Yoiks - my email notifications dried up!

PDA

P95Carry
July 9, 2004, 01:18 AM
Noticed this evening ... even after posting on a thread - no email notification when someone else followed. Only discovered by accident when browsing thread listings later.

Only happened over last few hours i reckon ... and, to be sure - checked my spam filter and ... nothing held up there.

Wonder why? Everyone else getting theirs? Other emails are comin in as normal it seems, so shouldn't be my ISP mail server.

If you enjoyed reading about "Yoiks - my email notifications dried up!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mtnbkr
July 9, 2004, 10:14 AM
Are you using Verizon for your ISP?

I am and I have the same problem. After many phone calls to them and several emails to Derek, the problem appears to be a spam filter Verizon uses that does not like the false email address used on the notification emails. After being asked to check my filter settings for the umpteenth time (even after they told me what the problem is), I gave up on it. I haven't received notifications in about 3 months.

Chris

Derek Zeanah
July 9, 2004, 11:48 AM
AOL is likely having problems too due to the same cause (spam avoidance.) It'll be a week before I have time to make the DNS changes they're requiring (basically, changing my DNS provider to host my own DNS).

P95Carry
July 9, 2004, 12:14 PM
Hi Chris ... no. my ISP is small local outfit and they use a third party spam filter site - which works quite well. I can (and do) regularly check and skim thru the dross to see if I need to ''authorize'' anything that needs let thru. I decide when to trash what's there - so can intercept stuff if need be.

Wierd ... still no more notifications as of now ... that's near 24 hours and there should be a few at least. Can't think why right now but - it's a bummer!

Spot77
July 9, 2004, 10:18 PM
Hey P95 - it sucks doesn't it?

Mine quit about three months ago - it's dang near impossible to follow a conversation when you don't get the email notifications.

It happened once before and magically fixed itself, but not this time:(

P95Carry
July 9, 2004, 10:29 PM
Scott - you must have similar prob to Chris (MTNBKR) ... not good! True enough - following the course of a thread is nigh impossible without it.

I think my prob must have been due to this wierd posting glitch thingie the site has had ... I am now getting notifications again tonight. Hopefully back to normal.

Spot77
July 9, 2004, 11:58 PM
Good for ya!

I'm pretty sure I'm FUBAR'd for good though!

We'll miss you at the THR shoot in Westminster this weekend....

WonderNine
July 10, 2004, 05:55 PM
Why do you use email notification? I just search on my name all the time. Seems far easier.

P95Carry
July 10, 2004, 07:42 PM
Why do you use email notification? W9 .. you've never used it?? I doubt there is anything to better it .... no search needed .. just a heads up when a thread one is involved with gets replies .... it's quick too ... being at my puter so much - usually - I ''hear'' emails drop in every 60 seconds .... and if I want just quickly go check.

Sure miss it if not there.

Scott ..... sorry if it is total FUBAR for you .. that really sux, bigtime. Hope you guys had a good get together at Hap Baker ..... and of course, sorry couldn't join you.

I did tho get some good range time this afternoon ... somewhat more locally ... I am joining a guy to help run an NRA basic pistol course and met him at his range - partly to discuss details but also to shoot ...... carrying about as many handguns as is possible - on a motor cycle!! :p They were running some IDPA stuff.

And - WOW - you should see this facility .. awesome. Whole place set in 160 plus acres ... five (yes, five) skeet stations .... rifle, pistol, indoor .. and new turning target stuff on the way. had to join!! Tho may not getover there too often.

Anyways as I said . hope those of you shooting did enjoy ... I shall be trying to get down there late fall/early winter with luck .... tho hate to even think of that time of year right now.

Best

If you enjoyed reading about "Yoiks - my email notifications dried up!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!