30mm body myths?

PDA

jimbo
July 7, 2004, 11:31 PM
I keep hearing the myth repeated that 30mm scope bodies do not provide more light transmission but only allow for greater adjustment (all things being equal.)

Since there seems to be no absolute consensus on this, lets try some logic.

Europeans use 30mm scope bodies.

Europeans often hunt at night.

This leads one to believe Europeans like 30mm bodies for the extra light they provide at night.

Now, if 30mm scope bodies don't provide extra light but only provide additional adjustment, then why do Europeans use them? Do they take such long shots and have such variable conditions that they need this huge adjustability for their hunting? I am thinking, no.

Therefore I would deduce that Europeans use 30mm scope bodies not for greater adjustment but for greater light transmission.

What am I missing here?:confused:

If you enjoyed reading about "30mm body myths?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Zak Smith
July 8, 2004, 03:19 AM
Some people buy SUVs because they "feel safer" in them, not because they are safer in them.

-z

Delmar
July 8, 2004, 04:15 AM
The benefits of a 30MM tube are supposed to be:

1. Because the light going through the tube is not bent as much, there is less distortion around the edge and a sharper image overall.

2. The wider internal lenses will allow more passage of light and provide a brighter image.

Graystar
July 8, 2004, 04:57 AM
Some people buy SUVs because they "feel safer" in them, not because they are safer in them. Bad example...stats prove that they are.

I like 30mm simply because I can see more through the larger tube. Target acquisition is easier.

JohnBT
July 8, 2004, 09:00 AM
I thought some 30mm scopes used 1-inch-scope innards and some used 30-mm-scope innards. Wouldn't light gathering ability vs. adjustment range depend on which kind of scope a person bought?

John

Delmar
July 8, 2004, 09:12 AM
JohnBT-the real cheap ones do use 1" components, or used to anyway. Scopes are like camera's-want a good picture? Get a good camera.

Hawk
July 8, 2004, 02:27 PM
My impression is that, all things being equal, the adjustment range will be greater with 30mm, tube strength itself will be greater and there's a potential that diffusion will be slightly decreased and resolution slightly increased.

However, all things are seldom equal. My 89.00 gunshow 30mm 6-25 illuminated mil-dot scope did not out-perform my 1" Leupold during the time that it worked. There will more likely be a discernable difference between a 1" Leupold and a 30mm Leupold.

digression:
Some people buy SUVs because they "feel safer" in them, not because they are safer in them. Actually, Mr. Zak nailed it spot-on.

From: here (http://www.hwysafety.org/) - the "research by topic" area:
Occupant deaths per million registered passenger vehicles 1-3 years old:
All Cars: 124
All SUVs: 120
For the latest year data available - pretty much a "push".

All things being equal, a vehicle of greather weight and size will be safer in a crash. Kinda like scopes, though, all things are not equal. Some SUV's are way better than others, ditto cars.

Generally a large luxury car will be safer than an SUV of equivalent weight. The SUV provides an advantage in a multiple vehicle crash against a car weighing less but numbers picked up there are immediately lost back in single vehicle incidents, not all attributable to rollovers although that little weakness remains at a rate 2-1/2 times cars.

My own personal observations to the contrary notwithstanding, empirical evidence does not bear out my observation that my morning commute resembles a medieval jousting tournament, the one area where driving an H2 is a decided advantage ;)

An opinion I hear voiced is that the PERCEPTION of SUV safety may in fact lead to unfortunate outcomes simply because the driver has gotten a bit inattentive due to the belief. Seems plausible. Think of it as situational awareness going condition White when condition Orange may be called for.

Non-troll assertion: I have nothing against SUV's. They do things cars can't. There's a lot to like about them, but safety isn't one of them, unless you can guarantee only multiple vehicle accidents in your future. And with more and more of 'em, even that advantage will evaporate as we reach "SUV vs SUV smackdown" time.

Sorry about the length - guess I must have one too many family members in the insurance business :o Now, if you'll excuse me, we're taking my buddy's Escalade to lunch - my Firehawk won't fit enough people.

JohnBT
July 8, 2004, 03:53 PM
"The Leupold Answer Guide

Advantages of a 30mm Maintube

Does a 30mm maintube give you more light?

The principal advantages of the 30mm tube are added strength and increased adjustment range for windage and elevation. For example, the M8-12X (1" maintube) has a total elevation adjustment of 51 minutes. The Mark-4 M1-10X (30mm maintube) has 90 minutes. The percentage of light passing through a scope is a function of lens coating and optical design, and has nothing to do with tube diameter."

I knew I read this somewhere. John

Zak Smith
July 8, 2004, 04:01 PM
In a 1x red dot, a larger tube diameter is worthwhile.

In magnified scopes, better figures to look at are field of view, eye relief, and brightness.

-z

If you enjoyed reading about "30mm body myths?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!