PDA

gun-fucious
February 14, 2003, 01:32 PM
A Sizable Risk Pays Off For Target Of Stickup
He Keeps His Money By Facing Down An Armed Teen
February 13, 2003
By CHRISTINE DEMPSEY, Courant Staff Writer
http://www.ctnow.com/hc-mancowboy0213.artfeb13.story

MANCHESTER -- Staring down the barrel of a rifle Tuesday night, Richard Jarvis had three choices: hand over his cash, run - or risk taking a stand.

Jarvis took a stand.

As the cursing, 18-year-old robber demanded his money, Jarvis took out his wallet, looked at the $120 inside and said: "I ain't giving it to you."

Then Jarvis, 42, a target-shooter, grabbed the rifle and tried to remove its ammunition. "I just disarmed your gun," he said calmly.

The teenager, who had emerged from a nearby car with another person, pulled the gun away and swung the sawed-off .22-caliber rifle like a bat, said Jarvis. He bobbed and swayed in an attempt to avoid being hit, he said, but was hit a few times anyway.

As the robber tried again to get off a shot, Jarvis said, he gave him and his friend a warning.

He, too, had a gun.

Backing away toward his vehicle, the teenager again tried to pull the trigger, Jarvis said.

"I wasn't going to give him a second chance. That's when I pulled my piece and fired."

Bullets from Jarvis' .380-caliber Colt pistol shattered the windows of the Honda Passport his two assailants had come from. One struck the shoulder of a 14-year-old boy who was accompanying the gunman. The wound was minor, police said later.

Both young men bolted, but were quickly captured by Officers Aaron Calkins and Anthony Palombizio, who had responded to a report of shots fired in front of the Millbridge Hollow condominium on Prospect Street at about 11:15 p.m.

A third suspect, who Jarvis said was apparently inside a second vehicle, was apprehended later in New Britain, with help from that city's police force.

The older of the two suspects were identified by police as Pastor Guzman, 18, of 154 Malikowski Circle, New Britain, and Juan Gomez, 16, of 186 Malikowski Circle. They are scheduled to appear in Manchester Superior Court today.

The 14-year-old was not identified because of his age. He was transferred to a juvenile detention center.

Guzman, who police said was armed with the rifle, was charged with criminal attempt to commit first-degree robbery, criminal attempt to commit first-degree assault, first-degree larceny by possession, second-degree larceny, conspiracy to commit third-degree larceny, risk of injury to a minor, possession of a weapon in a motor vehicle and interfering with police said. He was held on $500,000 bail.

Gomez was charged with conspiracy to commit first-degree robbery, third-degree larceny, third-degree burglary and risk of injury to a minor. He was held on $250,000 bail.

The 14-year-old was charged with conspiracy to commit first-degree robbery, second-degree larceny and conspiracy to commit third-degree larceny.

Police said Jarvis had a valid permit for the handgun and would not be charged with any crime.

They also said they would never recommend that anyone try to resist an armed holdup. As one officer put it: "Comply, comply, comply."

Jarvis, bruised and cut but upbeat, sat on a couch in his Manchester home Wednesday and said he wasn't afraid when the gunman nearly thrust the rifle in his mouth.

"I had to look at him and evaluate my situation," said Jarvis, who is unemployed. "I said, `Dude, you picked the wrong guy.'"

"There is no possible way I am letting these punks take my wallet," he said. "My mother didn't raise me to be a sissy."

Despite some law enforcers' opinions that Jarvis' actions were risky and dangerous, Jarvis said he has no regrets. He'd do it again, he said.

"I'm not going to let these people ruin my life," he said. "They're just terrorists to me."

If you enjoyed reading about "A Sizable Risk Pays Off For Target Of Stickup" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Dannyboy
February 14, 2003, 02:23 PM
Howard Stern hooked this guy up this morning. He called the show and told his story and Howard gave him a ski trip to Utah, a watch from some jeweler in Philthy, a year's membership at a Bally health club and some cash to go with it all. Too bad everybody doesn't get this treatment when they defend themselves and get a few scumbags off the street at the same time.

Ed Brunner
February 14, 2003, 02:24 PM
"I'm not going to let these people ruin my life," he said. "They're just terrorists to me."
Nice touch, calling them terrorists, which is exactly what they were.

"Comply, comply, comply"?????????????
With terrorists???????????

w.Clark
February 18, 2003, 11:50 AM
Comply??
That is not what the FBI recommends. As if I am going to take advice from a cop who wasn't staring down the barrel of a gun at the time. I suppose th epolice would just suggest calling 911 if this happens again and they will make everything all better.
Clark

Blackhawk
February 18, 2003, 12:02 PM
Too bad everybody doesn't get this treatment when they defend themselves and get a few scumbags off the street at the same time.How do we know they don't?

I don't recall anything quite like Jarvis' attitude and actions -- a hero for America -- showing up in the media.

JMLV
February 18, 2003, 12:04 PM
"I only had 3 rounds in the magazine becouse I doidnt want to hurt the springs!" The guy actually said this on the radio! Methinks he needs a handgun defence class to get rid of his lack of knowledge about handguns! He did a standup thing but thaT GUN SHOULD HAVE BEEN FULLY LOADED.

Double Maduro
February 18, 2003, 02:11 PM
Couple of points here.

1. How do you disarm a rifle by removing the magazine? Isn't there or shouldn't you assume there is a round in the chamber.

2. Just went to a chl class in Portland, Oregon and one of the things the instructor said was that if we shot someone, even if it was determined to be a righteous shooting, we were looking at a minimum of $20,000 in legal fees.

3. He didn't shoot the guy holding the gun but an unarmed 14 year old in the car? This guy has just lost everything he owns or will own for a long time.

4. Not saying it is fair or right, just that this is what will happen.

TarpleyG
February 18, 2003, 02:19 PM
Some modern weapons will not fire without a magazine in place. Case in point, I have a S&W 22A that won't fire without the mag. Maybe this rifle was the same way but what a gamble this guy took on that.

GT

Dannyboy
February 18, 2003, 02:20 PM
How do we know they don't?

I was referring to the people who end up getting prosecuted but since you mention it, have you ever seen anyone get treated like a hero on national radio? I haven't.

ajacobs
February 18, 2003, 03:07 PM
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9035&highlight=jarvis

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8910&highlight=jarvis

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8724&highlight=jarvis

Pendragon
February 18, 2003, 03:22 PM
I must say - we should all adopt the title of "Target Shooter".

Ultimately, when the chips are down and you draw a gun, you are a target shooter. It has a nice, clean cut, non aggressive ring to it.

Good for Mr. Jarvis. He understands that armed robbery is no more about property than rape is about sex. Its about freedom and dignity and the rights of decent people to not have to cower in fear to arrogant trash like these kids.

Too bad he could not have pulled a Bernie Goetz on them (4 out of 5 dispatched).

And the Chief who said (maybe in another news story) "he should have complied, he could have been seriously injured".

Some of us would rather take the chance and fight back than live the rest of their lives knowing they were too afraid. There must be something incredible about staring down the elephant and walking away that would make so many other problems in life seem insignificant.

Rather, if we cower and roll over and wet ourselves at every danger, we will water the seeds of self doubt and slide further into helplessness and dependency.

org
February 18, 2003, 03:42 PM
Double, just because a CCW instructor says so doesn't necessarily mean it's true. Different states, different localities, different people.

Double Maduro
February 18, 2003, 04:26 PM
org,

That's why I mentioned the state.

My biggest problem with this whole thing is that he didn't shoot the guy with the gun but an unarmed 14 year old in the car. Did he miss or was he aiming for the car?

The law suits that the 14 year olds family, my poor son was trying to get his friend to leave the man alone when he got shot, are likely to file will keep the poor guy in and out of court for years and will probably cost him much more than 20 grand.

Now no one knows what would have happened if he had handed over the cash. But if I was carrying legally, or not, and someone tried to mug me with a rifle I would not try to grab the rifle and remove the magazine. I would not have let him have a second chance to shoot me. I WOULD NOT have told him that I had a gun, too.

The first time he would have known that I was armed was when he was shot and bleeding.

I think this guy exibited some extreme bravery while also exibiting some truly stupid logic. I am just glad that he survived.

JPM70535
February 18, 2003, 04:52 PM
I completely agree that the first time the BG would have known I was armed was when he started bleeding. It is not my obligation to tell the little thug anything. As long as he holds a weapon, he is fair game, and when he makes the mistake of taking his eyes off of me for a second, he'll be taking a DIRT NAP. I won't be hitting any extraneous persons sitting in vehicles either.

The very idea that I should be a good victim and comply with the BGs demands is assinine. I worked too hard for what little I have, and I am darned sure not going to turn my cash, or watch or whatever over to anyone without resisting to the utmost of my abilities

GOD MADE MAN, SAM COLT MADE THEM ALL EQUAL!!!!!

org
February 18, 2003, 06:50 PM
Double, I agree with everything you say. Sorry I missed the reference to the state. You're right about the bravery and poor judgement. Sounds like he should have done a little thinking about situations/reactions when he got the gun. Nice that it turned out well, though.

org

ajacobs
February 18, 2003, 07:09 PM
My biggest problem with this whole thing is that he didn't shoot the guy with the gun but an unarmed 14 year old in the car. Did he miss or was he aiming for the car?

He said in the radio interview the 14 year old had a toy gun. Of course he didn't know it was a toy until later.

1. How do you disarm a rifle by removing the magazine? Isn't there or shouldn't you assume there is a round in the chamber.

It was a tube fed 22. Aparantly there was not a round in the chamber.

In regards to being sued I am sure that is possible although some states hold you harmless. Many juries will not find damages and few people sew regardless of what all the stories in the media lead us to believe, I am guessing. I follow all kinds of articles and they don't sue as often as you would think.

Carlos
February 18, 2003, 07:30 PM
Double Maduro.

Was that Clyde Casceras (CHL teacher) who told you that? Northwest Armory? Sounds very familiar.

Carl

Pendragon
February 18, 2003, 07:38 PM
There is a fair amount of 20/20 hind sight here. He did not have the luxury of thinking everything through. I would imagine your logic unit would not be the operative section of your brain if faced with that situation.

Second, If there are accessories or partners to the armed BG, they must also be presumed armed and capable of returning fire and must also be neutralized.

The guy may well get sued, but I bet he gets some help and I doubt they get anywhere - especially if the 14yr old had a toy gun. The fact that it was a toy is completely irrelavent.

Double Maduro
February 18, 2003, 08:15 PM
Carlos,

No this was a gentleman with the first name of Gene, I have the certificate downstairs and can get his last name for you if you want it.

Northwest Armory is one of my favorite places and is only about 3 minutes from my house.

Richard

Jack T.
February 18, 2003, 08:35 PM
I don't know about other places, but I am 95% sure that in Oklahoma you have the right to take out any member of a group if you feel your life is in danger. I remember my instructor saying that in such a situation, he would shoot the closest agressor, then use him as a shield to dispatch of the others. . .

I can't say that that is the right thing to do, but I believe it is legal, at least in Oklahoma. . .

Carlos
February 18, 2003, 09:09 PM
Double Maduro:

Sounds like Gene and Clyde said the same thing. I took my CHL safety/qualification course at Northwest Armory.

Double Maduro
February 18, 2003, 10:50 PM
Waiting for my April 15 appointment, then another 45 days.

Carlos
February 19, 2003, 02:23 AM
after those 45 days, just don't forget that you might not be as cool as the guy who is the subject of this thread.

Sorry for the Hijack.

But, when you have that little piece of paper next to your driver's license, remember the awesome responsibility. $20,000 or never sleeping again in your life for having to shoot some #$*# trying to take advantage.

Study the law well, and live.

Chow Baby!!

Double Maduro
February 19, 2003, 01:17 PM
Carlos,

Cool is not a factor in my decision to get a CHL. There is way too much responsibility in carrying for it to be cool.

I could have gotten the CHL without going through the class, being a former military range instructor in the .45. I wanted the class specifically for the information on the law here in Oregon.

There has not been a CHL licensed person in Oregon who used their weapon in an unlawful way, I don't intend to be the first.

As for losing sleep, been there done that, finally figured out it was them or me and got over it. If I have to I will get over it again. Life is precious, My Life and My Families Lives are the most precious of all.

One of my main reasons for getting the CHL is to let the politicians know that there is another gun owner in the state and they should not forget how many of us there are when it comes election time.

Thanks for your posts on this thread, they have been thought provoking.

If you enjoyed reading about "A Sizable Risk Pays Off For Target Of Stickup" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!