Gods & Generals

PDA

telewinz
February 14, 2003, 09:22 AM
Looks like a great Civil War Movie. Its about Stonewall Jackson.

If you enjoyed reading about "Gods & Generals" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ol' Badger
February 14, 2003, 11:53 AM
The title should be "GOD and his General" Stonewall was a GOD fearing man.

mini14jac
February 14, 2003, 12:41 PM
From what I have read, the movie is going to realistically present the deep faith of both generals and their men.
Christians are encouraged to go see the movie.
:cool:

Viking6
February 14, 2003, 12:43 PM
I just started reading the book by Jeff Shaara, son of Michael (?) Shaara, author of "Killer Angels". The book so far is seen through the eyes of jackson, Robert E. Lee and Joshua Chamberlain. Opens 21 Feb. a friend of mine was an extra in many scenes as a private with 20th Maine.

Don Gwinn
February 14, 2003, 02:33 PM
"Killer Angels" was one of the better books I've read. I hope this is as well done.

Correia
February 14, 2003, 02:51 PM
It was a really good book.

telewinz
February 14, 2003, 03:18 PM
I read Killer Angels also. it is one of the best books I've ever read about ANY war.

cookhj
February 14, 2003, 04:36 PM
a good friend of mine is in the movie, and i was slated to be in it but military obligations got in the way. i did, however, get a chance to go on set one day and help out. my friend talked to another reenactor that was in the movie with him, and the guy saw a preliminary screening and said that it was awesome. i can't wait to see it!

STW
February 14, 2003, 04:47 PM
As an aside:
American Heritage Magazine surveyed a groiup of historians a few years ago as to their favorite historical novel. Killer Angels was the number one pick.

4v50 Gary
February 14, 2003, 05:17 PM
Old Jack was a lemon sucking eccentric who'd sit on his horse with his right arm raised to the heavens. He believed that there was too much blood on the right side and that raising it would drain into the rest of his body.

Gettysburg might have been won if Ole Jack was (alive and) there but as National Park Service Ranger/Historian Ed Bearss says, "If Jacksonwas at Gettysburg, he'd stink," meaning cadavers aren't pleasant to the nose.

Shooter973
February 14, 2003, 05:27 PM
IThis movie is a Ted Turner production, one of the biggest liberals ever and a devout anti-Christian. Just for your information. I won't be seeing it!!!!!! I dislike Ted Turner that much. :fire:

Lone_Gunman
February 14, 2003, 07:41 PM
I was wondering when someone was going to bring the Ted Turner issue up.

A lot of people here have said they boycott Disney because of their stance on various political issues.

These same people should boycott anything associated with Ted Turner for the same reason.

But they probably won't. Its easier for grown men to boycott The Little Mermaid than a war movie featuring a lot of really cool guns.

Bainx
February 14, 2003, 07:51 PM
thank you for bringing my attention to exactly where it should be!
No, I won't be seeing this flick either thank you.

ReadyontheRight
February 14, 2003, 07:52 PM
You could pay for a different movie in the same theater and not give Ted Turner any more money.

Gods and Generals was a great book. I still have to read Killer Angels. I've got to see this movie, regardless of how much Ted Turner wants the UN to trample our rights. I'll be buying tickets for Kangaroo Jack or some other movie.

telewinz
February 14, 2003, 10:02 PM
I have done a great deal of reading about "Stonewall". He had a great deal in common with Patton, they both were motivated to hog the newspaper headlines, they both felt they WERE God's instrument on Earth and therefore used that to justify their relatively harsh & often times unnecessary cruel treatment of there troops. They both got the job done that lesser men could not have, but as human beings they were abject failures due to their hefty egos and insensitivity towards their fellow man (and I don't mean just the Yankees). A great many people hold a reverence for Jackson, in any perpective but the most narrow I feel Sherman or Longstreet were much better Generals and were decent human beings also.

Don Gwinn
February 14, 2003, 10:16 PM
Gary, in Killer Angels Longstreet tells a British observer that Jackson sat that way because of a wound in the right hand/arm that pained him when it collected too much blood. He said it was almost an unconscious gesture and Jackson hardly knew he was doing it. I don't know if that was real or Shaara's imagination. It was a masterful job of giving an idea of what those men must have thought and felt, but I'm not expert enough to know how realistic it was.

Anyway, I'll read Gods and Generals. The movie probably won't compare anyway.

sgtredleg
February 14, 2003, 11:57 PM
Iv'e read Michael Sharra's Killer Angels, and his son Jeff's Gods and Generals, Gone for Soldiers (Mexican War) and Last Full Measure (last half of the Civil War). All excellent reads.
Iv'e also seen the movie Gettysburg (Killer Angels) and thought it was accurate to the book and entertaining.
Such a quandry: I really want to watch the movie Gods and Generals, but alas, Ted Turner enters the equation.
Decisions, Decisions !:confused:

Gunner45
February 15, 2003, 03:29 AM
Aw come on guys, give the man a break. He did divorce Hanoi Jane after all. ..........................he can't be that bad.:D

Just Kidding.

Gunner45

4v50 Gary
February 15, 2003, 11:44 AM
Guys, Ted Turner produced the movie for one reason alone: the $. We're talking movie revenue, euro-dollars, VHS tapes, DVDs. A lot of the Civil War Re-enactors are debating the merits of watching it too.

Want to watch it but minimize his profits? Wait for the DVD and rent it and then invite a dozen buddies over to watch with you. I've got a friend who does that.

BTW Don, thanks for that tidbit. Never read that before and I'm not sure whether old Jack ever told anybody the reason.

ahenry
February 15, 2003, 03:26 PM
Thomas “Stonewall” Jackson got his name from making a stand “like a stonewall” at the Battle of 1st Manassas (http://www.nps.gov/mana/battlefield_history/morning.htm) (incorrectly called Bull Run). The cannon line near the trees in this picture is where he made his stand and approximately the number of cannon he had.

Sorry for the small picture and poor quality-I was limited by attachment size

NIGHTWATCH
February 16, 2003, 12:31 PM
This film is basically an expanded (fat budget) version of the film "Gettysburg" with the same director and some from the original cast. "Gettysburg" is a great movie. Im looking forward to seeing "Gods & Generals". :cool:

ReadyontheRight
February 16, 2003, 01:02 PM
I believe that this is the "prequel" to Gettysberg. The book discusses the lives and relationships between Jackson, Longstreet, Lee, etc. before the Civil War. They all went to West Point together and most of them commanded forces in Texas against Mexico. Also goes into personal details on issues like why Lee turned down the offer to command the Union Army.

Like I said earlier -- go see the movie, but buy tickets for a different movie.;) The money then goes to someone besides Ted Turner.

David Roberson
February 16, 2003, 03:16 PM
Nightwatch, the movie does have some of the same actors, but not all are playing the same characters. Stephen Lang, who plays Stonewall Jackson in the new movie, played George Pickett in "Gettysburg." Pickett is played by Bill Campbell in "Gods and Generals." Martin Sheen played Robert E. Lee in the first film; Robert Duvall plays him in this one, and Sheen is nowhere to be found. Tom Berenger played James Longstreet in the first film; now he's gone and Bruce Boxleitner is playing the role, perhaps with a less fake-looking beard than Berenger wore.

I'll be going to see it, too, although the Ted Turner angle is tough to handle. At least Turner apparently didn't have the film tamper with the substantial spiritual elements of the book. Perhaps making money is all that matters to him.

If you enjoyed reading about "Gods & Generals" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!