Could The GOP Be Growing A Spine?

PDA

madcowburger
July 7, 2004, 04:49 PM
Or at least a brain?

It is being reported that Senator Bill Frist is *actually using* some of the parliamentary procedures available to him to block DiFi & Friends from attaching an AWB renewal amendment to the class action lawsuit bill currently being debated. I mean the sort of parliamentary procedures he DIDN'T use to keep that and other amendments (like Ted Kennedy's ban on nearly all centerfire rifle ammunition) from being attached to the gunmaker liability bill a few months ago.

Is it possible that the GOP is actually starting to "get it" after all? I mean, get it that a renewed AWB is political suicide for them, and that we are not going to be fooled or distracted by a bunch of stuff about gay marriage, flag burning, prayer in schools, the Ten Commandments, or whatever?

I sure hope so.

MCB

If you enjoyed reading about "Could The GOP Be Growing A Spine?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Stebalo
July 7, 2004, 04:54 PM
I wish they'd grow some cajones and force the Dems to truly filibuster judicial nominations other than this lame filibustering without filibustering. Letting them violate the constitution by forcing a supermajority vote on judicial nominations is just shameful.

Dave R
July 7, 2004, 05:05 PM
I was going to be flip and just say Naaaaaah.

But this sounds like they might actually be doing something right.

For a change.

ProGlock
July 7, 2004, 05:06 PM
Yeah, Frist actually did it today by "filling the tree" as they call it. There's a reason that procedure is on the books - and it's for just that reason. I saw the look on Frist's face too when he did it....he looked straight into the eye of the enemy and essentially told them to "f--- off" (not those exact words)

I'm not holding my breath that the GOP as a whole is growing a spine, but I am holding out hope.

R.H. Lee
July 7, 2004, 05:06 PM
Election day is fast approaching and they know their base is dissatisfied.

madcowburger
July 7, 2004, 05:11 PM
They'd *better* know it. I've called and left Frist two phone messages about this very thing, and e-mailed him about it too. I've also called and e-mailed my own state senator about it.

They'd better know it, and they'd better not forget it after the election.

MCB

Felonious Monk
July 7, 2004, 05:28 PM
Bill Frist (R) TN

That's DOCTOR Bill Frist. He's risen fast in the GOP, because he's not a career politician, and he's not afraid to make the hard calls. He was a very successful surgeon here in TN long before getting into politics. I, like many others, hold HUGE respect for him.

Unleash Hell, Doc!

FM

Standing Wolf
July 7, 2004, 06:17 PM
I'm waiting to see the actual, verifiable results. If Frist can overcome the effects of his double orchiectomy, more power to him—but to date, the results have made the word "ludicrous" seem a term of high praise.

rick_reno
July 7, 2004, 06:18 PM
It's the election. Fear not, when it's over they'll be back to business as usual in their "tit for tat" club.

madcowburger
July 7, 2004, 06:42 PM
Standing Wolf, I hear you.

The opera ain't over till the fat lady sings, and she's going to sing around 12:01 A.M of September 14. That's when we'll know.

MCB

Waitone
July 7, 2004, 07:42 PM
Interesting Frist begins using procedure now just a few day before recess for the election. If spinelessrepublicans were indeed growing a spine it would have been evident long ago.

Bitching and bellyaching about the democrats holding to a supermajority ot report judicial nominees for a vote just don't cut it. Frist could have shut that game down with a simple senate vote. He didn't, Bush wants the issue not the results.

I hate to break it to you but that bulge ain't a spine. Its a pimple.

Standing Wolf
July 7, 2004, 11:27 PM
I hate to break it to you but that bulge ain't a spine. Its a pimple.

Sad to say, I think you're probably right.

F4GIB
July 8, 2004, 01:33 AM
"Election day is fast approaching and they know their base is dissatisfied."

That's the truth. As the 19th century saying goes:
Politicians will see the light when they feel the heat!

Greg Bell
July 8, 2004, 02:07 AM
Whatever! Kiss the AWB goodbye! They have got my vote!

Croyance
July 8, 2004, 03:19 AM
A cornered rat will fight.
Is the GOP growing a spine? No, it is an orginization of politicians.
They are protecting their voter base - their elected offices. It is in their self interest to prevent the AWB from getting through.

madcowburger: it isn't over when the fat lady sings. After the election, no matter who wins (not the citizens of this country) there are more sessions of Congress and Senate. More opportunites to get a new AWB through, maybe one without a sunset. Without a looming election, what is the incentive of Republicans to keep it from getting through?

Zundfolge
July 8, 2004, 10:58 AM
Without a looming election, what is the incentive of Republicans to keep it from getting through?
Because there is ALWAYS a looming election and there's always fund raising.

What we need is for Republican gun owners en masse to write, call and email their reps and the party leadership and say flatly that you will leave the GOP for the LP if they pass ANY gun control.

We have the numbers in the GOP to pull this off ... just not the coordination (plus the LP isn't exactly waiting with open arms for a bunch of Republicans)

Brett Bellmore
July 8, 2004, 11:31 AM
No, there's always a next election, but when it's two years away, it's not "looming". They can easily rationalize that we won't stay pissed off THAT long. And even if they did turn out to be wrong about that, the damage would still be done.

Immediately after the election is always the most dangerous time, when you're dealing with politicians who aren't really on your side, just too intimidated to cross you. And that's a good description of too many of our "allies" in Congress.

Cool Hand Luke 22:36
July 8, 2004, 11:38 AM
What we need is for Republican gun owners en masse to write, call and email their reps and the party leadership and say flatly that you will leave the GOP for the LP if they pass ANY gun control.

We have the numbers in the GOP to pull this off ... just not the coordination (plus the LP isn't exactly waiting with open arms for a bunch of Republicans

I'm not trying to discourage any letter writing or phone calling, however, in addition to that activity, isn't it time for American gun owners (those who support the 2nd amendment anyway) to start trying to find some alternatives to the Republican party?

Isn't it time to start supporting alternatives to a Republican party that's full of backstabbing, pro gun control RINOs like Sen. John Warner of Virginia?

riverdog
July 8, 2004, 11:38 AM
Cheney sparked this when he told NE liberal Democrat Leahy to go F*** himself. I think some dominoes fell and here we are. I hope Frist feels good about it, maybe he'll do it again.

Bartholomew Roberts
July 8, 2004, 01:43 PM
Without a looming election, what is the incentive of Republicans to keep it from getting through?

There are several strong (GOA A-rated) pro-gun candidates running for the vacated Senate seats left by retiring Senators (the majority of those Senators being antis). Those candidates CAN win (one, Jim DeMint of SC won the Republican primary already); but only if gun owners get out and support them.

The incentive of the Republican party to keep it from getting through is VOTES. You do that by getting people who are pro-gun elected in the primaries and then the general election.

In Oklahoma, Dr. Tom Coburn is GOA A+ rated but faces a tough battle in the Republican primary (July 27). In Georgia, A-rated Mac Collins is running for Zell Miller's seat and faces a tough primary. The primaries are the place that party policy is decided. You want to give either party incentive? Show them that the votes are there by voting in the primaries to advance pro-gun candidates.

Croyance
July 8, 2004, 04:36 PM
Isn't it time to start supporting alternatives to a Republican party Its always been time. Putting all your chips on the Republican square is just dangerous. We always should have supported candidates who support our rights. Otherwise you end up with a party that takes your vote for granted. You also get candidates that are just kind of pro-gun, or not as anti-gun as the alternative. Voting by party is just the simple way out.

Bainx
July 8, 2004, 08:00 PM
Or at least a brain?

No.

He's keeping Cheney on the ticket. No signs of brain growth there.

M2HMGHB
July 8, 2004, 08:44 PM
I got a question for ya'll. You seem to keep forgetting that some states have more comprehensive bans on firearms that WILL NOT sunset. What do you intend to do about them?

JohnKSa
July 8, 2004, 09:07 PM
WE are the spine of politicians.

Left to themselves most of them are no better than wet noodles.

Greg Bell
July 8, 2004, 10:39 PM
Cool hand,

I'm not trying to discourage any letter writing or phone calling, however, in addition to that activity, isn't it time for American gun owners (those who support the 2nd amendment anyway) to start trying to find some alternatives to the Republican party?

The only alternative is the Democratic party. And that is no alternative at all.

Greg Bell
July 8, 2004, 10:43 PM
Bartholomew Roberts,

Sadly, Mac Collins has no chance. It will be Isakson. He is has an A rating from the N.R.A. so he will be do.

VaniB.
July 8, 2004, 11:57 PM
I got a question for ya'll. You seem to keep forgetting that some states have more comprehensive bans on firearms that WILL NOT sunset. What do you intend to do about them?

NOT LIVE THERE!!

I moved the heck out of the Northeast 26 years ago. I miss only the snow capped hills and would consider moving back primarilly for that in my retirement. But the Northeast state I choose would have to recognize my second amenment rights, have no state income tax, and vaguely resemble conservative and Republican values: NEW HAMPSHIRE!

(Not that Republican values are great, but I'll sure take it over Massachusettes or New Jersey style Democrat values!)

Pendragon
July 9, 2004, 09:55 AM
"NOT LIVE THERE"

Put me down for that.

I moved out of CA, now I am in TX, the CA AWB is simply not my problem - or, if it is, it is way way way down on the list....

If you enjoyed reading about "Could The GOP Be Growing A Spine?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!