Celebrating The 4th At The Range

PDA

ACP230
July 4, 2004, 11:17 AM
A bunch of us got together at the range yesterday to celebrate Independence Day. We hadn't shot together for a while, so it was time. The 4th provided a good, patriotic excuse.

Our wives cooked up a storm, so we ate before shooting much.
Barbecued pork, several salads, appetizers, chips, pop and my wife's Black Forest cake.

Guns we shot included two single-shot .22 rifles, a Bronco and an Ithaca 49. A raft of S&W revolvers, M18, M649, M28, M610. A Manurhin/Walther PP, and my Colt Combat Commander 9mm.

Big guns included two Reising SMGs, my 9mm Madsen M50 SMG, a buddy's newly purchased Searcy .470 double rifle, a Remington 788 Carbine in .308 and, dwarfing the rest, a buddy's blackpowder cannon.

We did a lot of general plinking, recyling missed clays from the trap range, and some informal sighting-in. At the end went man against man and two man teams against each other with pistols and subguns on steel plates. My 12 year-old did well with the Combat Commander on the plates. My 9mm ammo supply is somewhat depleted today but it was worth burning up a bunch of Olympic ball.

We shot for several hours. The range has a new cover since I was there last year and it was comfortable in the shade.

John Adams said the 4th should be celebrated with a lot of loud, festive stuff including "...illuminations, guns..." I think he'd have approved of our celebration.

God Bless America! Happy Fourth Of July!

If you enjoyed reading about "Celebrating The 4th At The Range" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
If you enjoyed reading about "Celebrating The 4th At The Range" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!