If this law passes, how long before it is used-

PDA

denny
July 7, 2004, 12:50 PM
Against gun manufacturers?

"Senate Judiciary Committee (news - web sites) chairman Orrin Hatch, clearly targeting P-to-P vendors, claimed his bill focuses on companies that profit by encouraging children and teenagers to infringe copyrights. "It is illegal and immoral to induce or encourage children to commit crimes," Hatch, a Utah Republican, said in a statement. "Tragically, some corporations now seem to think that they can legally profit by inducing children to steal. Some think they can legally lure children into breaking the law with false promises of 'free music.'" (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=77&e=1&u=/mc/20040706/tc_mc/billtargetsfirmsthatinducecopyrightviolations)

This may be a stretch, but it got me thinking, particularly in light of the Senate actions this past March.

If you enjoyed reading about "If this law passes, how long before it is used-" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
G1FAL
July 7, 2004, 12:58 PM
Maybe I'm missing something here, but how can you think of this being used against manufacturers?

Jeeper
July 7, 2004, 01:08 PM
This whole piracy thing is such a crock of crap. Sony records hates piracy but yet they sell Mp3 players and tons of blank cd's to allow it. They know that most MP3's are not bought but still sell the players. THey know that most cd's are used to burn illegal material yet they still sell them. They are trying to feed from both ends.

denny
July 7, 2004, 01:13 PM
G1FAL said:

Maybe I'm missing something here, but how can you think of this being used against manufacturers?

G1,

Sorry I was not clearer, but this law is designed to sue the manufacturer for a product "misused" by the purchaser or user- this is how.

Further, it will stifle devolpment of technology by having a select few corporations decide what we, the unwashed masses, can and cannot purchase.

Jeeper
July 7, 2004, 01:18 PM
This bill is aimed at shutting down places like Kazaa. They want to target the intermediary for others illegal acts.

G1FAL
July 7, 2004, 01:21 PM
Ah. OK.

I have no sympathy for the music companies re: piracy. Yes, I know they've got copyright and all that jazz. But at the same time, I agree with the pirates in that I dont want to pay $15 for a CD, just to have it get scratched up in my CD carrier thingy thats in my truck. They've got a couple of bucks into each CD thats on the shelf, IF THAT, and yet they sell for 5-10 times what it cost to produce them, get them to market, advertise, etc. Of the $15 that the CD costs, the band gets, what, 50 cents? Music companies are basically vampires, or leeches, and they want to whine when someone cuts into their profits. Hmph.

Another thing, though this is off topic a bit, that I hate about them is that its $15 for a Disturbed CD, or Gwar, or Ozzy, but yet, you can turn around and buy Snoopy Ice Dog or Dokter Doggy or some crap, 6 for $5.

This whole piracy thing is a real mess.

thefitzvh
July 7, 2004, 05:31 PM
Snoopy Ice Dog or Dokter Doggy

*wipes gatorade from screen*

:D

Standing Wolf
July 7, 2004, 06:15 PM
It rarely takes the government longer than about 25 minutes to begin to abuse a law.

Jim March
July 7, 2004, 06:52 PM
Hatch is WAY deep in bed with the RIAA/music industry it's not even funny...and he apparantly forgot to bring condoms :barf:.

Dunno WHAT is up with that clown but he needs to chill out.

:rolleyes:

Sergeant Bob
July 7, 2004, 07:24 PM
Snoopy Ice Dog or Dokter Doggy
Yeah, them and that other guy, 2Pacs Asugar

G1FAL
July 7, 2004, 10:37 PM
Yeah, them and that other guy, 2Pacs Asugar

I always thought that a 2-Pack was what was left over after your buddies finished grabbing themselves a couple of beers/sodas/whatever.

O.F.Fascist
July 7, 2004, 11:09 PM
I had the same thoughts as Denny had when I read that.

Change Hatch with Feinstein and have her talking about how the corrupt gun industry is inducing and encouraging children to commit crimes....

I'm seriously pissed about how many laws get passed to help out the entertainment industry with there problems with the internet, yet the problems that most americans face with it are spyware and spam yet nothing is done about that.

If you enjoyed reading about "If this law passes, how long before it is used-" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!