Looks like our marine has been set free!!

PDA

porciniman
July 6, 2004, 01:45 PM
Relative Believes Marine Freed in Iraq

4 hours ago

By PAUL FOY, Associated Press Writer

WEST JORDAN, Utah - A glimmer of hope grew in this Salt Lake City suburb on word Tuesday from a relative in Lebanon that an U.S. Marine abducted in Iraq was well and might even have been freed.
Full article:

http://www.comcast.net/News/DOMESTIC//XML/1110_AP_Online_Regional___National__US_/dc4afdcc-e4e4-41bd-ab6b-0b4f9c1a9a2a.html

VB

If you enjoyed reading about "Looks like our marine has been set free!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Don Gwinn
July 6, 2004, 02:21 PM
I'm not much for prayer, but I just prayed for him. Let's see what happens!

moa
July 6, 2004, 03:00 PM
Rumor has it that the Lebanese descent Marine was a deserter. That is how he got caught. I think I heard that on the Michael Savage radio program.

Anybody know anything about that?

lostone1413
July 6, 2004, 03:14 PM
I don't know how he got caught but to me something doesn't add up.

WilderBill
July 6, 2004, 03:52 PM
I hope he is OK.
It would be intersting to somehow know if he was released because he is himself Islamic, because he promised not to return to his unit, or because the Marines have a habit of rendering some sort of retribution.

Hawkmoon
July 6, 2004, 04:13 PM
The story from the terrorists is that he was released because he promised not to return to "U.S. forces." Also, his brother -- who made the announcement -- is over there somewhere. I suspect that the rumours the guy had deserted may be true, and that the Marines won't ver see him again unless they go looking for him.

CentralTexas
July 6, 2004, 04:41 PM
in my book. Scumbag talked to Iraqi workers at base & they were supposed to help him get to Jordan or some other "safe" for deserter area but they turned him over to the bad guys....

jnojr
July 6, 2004, 07:57 PM
If that's the case... if he was, in fact, deserting, I hope we execute him.

NukemJim
July 6, 2004, 09:36 PM
Scumbag talked to Iraqi workers at base & they were supposed to help him get to Jordan or some other "safe" for deserter area but they turned him over to the bad guys....

Can you give the source for this please ? I knew he was listed that way but had never heard the story behind it.

Thank you

NukemJim

Rembrandt
July 6, 2004, 10:03 PM
Would like to hear the whole story....but actions of a few raise doubts as to Muslims in our military.

....Prior to the start of hostilities, muslim soldier kills fellow US soldiers with a grenade.

....Muslim translator accused of passing information to Guantanamo prisoners.

...now Muslim soldier "goes awol"....and shows up on Al Jezzera TV?

....makes you wonder where their loyalties are, with the oath taken upon entering military service....or to their religion.

Tierhog
July 7, 2004, 03:59 AM
As a Marine I will give him the benefit of the doubt. I do not have all the facts, probably not even some of the facts. Until the truth comes out, I will be happy a brother Marine is safe. However, if its true that he did desert, then the Corps has ways of dealing with that as well. Either way, I hope he comes home.

Leatherneck
July 7, 2004, 07:24 AM
Tierhog nailed it. More facts are needed. If the AWOL charge turnes out to be accurate, Marines will be first in line to hang him. Let's wait and see; there could be numerous reasons for what he did. :scrutiny:

TC
TFL Survivor

DevilDog
July 7, 2004, 10:28 AM
If he did go UA or deserted, I would still rather see him face the UCMJ vs. seeing him suffer anything from those beheading cowards.

Semper Fi

Thumper
July 7, 2004, 10:46 AM
makes you wonder where their loyalties are, with the oath taken upon entering military service....or to their religion.

Kinda funny...the Military Oath is predicated on the idea that one hold's his religion higher. "...so help me God." :)

CentralTexas
July 7, 2004, 11:04 AM
"Kinda funny...the Military Oath is predicated on the idea that one hold's his religion higher. "...so help me God."

When I joined it was "Swear or Affirm"

CT

CentralTexas
July 7, 2004, 11:21 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,124210,00.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wassef_Ali_Hassoun
http://www.nytimes.com/auth/login?URI=http://www.nytimes.com/2004/06/30/international/middleeast/30MARI.html
The New York Times (registration required) is reporting:
"The American marine who is being threatened by his kidnappers with beheading had deserted the military because he was emotionally traumatized, and was abducted by his captors while trying to make his way home to his native Lebanon, a Marine officer said Tuesday.

The officer, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said he believed that Cpl. Wassef Ali Hassoun was betrayed by Iraqis he befriended on his base and ended up in the hands of Islamic extremists.

If you enjoyed reading about "Looks like our marine has been set free!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!