PDA

Tall Man
July 6, 2004, 09:42 AM
http://tennessean.com/local/archives/04/06/53624868.shtml?Element_ID=53624868

Friday, 07/02/04
State trooper says she shot brother in fight over butter

By CHRISTIAN BOTTORFF
Staff Writer

A Tennessee state trooper told Metro police she accidentally shot her brother in the leg during an argument that started over a tub of butter.

Angelinette L. Crawford, 31, a state trooper since April, told police the argument began about 10 a.m. yesterday when she realized that her brother, Jaison Bilbrew, 19, had lent the butter to a neighbor.

Bilbrew had come back to the Antioch apartment he shares with Crawford and her young son, and Crawford told him ''it was time for him to leave and find another residence,'' Metro police said in a news release.

''Their verbal argument turned into a shoving match at the top of the stairs,'' police said.

A message left for Crawford at the apartment was not returned.

Crawford went to her bedroom and got her service weapon, a .357 Glock semiautomatic pistol, according to police and the state Department of Safety.

The argument continued, then Bilbrew grabbed Crawford's arm and they wrestled on the floor. Bilbrew got up, and as Crawford was getting up, the gun discharged accidentally, according to Crawford, police said. The shooting occurred about 10:30 a.m. at the Hickory Manor apartments in the 2900 block of Hamilton Church Road.

Bilbrew was treated and released at Vanderbilt University Medical Center. The two had lived at the apartment for just over a year, police and neighbors said.

Metro detectives interviewed Crawford and forwarded the case to the Davidson County district attorney's office. They did not charge Crawford with a crime.

District Attorney General Torry Johnson said yesterday that his office would review the case file and determine whether Crawford's action broke any laws.

Johnson said victims' statements sometimes factor into such decisions. However, when there is domestic violence, prosecutors do try to pursue charges even if a victim does not want charges to be filed, Johnson said.

''At this point, I think we simply need to look at the police investigation,'' Johnson said. ''It's hard to comment until we know what's there.''

The official story about the shooting changed throughout the day. Soon after the shooting, police spokesman Don Aaron said Bilbrew ''jumped on'' the off-duty trooper, causing a bruise on her face. Police at first said Crawford appeared to have been defending herself when she shot Bilbrew.

Later yesterday, however, police said the shooting took place during the intense argument.

The state Department of Safety declined to provide a picture of Crawford. Beth Denton, spokeswoman for the Tennessee Department of Safety, said the department does not have a photograph of Crawford.

Crawford was placed on administrative leave with pay yesterday.

Christian Bottorff can be reached at 726-8904 or cbottorff@tennessean.com.
=====

"Metro detectives interviewed Crawford and forwarded the case to the Davidson County district attorney's office. They did not charge Crawford with a crime." Of course not!

TM

If you enjoyed reading about "Taking a bullet for dairy goods" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
El Tejon
July 6, 2004, 09:46 AM
Apparently in Tennessee, even without a state income tax, you can have guns and butter!:D

Whenever I got into an argument with my brother, first thing I did is run and get my gun.:rolleyes:

dev_null
July 6, 2004, 10:43 AM
> A Tennessee state trooper told Metro police she accidentally shot her brother in the leg during an argument that started over a tub of butter.

Were they married? :evil:

- 0 -

hso
July 6, 2004, 10:53 AM
dev_nul,

Not in Nashville, closest there is cousins. Now if it were in SE KY or WV...:evil:

El T - started Espada Y Daga and man am I confused!

Devonai
July 6, 2004, 11:56 AM
If I was the editor of this newspaper, that article never would have gone to print as-is.

State trooper says she shot brother in fight over butter.

Incorrect! The argument was about the trooper's decision to ask the brother to move out of the apartment. Loaning the butter to a neighbor was probably the last straw in a long history of the brother's inconsiderate and/or inappropriate behavior. The trooper had most likely already considered asking her brother to move out, for whatever grievances, long before this incident. When the brother loaned out the butter, the trooper's property purchased with her money, it was the latest example of why he was becoming increasingly unwelcome in her home.

It doesn't sound like the trooper acted appropriately when she armed herself, but it may come to light that the brother was presenting a legitimate threat.

Note to Mister Bottorff: If you're going to be sensationalist in your journalism, make sure the spin in your writing style isn't so apparent!

Justin
July 6, 2004, 11:56 AM
But...but the po-po have way more firearms training than any of us mere mortals! There's no way a cop would ever misuse a firearm, unlike us lowly peons who don't go to the range twice a week to shoot. Sarah Brady told me so!

Majic
July 6, 2004, 12:06 PM
The official story about the shooting changed throughout the day.
Well who is telling the truth here? :scrutiny:

sturmruger
July 6, 2004, 12:24 PM
I could see fighting over some steaks, or maybe a couple pounds of burger. I would like to raise the point that this does not even sound like real butter.
shot her brother in the leg during an argument that started over a tub of butter.

Now part of this is because I reside in the dairy state, but I really get sick of people referring to anything that you spread on toast as butter. They even have supposed spray on butter. Here in WI we call that stuff what it really is "Margarine". Butter comes from cows, margarine is made from soy beans or corn whatever they are getting the oil from now days. Bottom line is they fought over margarine, what a waste!! Now if it was some nice creamy real butter then maybe I would think it was worth arguing over.

Pilgrim
July 6, 2004, 01:47 PM
Regardless of whether it was butter or margarine, law enforcement management takes a dim view of their officers solving family disputes with their issue firearm. Seeing that she has been a trooper since April, she undoubtedly is still a probationary employee. I doubt she has much of a future with the Tennessee State Police.

Pilgrim

Diggler
July 6, 2004, 01:52 PM
Fighting over butter... I've heard it all now! Usually people fight over (and in) jello, mud, oil... but never butter.

I'll have pay more attention to the beer commercials from now on.

Preacherman
July 6, 2004, 03:55 PM
Margarine's not worth fighting over... as the French would say, "C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas le beurre!"

:neener: :p :D

dev_null
July 6, 2004, 04:32 PM
*groan*

:p

GunnySkox
July 6, 2004, 05:16 PM
I thought we normal folks called shooting someone during an argument "assault with a deadly weapon" (or assault with intent to cause grievous bodily harm) and pulling out a firearm during an argument "brandishing". I'll be dad-gummed, they put her on "administrative leave with pay".

Pardon me, I'm gonna go dip myself in ice, so my blood will quit boiling.

~Slam_Fire

mpthole
July 6, 2004, 05:26 PM
The state Department of Safety declined to provide a picture of Crawford. Beth Denton, spokeswoman for the Tennessee Department of Safety, said the department does not have a photograph of Crawford.
Aside from the obvious idiocies of this story... How can the Dept of "Safety" NOT have a freaking picture of one of their state troopers?!?!? :banghead:

Now... if they choose not to release it: fine. That's another story.

Yep... those eeee-vil Glocks that go off accidentally all of the time. Could it be that she had her finger on the trigger...? :rolleyes:

Iron Mike
July 6, 2004, 06:55 PM
Could be he tried to get the gun from her but he couldn't get a grip because of the butter

Monkeyleg
July 6, 2004, 07:03 PM
SturmRuger, I think you're going a bit overboard when it comes to Dairy Pride week. Even margarine isn't worth shooting someone over. Stabbing, maybe, but not shooting.

Now if this was over a nice hunk of Gouda cheese, well, that would be a different matter.

R.H. Lee
July 6, 2004, 07:10 PM
Bad cop! You used your only bullet and will have to wait until next year to get another one.

Why do these things always happen in the South?

Standing Wolf
July 6, 2004, 08:00 PM
...as Crawford was getting up, the gun discharged accidentally...

Bad Glock! Bad, bad Glock!

azrael
July 6, 2004, 08:07 PM
In tha south you say?? Well one thing to consider about THIS part of the south...I can walk into a gunshop wearing a Kilt and playing bagpipes and order an AR15!! can you "enlightened" in Ca do that?? :neener:

I gotta confess something guys...I have a "friend" that stabbed a guy in the arm for reaching for his chicken nuggets once..<~~NOT the McDonalds crap that passes for chicken..So I GUESS it is a step above margerine:D

Diggler
July 6, 2004, 08:59 PM
So, your friend just 'winged' him?

azrael
July 6, 2004, 09:03 PM
lmao :D

Iron Mike
July 6, 2004, 09:45 PM
Can you imagine that conversation? Jaison!...Where the hell is the damn butter! Oh, I lent it to the people next door, any way it was margarine not butter. Margarine my a$$, Wait till I get my Glock.... Unless you lent them that to!

R.H. Lee
July 6, 2004, 09:59 PM
In tha south you say?? Well one thing to consider about THIS part of the south...I can walk into a gunshop wearing a Kilt and playing bagpipes and order an AR15!! can you "enlightened" in Ca do that??

BWAHAHAHAAAA! Hey, two outta three ain't bad. On second thought most places have a noise ordnance so that leaves.........

........never mind:o

azrael
July 6, 2004, 10:11 PM
Riley,
I started to put in "walk into a gunshop wearing bunny slippers wearing a kilt"!...But I have DONE the bunny slippers thing at the range:neener:

BTW...The Chronicles of Riddick OWNSSSSS!!!!!!<~~yea we gots TV MOVIES as well in the south..:D

Don Gwinn
July 6, 2004, 10:41 PM
Uh. . . . I'm pretty sure I could buy a gun in a kilt, too. What in the world is that all about? :scrutiny:

magsnubby
July 6, 2004, 11:27 PM
Sounds logical to me. Give away my butter and i'll shoot your dumb self.

Monkeyleg
July 7, 2004, 12:13 AM
All this reminds me of when I was in junior high. Got my tray of food, sat down, and suddenly some kid was trying to steal my dessert. Grabbed my fork and stuck it into his hand, and nobody ever tried to steal my dessert again.

Don't mess with my cookies. ;)

twoblink
July 7, 2004, 01:58 PM
OK, what disturbs me about the story is that the guy only got "winged"..

Darwin screwed up.. :rolleyes:

Guns and Butter.. I guess the government wasn't lying, you really can't have both or something bad happens...

Jamie B
July 7, 2004, 07:19 PM
O.K., you guys are SICK, but you are missing the major point here.

My fear about this encounter is that we will now have the ABB, in addition to the AWB - the Assault Butter Ban.

I do not want to be legislated to the point that I need a permit to purchase more than 4 sticks of butter at one time without having to use a tax stamp.

Next thing that you know, we will control the purchase of bread and butter, due to the violent nature of these 2 catalysts being put together by some uninformed idiot.

I can also see future warnings being printed in new handgun manuals advising of the critical nature of mixing guns and butter.

In addition, I also do not relish the BATF picking up the responsibility for controlling my butter purchases, or a new agency being created, FUBAR, the Federal Underdepartment for Butter And Rifles.

GIVE ME BUTTER OR GIVE ME DEATH!!

[rant off]

Jamie

birdv
July 7, 2004, 07:30 PM
This thread is too funny.
Bump

lbmii
July 7, 2004, 08:58 PM
So what happened to the butter?

gunsmith
July 7, 2004, 09:06 PM
The sad fact of the case is that it was not butter it was Parkay :cool:

I am amazed that this sad fact has not come up yet.

Jamie B
July 7, 2004, 09:08 PM
I am not sure, but I believe that improper forensic handling techniques resulted in the butter being stored in an evidence bag in a hot police cruiser for an extended period of time.

The butter, exposed to extremely high temperatures, began to seperate, and became rancid. As the rancid butter melted, it leaked out of the bag, and on to the vehicle's carpet. A gang of starving rogue mutant mice attacked the cruiser, and consumed all of the buttered carpet.

All that was left were mutant mice droppings.

Case dismissed...lack of evidence!

Jamie

The Rabbi
July 7, 2004, 09:21 PM
In the words of the late Marlon Brando in Last Tango In Paris,
"Bring me the butter."

Maybe that was the source of the disagreement? :D

Iron Mike
July 7, 2004, 10:17 PM
Jamie..... You said it was assault butter, I heard it was unsalted

magsnubby
July 7, 2004, 11:07 PM
Read in todays paper that Diane Fineswine is introducing the ABB (Assualt Butter Ban) later this month.

Bread was banned last month. We're planning a protest march later this month.

lbmii
July 7, 2004, 11:59 PM
I think the State Attorney General should sue the butter company.

Ironbarr
July 8, 2004, 12:49 AM
I can't believe it's not bahtter.:p

Don - what in the world is a gun doing in a kilt. Does that mean you kilt it? Or is it a burial bag for a gun? If so, does butter replace cosmoline?

Inquiring minds(?) want to know.

:D :D

-Andy

firearms_instructor
July 8, 2004, 01:36 AM
Just hand over the damm butter, and no one gets hurt!

Give it UP, biyotch!

You butter not be holding out on me!

4570Rick
July 8, 2004, 02:07 AM
Her brother, having given the margarine away, returns to find his sister demanding he return said margarine at gunpoint. He struggles for the gun butter grip was butter than his and when the gun discharged, he was hit. He was treated and released at the hospital and is expected to be butter soon.:D

The_Antibubba
July 8, 2004, 03:08 AM
:D

Maybe she was going to grease the gun with the butter. This story is wrong on more levels than we'll ever know.

I do know this: I'd never try to buy a firearm while wearing a kilt-I might get accused of trying to skirt the law.

Iron Mike
July 8, 2004, 07:21 PM
This whole butter thing is getting out of hand. Its getting udderly ridiculous. Before you know it people will be making lame cow jokes,like,maybe she was in a bad moood or he he gave away the butter just because he cud. So lets stop trying to milk it (just thought i'd horn in)

Preacherman
July 8, 2004, 08:17 PM
Obviously, she should be charged with assault and buttery... :D

Jamie B
July 8, 2004, 08:26 PM
Iron Mike, I believe that the knocking on your door right now is the pun police. Drop your butter, and surrender quietly!

Just some thoughts;

If they try and get my butter, they will have to pry it from my cold, dead fingers.

Can you get a CCB (Carrying Concealed Buttter) permit in Ohio? It took 10 years to get CCW.

Would a CCB holster be IWB, and would it melt too quickly?

If you are CCBing in an ankle holster, would high temperatures cause the butter to melt, which could cause slipping when you try to run?

Will the clerk at Wally World ask me if my butter purchase will be used in a handgun or a rifle?

Is it lawful to use excessive butter in defense of your loved ones in the home?

Do I need a FBL (Federal Butter License) to send and receive butter when I am having work performed by a professional?

When CCBing in Ohio in a moter vehicle, do I need to keep the butter in a holster on my person, or can I leave it loaded on the passenger seat?

Now I have to worry about locking the Fridge to keep my kids away from the butter when they are home.

I probably need to stop thinking of all of these issues and seek professional help, quickly!

Later,

Jamie

Diggler
July 8, 2004, 09:14 PM
Good one, sir. My hat's off to you.

If she isn't charged, well... That's just a Country Crock of...

Iron Mike
July 8, 2004, 09:14 PM
Jamie B.......Your right I am sorry no more pun ishment I promise

Linux&Gun Guy
July 8, 2004, 09:28 PM
I have a big gun in my kilt

LMAO

Fighting over butter! Quick blame the cows!

gunsmith
July 8, 2004, 09:40 PM
Gunga Din

4v50 Gary
July 8, 2004, 11:28 PM
Over margarine? Heck, I'd give it away. Give me Challenge brand butter with that nice looking elk on the wrapper anyday. Butter, mmmmmmmm.

BTW, I'm sure there's more to the story.

The_Antibubba
July 9, 2004, 05:57 AM
Only OLEOS should have guns.

:D

Jamie B
July 9, 2004, 10:03 PM
Iron Mike, the knocking that you now here at your door are the nice men with the sweater that has the long pretty sleeves that buckle behind your back.

Trust them, thay will take you to a place where you will be very happy, and you will learn that puns are bad!

jamie

Ironbarr
July 9, 2004, 10:50 PM
I just love puttery buns...:o er - buttery puns.

If you enjoyed reading about "Taking a bullet for dairy goods" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!