Ok, Ok, Ok....

PDA

Mike_IN_PA
July 9, 2004, 01:48 PM
So after reading all the comments here the past few weeks on how we should be writing our Reps and Senators on what we feel about the AWB I finally got off my duff and did some writing of my own.

I want to say thanks to all of those who post here regularly and encourage us to write. Congrats on getting yet another one of us "armchair warriors" involved and concerned enough to take the first step.

Thought that I would share with you all what I wrote our 2 Sen's from PA. Let me know what you think!

Senators’ Rick Santorum and Arlen Specter
511 DIRKSEN SENATE OFFICE BUILDING
WASHINGTON DC 20510
711 HART SENATE OFFICE BUILDING
WASHINGTON DC 20510

Friday, 09 July, 2004

Dear Sirs:

I am writing to you to express my thoughts on the “Assault Weapons Ban” set to expire in the coming weeks. It is my understanding that Senator Dianne Feinstein is attempting to extend this ban or even make it permanent. It is with my highest and strongest possible recommendation that you do not support her in these endeavors.

I am sure that the good Senator from California (a term used loosely in this case) and those of her ilk are sincere in battling crime and ridding this nation of cowardly criminals who would use a gun as a first and last resort to take from those who actually work for a living. However, denying law-abiding citizens from every opportunity to defend themselves, hunt, pursue a hobby, collect, or merely find camaraderie and relaxation in the gentlemanly art of firearms competition is anathema to our civil liberties, not to mention the rights guaranteed in the Constitution to the “… pursuit of happiness”. It is not a matter of questioning why people would buy an assault weapon or for what purpose, but what is an assault weapon? The term has been bandied about in the press for the past ten years so much that I am afraid you could classify a common office stapler as an assault weapon if it was painted black and attached a pistol grip to it! In effect the term has become useless and has no basis in fact.

Furthermore, this law does not show any evidence that it reduces crime. It is merely presented to the American people as window dressing. Its purpose is to make the people feel that something is being done, but in reality it does nothing. If you were to ask 100 people “off the street” I am sure you would find that all of them think the AWB banned machine guns from being sold and made them illegal entirely. Of course all of us here know that machine guns have nothing to do with the AWB and have been regulated but legal to own since the National Firearms Act of 1934. This so-called law has been manipulated and perverted by the press and Democratic Party for so long that no one is even sure of what it does anymore, but that it must surely be “doing something good”. This law does not serve the public as a whole. What we do need is stronger enforcement of the laws already passed and not to enforce them "selectively" when it is deemed appropriate for good press.

Why must the people be subjugated and denied freedom because some areas of the country are incapable or incompetent to effectively deal with criminals? Is what is good for the few acceptable to the majority? At what point do we as Republicans say that THIS line is the LAST line we will draw and we will not be pushed any further? At what point do we as AMERICANS say that enough is enough and that we must be held accountable for our own actions, for better or for worse, and reign in the power and control of government over our lives? Gun Control is but one issue of a larger arena, but it stands at a very powerful crossroads in all other battles. Gun ownership is the epitome of personal defense, self-reliance, responsibility, maturity and trust. It serves to educate mankind on the stewardship of power, what that power means, its rewards and punishments. It also educates the mind on safety, the ability to assess right and wrong, and more importantly the willingness to act on those mental and physical abilities. And most importantly, accepting the consequences of those actions.

The loss of life when that power is applied incorrectly or without conscience and morality is a sad thing. Please, do not misunderstand me on this, but this is why we have laws and why these actions are deemed criminal. The history of mankind is not pretty; it is filled with war, disease, pain and failure. It is a plain and simple fact Senators that those who choose to live outside the laws of society will use any means or method to acquire a firearm or any type of weapon so they can continue to live outside the law that the rest of us abide by. So I ask you, why does that mean the whole of society must succumb to the minority?

As you can see, this one issue affects all other issues. It is a matter of freedom in its truest sense. The words of Ronald Reagan from “A Time For Choosing” ring just as true today as they did 40 years ago;

“It's time we asked ourselves if we still know the freedoms intended for us by the Founding Fathers. James Madison said, "We base all our experiments on the capacity of mankind for self government."
This idea? That government was beholden to the people, that it had no other source of power is still the newest, most unique idea in all the long history of man's relation to man. This is the issue of this election: Whether we believe in our capacity for self-government or whether we abandon the American Revolution and confess that a little intellectual elite in a far-distant capital can plan our lives for us better than we can plan them ourselves.”

It is my sincerest hope that you will heed these words spoken by our former President to heart. A matter of freedom is not a small and simple thing, only by the actions of honest men may we all continue to enjoy them.
Thank you for your time in this matter

If you enjoyed reading about "Ok, Ok, Ok...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
fletcher
July 9, 2004, 02:11 PM
Great work :D I hope (but doubt) the senators will actually read it in its entirety.

Just want to point out though - I think " rights guaranteed in the Constitution to the “… pursuit of happiness”." is from the Declaration of Independence...

Leatherneck
July 9, 2004, 02:20 PM
Fletcher may be right; but don't let that worry you--the Senators won't know. :neener:

TC
TFL Survivor

Mike_IN_PA
July 9, 2004, 02:36 PM
you always forget one dang thing.

stoopid spellcheck! why doesnt microsoft build a tool to check for errors like that?

Luckily I still have the letters sitting here on my desk, will change that and pick up some more stamps before I mail them on the way home from work!

Ironbarr
July 9, 2004, 02:42 PM
Well done, Mike.

Sure hope that these CC's (congress critters) pay attention to our messages... sooner or later we all will have had enough and there'll be a major effort to unelect them in droves. How about 1000 court cases across the country re constitutional degradation by their bill patronage, sponsorship and voting records, etc.?

Noise - every other group makes noise - we don't - we just groan among ourselves. And not even a choir gown to go with it.

-Andy

If you enjoyed reading about "Ok, Ok, Ok...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!