Bradys forced to eat straight reauthorization

PDA

LAR-15
July 5, 2004, 09:52 PM
http://www.newsday.com/news/nationworld/nation/ny-usguns053881936jul05,0,7332146.story?coll=ny-nationalnews-headlines

If you enjoyed reading about "Bradys forced to eat straight reauthorization" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
boofus
July 5, 2004, 10:17 PM
I'd rather they eat sunset instead.

VaniB.
July 5, 2004, 10:40 PM
Beware!
I'm seeing a heck of a lot of this " the sky is falling" reporting going on in various newspapers and magazines through out the nation just in the last 2 weeks. It's designed to scare the public, and it's getting me worried.

July is critical. If we're going to get screwed the process is going to start in July. Starting tomorrow, Tuesday July 6th, Feinstein and the American people who will be calling and writing to our President to save them from us gun-nuts. THEY NOW HAVE THE NEXT 14 DAYS (3 work weeks)OF JULY TO GET THE PROCESS GOING, so it can be finalized and signed by September!

Standing Wolf
July 5, 2004, 10:54 PM
It's designed to scare the public, and it's getting me worried.

Relax. The leftist extremist so-called "assault weapons" ban isn't going to be rewritten and reenacted until after the election this November, when our elected misrepresentatives will no longer fear us.

carpettbaggerr
July 6, 2004, 12:40 AM
The parts, known as receivers, are crucial to the weapon's firing capabilities. Man, what an insightful article. :rolleyes:

Treylis
July 6, 2004, 05:41 AM
Man, what an insightful article.

Well, receivers are crucial. ;-)

GSB
July 6, 2004, 07:41 AM
The parts, known as receivers, are crucial to the weapon's firing capabilities.

I learn something new every day, it seems. On the other hand, you can't say the quote is inaccurate.

jpIII
July 6, 2004, 08:54 AM
NO it's not inaccurate,... just painfully obvious.

I guess it's an improvement from most articles put out about guns these days.:banghead:

shermacman
July 6, 2004, 09:27 AM
[QUOTE]The parts, known as receivers, are crucial to the weapon's firing capabilities.

Accurate, yes, but there is also a tiny little spring in there that is also crucial...!:rolleyes:
Springs should be banned, for the safety of little children. I also know that there are screws in those evil assault weapons that hold them together. If we could ban screws, think of the lives that could be saved!
Kumbayah!

w4rma
July 6, 2004, 09:37 AM
The passage, by a 216-214 vote, was due largely to last-minute lobbying of undecided lawmakers by former President Ronald Reagan, who supported the ban...

I didn't know this. Interesting.

That said, I'm very glad that the AWB may sunset. I hope it isn't reauthorized at all.

Andrew Rothman
July 6, 2004, 12:43 PM
It's nice to hear that you feel that way, w4rma.

(That crackling sound you hear is hell freezing over. :))

madcowburger
July 6, 2004, 12:51 PM
"Straight reauthorization" is MORE than bad enough!

MCB

halvey
July 6, 2004, 01:51 PM
Relax. The leftist extremist so-called "assault weapons" ban isn't going to be rewritten and reenacted until after the election this November, when our elected misrepresentatives will no longer fear us. Yup, that's why I tell anyone who will listen I am so excited to get Bush re-elected. Not that I'm overly excited about the guy, but I pretend I am.
If Bush wins, well at least we can work with him.

President Kerry - - and we will have a new AWB.

El Rojo
July 6, 2004, 08:20 PM
I didn't know that threaded barrels were banned in order to eliminate "barrel extenders". Damn, too bad they didn't ban long barrels instead.

Actually, as far as articles go, this wasn't too bad. I caught a hint of anti in the use of "election year politics". How about it is worthless legislation and that is why it is dying. Na.

Malone LaVeigh
July 6, 2004, 08:29 PM
The passage, by a 216-214 vote, was due largely to last-minute lobbying of undecided lawmakers by former President Ronald Reagan, who supported the ban, Spitzer said. Ya learn something new every day...

Moparmike
July 6, 2004, 10:33 PM
It is a sad day when the maintaining of the Status Quo is heralded as a victory...:(

May they eat sunset.

Stebalo
July 6, 2004, 11:16 PM
The passage, by a 216-214 vote, was due largely to last-minute lobbying of undecided lawmakers by former President Ronald Reagan, who supported the ban...

I am suspicious. The first time I heard this was the week of President Reagan's passing. Since then, I have heard it repeated ad naseum without source by the anti-gun agitators and their sympathetic press. This sounds like some rumor Feinstein et al. started that week in a moment of desperation which picked up steam with a NY Times editorialthat has taken on a life of its own and snowballed to the point where the left takes it as handed down from God to Moses..

Any legitimate, non-anti-gun sources out there to back up this claim?

Reagan was very pro gun.

See this (http://www.nraila.org/CurrentLegislation/Read.aspx?ID=1134) and this (http://www.nraila.org/News/Read/Releases.aspx?ID=3821)

He signed the FOPA which did include a ban on automatic weapon production (an amendment snuck in) BUT he did away with the part of the 1968 GCA that did not allow the importation of military style and surplus rifles, so from 1986 until 1989 Steyr AUGS, Sig 550s, Galils, AKs, FN FNCs, Valmets, FAMAS, H&Ks, ect were able to be imported. I may be mixed up on my facts as it was before my time, but didn't the FOPA also allowed for mail order ammo sales and end record keeping on ammo sales?

The AWB was passed as we all know Sept 13, 1994 through some last minute GOP reversals that were supposedly brokered by President Reagan. It was in December 1994 that he wrote his letter withdrawing from public life. He was already on the decline by then as I've recently heard many who knew him personally say.

I really need something more substantial before I buy into that urban legend. I think it is just the anti-gun left trying to exploit the memory of one of the most pro-gun presidents we had last century after perhaps Teddy Roosevelt. I need to hear from 1) republicrats who were personally called upon by President Reagan to swing their vote in favor of tyrany 2) it is well known that Reagan was a prolific writer, always writing longhand and writing in thoughtfully and in great extent his beliefs and his take on the issues. If he really felt that way about assault weapons, there has to be something somewhere that he wrote that would reflect that.

jefnvk
July 7, 2004, 12:09 AM
"It's like replacing guns that have died of old age, over and over again," he said.

I say we stop producing parts for cars over 3 years old. Might cut down on drunk driving, and if it only saves one life, or the children...

ny32182
July 7, 2004, 09:02 AM
The Brady Campaign, formed in honor of James Brady, the Reagan aide who was shot and seriously wounded in the 1981 assassination attempt on Reagan, is seeking an injunction to block the Justice Department and its Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms from allowing makers of the Bushmaster weapon, used in the sniper attacks, to produce new parts for old Bushmasters.

Anyone else heard anything about this "injunction"?

Hamm said allowing Bushmaster to fit old weapons with new receivers amounts to allowing production of new semi-automatic weapons - a violation of the law.

The only receiver you can replace is the upper....

boofus
July 7, 2004, 09:07 AM
Speaking of the Brady bill. Funny how the leftwingers let the looney Hinkley who actually did the shooting off the hook. Just recently they started giving him free passes to wander around without supervision.

They let the presidential assassin go free, but punish the law abiding gun owners. Typical leftwing logic. This country is headed to civil war...

If you enjoyed reading about "Bradys forced to eat straight reauthorization" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!