Electric Bullets?

PDA

Michigander
July 9, 2004, 12:25 PM
Anyone hear of the ShockRound(TM) (http://www.shockrounds.com/shock/p2.html)?

It's a bullets that is supposed to paralyze the target with a 50,000 volt charge, according to Discover Magazine (http://www.discover.com/issues/jun-04/rd/electric-bullets-save-lives/).

Thoughts?

If you enjoyed reading about "Electric Bullets?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JPL
July 9, 2004, 12:41 PM
Does not a Tazer, by any other name, shock just as sweet?

Andrew Rothman
July 9, 2004, 02:50 PM
Nope, not the same at all.

ShockRounds™ are specialized bullets and/or non-lethal munitions that generate a high voltage charge and are fully compatible with standard ammunition calibers. This voltage discharges upon impact causing immediate target incapacitation.

ShockRounds™ use what is known as the "piezoelectric effect" to generate a high voltage charge. This is accomplished with PZT Ceramic crystals.

benewton
July 9, 2004, 02:58 PM
If I must fire, I want the biggest hole I can get in one side and out the other.

'cause if I have to fire, game time is over.

JPL
July 9, 2004, 03:59 PM
Shakespeare is obviously lost on this crowd...

Andrew Rothman
July 9, 2004, 04:21 PM
Nah, just too trite to merit any response... :D

Jim K
July 9, 2004, 04:31 PM
OK, JPL, we'll shoot roses.

If the guy has a battery (or that which we call a battery) that will do that, it is wasted on bullets. Every auto maker in the world should be lining up.

Back around 1900, the Army established the Board of Ordnance and Fortifications. One of the board's duties was to review all proposals from the public for new weapons. Their minutes are pretty funny. One of the porposals was for an electric cannonball (sketch shown) which had a battery in it. The inventor stated that when the cannonball hit an enemy soldier, the battery would electrocute him. His letter informed the Board that he was willing to pursue the idea further on receipt of $10,000, which was the almost invariable amount demanded at the time by inventors.

The Chairman, John Taliferro Thompson (yes, that Thompson) directed the secretary, Isaac Newton Lewis (yes, that Lewis) to respond that the invention was not needed. No one asked what purpose it would serve to shock a person already hit by a cannonball, although I am sure the board members thought of the question.

(The Board has long been the subject of jokes over the famous letter rejecting the Wright brothers' offer to sell an airplane to the Army. What is not realized is that the Board received hundreds of proposals for flying machines each year, always accompanied by the inevitable request for $10,000 to finance experiments. The Board misunderstood the Wrights, and did not realize that they were trying to sell a plane that worked, rather than asking for money for experiments.)

Jim

Majic
July 9, 2004, 06:56 PM
As the bullet performs like a normal 9mm it still penetrates and destroys tissue. Where is it less lethal?

Michigander
July 9, 2004, 07:23 PM
From what I read in the Discovery article:
“When Amadou Diallo was reaching for his wallet, the police put 40 bullets in him before he hit the ground,” says inventor and munitions expert John LeBourgeois of Technosis, in Moffett Field, California. “I read that and decided there had to be a better way.” In New York’s Diallo case, an innocent person died because police mistakenly thought he was pulling out a weapon. If cops could completely incapacitate a person with a single gunshot, LeBourgeois reasoned, they could use lethal force sparingly and still be safe themselves (a mortally wounded person can fire back for many seconds before losing consciousness).(emphasis added)

Point being that a person shot once in the thigh (or toe, or arm, etc.) with a 9mm round can, in many cases, continue to fire back at you. With this bullet, even if it strikes the toe, the perp would be incapacitated and unable to shoot for some length of precious gunfight time.

Majic
July 9, 2004, 08:04 PM
That still doesn't reduce the lethality of the bullet like they claim. COM shots are taken for 2 reasons. One is to disrupt blood flow to vital organs. The second is that the torso is the largest most stable part of the human anatomy when it's in motion. Under stress this is the easiest target to hit.
Since this new bullet still performs like a normal bullet it has the capability to penetrate and destroy tissue which can cause death.
Start teaching people to take shots at extremeties to not damage organs will result in more missed shots that could mean an increase in collateral damage, not a reduction.

JPL
July 10, 2004, 02:32 AM
Where's Henry V for his "band of buttheads" speech when you need it...

Red Tornado
July 10, 2004, 03:01 AM
It's not the volts that matter. It's the amps. Common misconception when trying to convey a powerful electric charge. 50,000 volts at 10 milliamps won't damage you at all. Neither will 100,000 volts be any more effective. However, any voltage at a higher amperage can knock you senseless.:what: Tell me the amperage involved, and I'll take it seriously.

Disclaimer: I'm neither physicist nor electrician, I just play one when the need arises.:)
RT

The_Antibubba
July 10, 2004, 06:11 AM
Does the inventor realize that an electric bullet will not help a LEO stop a BG if said LEO needs to fire 40 rounds to hit said BG 12 times from 10 yards away?

In other words, if a LEO hit the broad side of a barn from inside, how will this help?

:rolleyes:

Autolite
July 11, 2004, 01:34 AM
Do the rounds come in 'less lethal DC' or 'evil AC' ???

Archie
July 11, 2004, 01:44 AM
If we have a projectile that is effective out past 100 meters, won't kill anyone, and instantly stops them, [hip mode]I can get jiggy with it.[/hip mode]

Now. Is there any real world evidence?

P. S. How much does it cost, per round?
Does it come in common lawman calibers and will it shoot out of the gun I already carry?

Reno
July 11, 2004, 02:01 AM
You can be sure if it's Westinghouse..

And if it's 9mm, it's not going to be very lethal anyway :uhoh: :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Electric Bullets?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!