Ammo and reloads for HK USP .45 Tactical?

PDA

Nando Aqui
July 5, 2004, 08:33 AM
I have been using Sellier & Bellot 230-gr FMJ quite effectively (accuracy wise*) with my HK USP .45 Tactical. (The S&B .45s are under $9/50 at Natchez.)

* To me this means consistently holding 10-round 3" groups at 25-yards offhand - slow fire. (Have never shot a handgun from any sort of a rest, so I don't know what 'the gun' could do.)

Are there any other commercial ammo with which you have had good results? As far as reloading, what loads have worked best for your USP Tactical?

Thanks!

Alex

P.S. BTW, this has been asked at HKPRO.com, but no useful answers have been provided.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ammo and reloads for HK USP .45 Tactical?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
tc300mag1
July 5, 2004, 10:25 AM
Not out of a tactile but ihave had good luck with titegroup powder with 230 and 185 reiner bullets or berrys bullets .

This is out of a std USPF. 231 works out well to but i find it a lot dirtier than titegroup.

P0832177
July 5, 2004, 11:58 AM
I shoot both a compact and full size USP. I shoot my reloads, and I use Titegroup witha Mag Tech 230gr FMJ. It is balls on accuate. I have had good luck with Fiocchi, Mag Tech, WWB, and I have used up my USGI Match Hardball supply with them. It all works, and I think the Fiocchi is the dirtiest of the lot. But, it is serviceable.

boofus
July 5, 2004, 12:31 PM
I like the 230gr Remington Golden Sabres in my Mark 23. They should perform well in the Tactical too. I haven't shot any JHP ammo in it ever since I got my suppressor though, Winchester White Box is what the manufacturer recommended.

PO2Hammer
July 5, 2004, 01:32 PM
When I had a Tac, my most accurate load was Winchester 200 grain 'Winclean'. This is a truncated cone (flat point) bullet. In fact any of the flat point bullets with sharp shoulders seemed to be a little more accurate in any pistol with polygonal rifling like Glock or HK.

Nando Aqui
July 7, 2004, 11:41 PM
P02Hammer:

I looked up the "Winchester 200 grain 'Winclean'" and found "Winchester USA WinClean Ammunition 45 GAP 230 Grain Brass Enclosed Base". * (Midway USA, $14/box 50)

Is this what you were referring to, albeit with a different weight bullet?
Did you ever reload using these bullets?
If so, what brand bullet, and what powder?

* I have to admit: I don't even know whether GAP (Glock Automatic Pistol) is the same as .45 ACP. By the way, this 230 GAP WinClean has a muzzle velocity of 1020 fps and 427 ft-lb energy. Not shabby...

Thanks!!!
Alex

PO2Hammer
July 8, 2004, 12:01 AM
My mistake, the load I was refering to was Winchester 185 BEB winclean.
The 230 Winclean BEB is the same thing just heavier, I have not tried the heavier load.
.45 GAP is not the same as .45ACP.
.45ACP is also called .45 auto and a couple other names that escape me now.
.45 GAP is a new cartridge for the Glock 37.

Nando Aqui
July 8, 2004, 07:30 AM
P02Hammer:

Found that description (WinClean BEB) in .45 ACP, both 185 and 230 grain, at a couple of vendors, for around $14 - not bad.

According to the Winchester website:
185 gr = 910 fps, 340 ft-lb
230 gr = 835 fps, 356 ft-lb

For GAP:
230 gr = 875 fps, 391 ft-lb (Lower than as listed by the MidwayUSA website. Wonder why?)

As far as ‘GAP’ - Goes to show what happens if one doesn't keep up with the developments! I used to shoot the NRA three pistol matches (.22, .38, .45 ACP) and reload .38 and .45 as late as 25 years ago, and although I read about handguns regularly, including the Glock, somehow the GAP escaped my grasp. I guess I’ve been paying too much attention to rifle developments only… BTW, I no longer have my Colt Gold Cup Mark IV (wish I still had it!) but just my HK Tactical - in.45, that is.

Anyway, I believe I’ll try the WinClean. I also will look for this bullet configuration for reloads, and try both the 185 and 230 grains. Next will be a powder selection.

Thanks again!

PO2Hammer
July 8, 2004, 04:24 PM
One thing about Winclean, the brass has a larger flash hole than normal.
It's fine to reload, but may give slightly different results than 'normal' brass.
I really like winclean in auto calibers, very accurate, really clean burning and cleaning the bore afterwards is a breeze.
Winclean in .357 magnum is another story however, extreme muzzle flash/blast, exessive recoil. I only shoot it out of .357 carbines, really sizzles in a 16" barrel!

If you enjoyed reading about "Ammo and reloads for HK USP .45 Tactical?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!