Nationwide CCW for LEO- What happened?

PDA

fjolnirsson
July 6, 2004, 04:55 AM
Did this get shot down? Is it still waiting for a vote? I'm just curious, as I don't recall hearing about it lately. Myself, I'm of two opinions on it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Nationwide CCW for LEO- What happened?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Pilgrim
July 6, 2004, 10:48 AM
The House of Representatives passed their version. The Senate has its own version, but it has not been to the Senate floor for a vote. It is expected that senator diane will try to attach her AWB renewal to the Senate version.

Since there are two versions of the bill, the differences will have to be reconciled in a House-Senate conference committee. Once that is done, both bodies of the Congress will have to vote on and pass the compromise version.

Pilgrim

StopTheGrays
July 6, 2004, 11:12 AM
The House of Representatives passed their version. The Senate has its own version, but it has not been to the Senate floor for a vote. It is expected that senator diane will try to attach her AWB renewal to the Senate version.

Since there are two versions of the bill, the differences will have to be reconciled in a House-Senate conference committee. Once that is done, both bodies of the Congress will have to vote on and pass the compromise version.

That seems like a smart tactic on her part. You get the LEOs behind you by throwing them the bone of National CCW for them and ask for their support on the AWB renewal.

Leatherneck
July 6, 2004, 11:25 AM
Nobody's ever said she's stupid--just evil. :neener:
My bet is that the whole thing will go down in flames--too contentious to get passed in the few days remaining.

TC
TFL Survivor

halvey
July 6, 2004, 11:33 AM
That seems like a smart tactic on her part. You get the LEOs behind you by throwing them the bone of National CCW for them and ask for their support on the AWB renewal. Or she knows AWB won't pass, so stick the LEO CCW on this so that won't pass either.

ProGlock
July 6, 2004, 12:19 PM
Hopefully this bill will die in flames. Until their is national reciprocity enacted for ALL citizens and not just LEOs, sorry but I don't support any bill that makes LEOs a higher class of citizen.

lostone1413
July 6, 2004, 03:25 PM
I don't back the bill either. Who could that supports the 2nd amendment back the bill. Their union backs Kerry who want to disarm us. To me a carry only for LEO is a very good start on a police state.

Harve Curry
July 6, 2004, 05:12 PM
I 2nd what Lostone wrote. Down with the whole shebang

Thumper
July 6, 2004, 05:19 PM
That seems like a smart tactic on her part. You get the LEOs behind you by throwing them the bone of National CCW for them and ask for their support on the AWB renewal.

Wrong. AWB addition is a poison pill. Please see the lawsuit immunity bill.

greyhound
July 6, 2004, 07:00 PM
How many weeks left in the Senate session?

1? 2?

Can't go by fast enough for me.

I'm hoping the big battle was won on March 2nd...

Standing Wolf
July 6, 2004, 07:10 PM
It's a bad law. It needs to be stopped.

LAR-15
July 6, 2004, 07:13 PM
It's not on the senate radar.

FedDC
July 7, 2004, 01:25 PM
It will pass shortly and without the AWB;) I am waiting not so patiently. Its about time;)

lostone1413
July 7, 2004, 01:48 PM
I'll say one thing if it does pass it is a very good start on a police state! Their has never been a goverment were they have taken away the publics right to have arms were people in the goverment haven't got to keep theirs. If it goes through and GWB signs it this is one vote he won't get. I bet it will cost him way more votes then he will gain

Pilgrim
July 7, 2004, 01:49 PM
Hopefully this bill will die in flames. Until their is national reciprocity enacted for ALL citizens and not just LEOs, sorry but I don't support any bill that makes LEOs a higher class of citizen.

It seems to me a "I supported national LEO CCW" bumper sticker on your car or truck might be a nice thing to have when you get stopped.

Pilgrim

lostone1413
July 7, 2004, 02:15 PM
Somehow I just don't think LEO is any better then 95% of the Americans out their. It should be everyone or no one. Funny how someone could back this bill that is a Non LEO and their union back Kerry who wants to take your guns away.No one can tell me it isn't a good start on a police state.I remember reading in other fourms the far right saying remember Ruby Ridge and Watco. I use to think they were way off base. Can't say I look at it that way anymore

woerm
July 8, 2004, 11:55 AM
Unamious consent, read it 3rd time and passed it out at about 7pm last night.

:banghead:

no record vote either that really fried me.

I'm called my misreptiles and asking why they don't pass citizen friendly laws the same way.

not really expecting any usefull answer.

:barf:

FedDC
July 8, 2004, 12:07 PM
Heck Yeah! And they say the Gov never does any good;) Now I need to figure out what pistol I am going to carry off duty... Finally I can ditch my full sized duty weapon when I am off duty. This may help out a LOT when it comes to getting officers to carry off duty, since it is a PITA to conceal a full sized gun off duty. Life is good once again...now if Sept would just hurry up;)

Robertesq1
July 8, 2004, 05:20 PM
It was a long time comming, and well worth the wait. I think this paves the way for a natl carry or natl reciprocity.

itgoesboom
July 8, 2004, 05:40 PM
I think I fall in with a lot of the others here on the forum about this.

I think Police Officers should be able to carry anywhere they want off-duty, out of state, National Parks, State Parks, wherever. The more the merrier. I think they should even be able to carry on planes.

However, I think that passing this law without passing a "civilian" version is very, very wrong.

I usually side with the cops, but not on this issue. What makes them better than us?

I.G.B.

lostone1413
July 8, 2004, 06:02 PM
I just talked to Senator McCain and Senator Kyl office. I told them that it just makes a special class of person now. One thing I learned from both office is the bill is now coming up again were you can't sue the gun manufacture it the gun is used in a crime but this time it has the AWB as an amendmend. My money says the many supporters of the 2nd amendment have been sold out for the sake of the few

Thumper
July 8, 2004, 06:04 PM
My money says the many supporters of the 2nd amendment have been sold out for the sake of the few

Did you follow the festivities the LAST time it came up with the AWB added as an amendment?

Wakal
July 8, 2004, 06:29 PM
FedDC wrote:
Now I need to figure out what pistol I am going to carry off duty... Finally I can ditch my full sized duty weapon when I am off duty. This may help out a LOT when it comes to getting officers to carry off duty, since it is a PITA to conceal a full sized gun off duty

:rolleyes:

What was that quote? Guns are supposed to be conforting, not comfortable...

Yep, that was it.

And for the record, I'm in the "LEO are citizens, not a protected class" crowd. Leave your jurisdiction, take off the badge and go back to being the same as everyone else. Recognize all CHL...or none. Half measures are only half right ;)

AlexIcarryfullsizedgunsandIlikeitWakal

lostone1413
July 8, 2004, 06:42 PM
Didn't follow the show the last time but will bet it will fly this time. When all is done the few will benefit at the cost of the many who support the 2nd

SnakeEater
July 8, 2004, 06:43 PM
I'm also strongly against this bill. LEO's should follow the same rules as everyone else. This fad of LEO's thinking they are a seperate and privileged class has got to stop. I can barely contain the anger it causes me when I'm refered to as a "civilian". Hey people, we are all "civilians", LEO's included. The law enforcement community should be trying its best to clarify that they are equal, not better, than everyone else. I fear we are slowly being divided into a police state, only in this police state the police will be the ones on the run.

Ok, I feel better now. Been wanting to get that off of my chest for awhile now. LEO's, I'm not trying to bash you personally, I am mainly refering to the overall community attitude.

Aikibiker
July 8, 2004, 06:45 PM
I don't like this idea of giving LEOs privleges that the rest of the citizenry do not enjoy. It just seems like a bad idea.

BTW What does this bill say about corrections officers? I already have a CCW permit but some of my fellow officers do not. How will this affect them?

If you enjoyed reading about "Nationwide CCW for LEO- What happened?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!