheygriz
February 14, 2003, 12:18 PM
I'm a big fan or R. Lee!!!!

MitchSchaft
February 14, 2003, 12:25 PM
I share the same sentiment as the rest of the fellas. I almost had a chance of meeting him in person!
When I was in USMC bootcamp a couple years ago in San Diego, he visited MRP. Not a month later, I was moved to MRP and just missed him:banghead:. If I was gonna get injured, I wished it were a month earlier:neener:.

Calamity Jane
February 14, 2003, 12:39 PM
R. Lee is cool! :cool: R. Lee, if you're reading this, come on over to The High Road! We'd love to have you!

rock jock
February 14, 2003, 12:58 PM
Mail Call is a great show and Mr. Ermey is a fine actor showing a good bit of diversity in his characters. The fact that he did not get nominated for, much less receive an Oscar for his performance in FMJ is a travesty.

gburner
February 14, 2003, 12:58 PM
I admire and respect everything I've seen or read about this old warhorse.
He needs to be our ambassador to France.

"SHUT YER QUICHE HOLES AND LISTEN UP,
YOU SLUG EATIN', NO SHOWERING, MOTHER-LOVIN', SPASTIC PIECES OF WHIMPERING FRANCO TOENAIL CHEESE. YOU WILL GET YOUR DIPLOMATIC
HEADS SCREWED ON STRAIGHT AND SUPPORT THE US OF A OR I WILL PERSONALLY ADMINISTER A GROUP HIGH COLONIC TO EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU FROG EATERS IN THE FORM OF MY 11 1/2 EEE COMBAT BOOT. DO I MAKE MYSELF CLEAR??????"

'oui, monsoir'

"SOUND OFF LIKE YA' GOTTA PAIR, YOU PITIFUL EXCUSE FOR GERMAN CHEW TOYS!!!"

"OUI, OUI, MONSOIR GUNNY!!!!"

"THAT'S WHAT I THOUGHT YOU SAID. JEEZE,
WHAT A BUNCH OF GRABASSTIC, SPIT SWAPPIN' NANCY BOYS."

Schuey2002
February 14, 2003, 12:59 PM
If your reading this, come on in and join the fun, R. Lee.;)

"Where do you think your going, Maggot !?!" - R. Lee :D :D

pbman
February 14, 2003, 01:27 PM
I love the show.

Correia
February 14, 2003, 02:14 PM
R. Lee rocks. Mail Call is the best show on TV.

I've been a fan since the first time I saw FMJ. Siege of Firebase Gloria is also a great one.

My favorite quote though was when he was talking about Barbera Streisand, when he said that "Her alligator mouth is outrunning her hummingbird brain."

Probably one of the only actors I wouldn't mind meeting in person.

QuikClik
February 14, 2003, 02:22 PM
ok NewShooter78 and all that have responded, the following is the e-mail sent to R. Lee Emery

to: mailcall@digitalranch.tv

Cc: NewShooter78

subject: The People Speak!

The people speak R. Lee Emery..... check this thread I started on "The High Road"....... http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9003
R. McLaughlin, aka "QuikClik"
Roseburg, Oregon

the following was an immediate acknowledgement:

Thank you for sending in your question to "Mail Call". We will consider using it for an upcoming episode. If we choose to use it, we will notify you in order to get your full name and hometown.

If you would like to contact R. Lee Ermey directly, please visit his website at www.rleeermey.com.

Keep watching "Mail Call" on the History Channel -- Sundays at 10:00pm EST/PST.

Semper Fi! Carry On!

NewShooter78
February 14, 2003, 02:47 PM
Thanks QuikClik, we really do love R. Lee Ermey's show. Can't get enough of him. I've been trying to come up with a question to email in, but nothing good ever comes to mind. I would love to see him on this forum. I wonder what kind of grief he could cause the mods. :evil:

50 Shooter
February 14, 2003, 06:08 PM
Boats,
The " R " stands for Ronald.

Great show, my wife bought me the motivational figure for X-mas. She was also the one that found out what the " R " stands for.

DeltaElite
February 14, 2003, 06:32 PM
R Lee is the best.
I bet he likes the 10mm too. ;)

Calamity Jane
February 14, 2003, 06:49 PM
ROFL at gburner's take on an R. Lee ambassadorship to France.

:D :p :D :p

I could hear R. Lee saying it in my mind as I was reading!!

spacemanspiff
February 14, 2003, 06:55 PM
how about this....whenever one of us send a question off to Mail Call, report about it here so we can know whos really asking the questions we see answered on the show.

heres the question i just sent in:

Since the miniguns that are attached to vehicles and aircraft require great amounts of power to operate, does the military have any plans for other heavy weapons that can be operated if the vehicle/aircraft is disabled?

Peetmoss
February 14, 2003, 07:00 PM
R. LEE is awsome.

beckrodgers
February 14, 2003, 07:03 PM
can anybody tell us what happened to the animated Ermy on the website giving the opening spill that was so good. I got to see it 2x. Haven't been able to get it to come back up. Thanks

Coltdriver
February 14, 2003, 07:20 PM
R Lee is a great actor and a fine role model.

Mail Call rocks. There is nothing better than watching a fellow afficianado blast away with a 50BMG and lovin it like R Lee does.

I never miss Mail Call.

Sean Smith
February 14, 2003, 08:25 PM
Since the miniguns that are attached to vehicles and aircraft require great amounts of power to operate, does the military have any plans for other heavy weapons that can be operated if the vehicle/aircraft is disabled?

What kind of grabasstic unorganized question is that? :evil:

vertigo7
February 14, 2003, 08:59 PM
R. Lee Ermey for President. 'Nuff said.

vertigo7

QuikClik
February 14, 2003, 09:11 PM
As a new member I committed the sin of failing to use "SEARCH" to see if there was a previous thread saluting R. Lee Ermery for which I will do so in the future.

Via SEARCH I found there to be 46 references to him and/or Mail Call with one in particular that was started by FPrice on 1/14/03 with 50 replies and 1355 views! The thread is: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3897&highlight=Mail+Call

3 gun
February 14, 2003, 11:21 PM
Great show! I don't get to see it often being a 3rd shifter. They had a 6 hour block on a few weeks back that had me glued to my seat. It would be great to have R.Lee on the board.

Detritus
February 15, 2003, 12:40 AM
i'd love to have him on board here!!

been a fan ever since i saw him in "Full Metal Jacket" and once, even got to see him give a speech at a function at Quantico (friend of the family is a medically retired master gunny, got invited, and asked me to go with him) i was both shellshocked and in complete Awe!!

alan
February 15, 2003, 01:00 AM

Seems like a reasonable action.

ahadams
February 15, 2003, 02:44 AM
now I gotta admit that I'm just a disabled old soldier (my younger brother is the family member associated with Uncle Sam's Misguided Children) but I have to admit that the first time I saw the movie one thing that kept coming to me over and over was "this guy isn't just an actor"

another was "that was they way I wanted to cuss when I was a SGT!".

The only guy I've ever seen who could cuss more fluently than R.L.E. was an Army warrant officer who'd been in so long he was reputed to have been one of the road guards at the Crucifixion.

Gary H
February 15, 2003, 10:41 AM
Funny how out of six, or seven billion lost souls, there are always a few unique ones. From "Firebase Gloria" to "Mail call"..you gotta love him.

When Saddam is cornered, I suggest R.L.E be given a megaphone and go at it until Saddam decides to do the right thing and go room temperature.

QuikClik
February 16, 2003, 02:01 AM
wow..... just finished watching : R. Lee Ermey in a dramatic role playing Sheriff Olmstead in "Switchback" on TBS tonight - super performance!

and my personal apology to all and especially R. Lee Ermey himself for my blunder in mispelling his last name, a last name that will go down in the history books under
"E R M E Y" and let's not forget that fellow maggots!

MitchSchaft
February 16, 2003, 02:16 AM
It's weird that I did not notice that was mispelled. :confused:

chaim
February 16, 2003, 03:00 AM
Full Metal Jacket came out a year or two before I joined the Army. I joined the reserves while in HS so I got to go to drills for about 9 months before basic. Curious about what lay in front of me I started asking guys in the unit about it and uniformly the answer was "watch the first half of Full Metal Jacket". In 1989, that was Army Basic Training, minus the actual hitting. I've been a fan ever since. I own the movie on VHS and soon will on DVD and I usually only bother with the best part- the first half.

I'm posting this to get the count on this thread up so maybe it just might get his attention if forwarded. I would really love to see the Gunny on THR (even if he is a Jarhead:evil: ).

hansolo
February 16, 2003, 10:11 AM
As the son of the man who wrote "Battleground," "Hell is for Heroes," "Go for Broke," created the TV show "Combat!," and fought in the Battle of the Bulge(Robert Pirosh), please join The High Road! "Mail Call" is the BEST!:cuss:

Steve Pirosh

Ed Straker
February 16, 2003, 07:41 PM
I have the 'Motivational Figure' (Hilarious!), and the 'Were You About to Call Me an *******?' T-shirt (Also hilarious!)

QuikClik
February 17, 2003, 01:48 AM
Gunny Ermey's Mail Call tonight was up to par and maybe more. Grenades, L.A.P.E.S., dogtags (I thought that notch was for the teeth too...), pickle helmet, M.R.E.'s, combat cupcake and tunnel rats to wrap it up. Dammit Gunney, a half hour just ain't enuf!!!

click on this, dirtbag: http://www.rleeermey.net/sounds/dirtbag.wav :evil:

:neener: got an idea..... how do us little people make our voices hear by politicians? we blitz'em!!! I've already sent my e-mail so just maybe if he were to get 20, 30, 40, 50 or more he might get the idea......

his e-mail address is: mailcall@digitalranch.tv

include this thread in your message: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9003

If you enjoyed reading about "Say hello to History Channels R. Lee Emery!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!